PDA

View Full Version : Vl rb30

Breaks
5th November 2012, 11:15 PM
Gday guys, throwing out an expression of interest question.
Ive juz found out today that my TB42 gbox has given up the ghost and is guna cost me 1500 to get the rig goin again. My motors the TB42 carby version with gas,with 300,000ks on it and is 100% stock!
Ive owned 4 VLs all with the RB30 N/A motor and know it very well wen workin on it. My mate has one with 100,000k on it which i can get for $600. I wouldnt mind turboing it and throwin it in my GQ.
Will the GQ RB30 gbox bolt up to the efi 30 motor? (I believe the 42 boxs r bigger?)
Will the GQ 30 bolt to my transfer case or do i need the 30 transfer?
Will i need to change the diff ratios? Im runnin 35s.
And, Will the 30 box and motor bolt strate to the existing 42 engine and gbox mounts?
Im asking cos I like the amount of off the shelf bolt on parts for the 30 and know the motors well which always helps if anything goes wrong out in the bush.
Cheers for ur opinions and experiences!

GQ TANK
6th November 2012, 09:08 AM
The box's are differant - I belive the rd28 and rb30S box are the same.

You will notice a big diffeanrce in a rb30 N/A compared to the 4.2, But with a turbo - the rb30 will deliver more power.

nissannewby
6th November 2012, 09:51 AM
Gday guys, throwing out an expression of interest question.
Ive juz found out today that my TB42 gbox has given up the ghost and is guna cost me 1500 to get the rig goin again. My motors the TB42 carby version with gas,with 300,000ks on it and is 100% stock!
Ive owned 4 VLs all with the RB30 N/A motor and know it very well wen workin on it. My mate has one with 100,000k on it which i can get for $600. I wouldnt mind turboing it and throwin it in my GQ.
Will the GQ RB30 gbox bolt up to the efi 30 motor? (I believe the 42 boxs r bigger?)You may need a bellhousing but should bolt up
Will the GQ 30 bolt to my transfer case or do i need the 30 transfer?Im not sure on this one I thought the T/C were all the same
Will i need to change the diff ratios? Im runnin 35s.Yes you will want 4.6 ratios and transfer reduction for offroad
And, Will the 30 box and motor bolt strate to the existing 42 engine and gbox mounts?The engine no but the gearbox should be able to use same crossmember
Im asking cos I like the amount of off the shelf bolt on parts for the 30 and know the motors well which always helps if anything goes wrong out in the bush.
Cheers for ur opinions and experiences!

Hopefully others will add to this. And yes 42 boxes are bigger.