PDA

View Full Version : weird vibration/knocking

luvpsi
5th November 2012, 09:09 PM
hey guys over the last few 4x4 trips i have done i have got a weird vibration/knocking from the front right hand wheel when the hubs have been locked in. i could have them locked in for a few hours and hit a bump hard enough and it will start. the vibrations/knock will then seem to happen when going over bumps etc and seems to only do it while turning right. when back on the tarmac and hubs unlocked it will do it while turning right and accelerating if not accelerating wont do it. if i lock the hubs unlock them again it will stop it is weird it sort of feels like a shock bottoming out but im unsure. now i know its not a cv as a cv would cause this all the time it only seems to be on and off

any ideas. i cant seem to see any issues. my next step is hub if its hub i will do a GU upgrade

Sir Roofy
5th November 2012, 09:28 PM
Dont know for sure but could be a broken spring
inside the hub

Bigrig
5th November 2012, 09:35 PM
Check all bushes, joints and rubbers on the steering arm, tie rod, panhard, radius arms, and steering damper mate - then check the front body mounts for cracking

CV is more like a harsh clicking/metal clunking noise (good description hey!! lol) but can cause a juttery feel also, but it doesn't sound like that from what you describe ... Check the shock and spring mounts also.

After that, I'd assume check the hub (easy job) and run a spanner over all other bolts (including the caliber mounts) and if you don't find anything then you may have to start digging deeper and rip out the cv for a look see ...

Generally the passenger side engine mount is the one that'll go, and odd that its only when turning right, but you may as well inspect it also whilst you're at it ... doubt it highly, but to be sure, to be sure as the Irish say ...

Others will have input also I'd reckon - good luck with it mate.

luvpsi
5th November 2012, 10:11 PM
The thing that gets me is that it only does it when hubs are locked when on road it's like hub not unlocking properly so I lock it and undo it and it goes away I can go over speed bumps and it doesn't do it but it's like something is loose I'll chuck it up on hoist and have a look

luvpsi
5th November 2012, 10:26 PM
I'm thinking it could be shockie bushes but doesn't explain the vibration

luvpsi
6th November 2012, 09:34 AM
Seeing as it does it on a right hand turn could it be steering box at all fluids are up tho

Bigrig
6th November 2012, 10:12 AM
Seeing as it does it on a right hand turn could it be steering box at all fluids are up tho

Doubt it unless its on absolute full lock and you're actually getting kick back through the steering wheel?

threedogs
6th November 2012, 10:18 AM
I'll go enginge mount, just floor it and look at gear stick if it moves 5-6 inches problem solved

luvpsi
6th November 2012, 10:45 AM
But it's not constant so how could it be engine mount

Bigrig
6th November 2012, 11:34 AM
I'll go enginge mount, just floor it and look at gear stick if it moves 5-6 inches problem solved

Yeah, I mentioned mount just for checking, but would be odd to be the drivers side mount though ... but agreed on checking it to be certain.

Luvpsi

turning right would put "inertia" on the engine to the left as it were, and allow the mount to move, but you'd think engine twist would counter the inertia as such (if that makes sense). Not sure on this one, but as said, worth ruling out through the check anyways ...

threedogs
6th November 2012, 11:42 AM
Go back to shocker theory , vibration easy enough if not all round, bunp makes sense too. gett undrneath with large screwriver on check all bushes.
Constant vbration, change some wheel over back to front not side to side. I think something may be loose

luvpsi
6th November 2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah will look I'm still leaning to a hub issue as its only when hub is locked or has been locked

Sir Roofy
6th November 2012, 01:20 PM
still think its a broken spring in the hub or bearings

luvpsi
6th November 2012, 01:46 PM
Going to put it on hoist this arvo and check all bushes and components and hub

luvpsi
6th November 2012, 10:00 PM
Ok did a bit of investigating seems as tho left front wheel bearing needs adjusting and the hubs are pretty dry and need regressing the knock I believe is a shocki

luvpsi
7th November 2012, 07:46 PM
Had another looksi today and found my body mount in front of right front wheel near where bullbar mount to chassis has a bit of movement in it maybe this causing the knocking

BigRAWesty
7th November 2012, 09:05 PM
Try spraying a little crc or sowing machine oil on it. Then drive.. You'll soon know if it's your cause..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

luvpsi
7th November 2012, 09:15 PM
Try spraying a little crc or sowing machine oil on it. Then drive.. You'll soon know if it's your cause..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

On the mount or the hub

BigRAWesty
7th November 2012, 09:38 PM
On the mount.
IMO if it was a hub issue it would affect steering aswell.
I have similar issues with mine ATM. Only started after fitting castor correction bushes. I've been told that after market ones ate slightly narrower the genuine nissan, so the do slide up and down which develops more over time.. Mine is quite bad now, so I will be searching for the issue..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

BigRAWesty
8th November 2012, 05:00 PM
Well I have found my knocking problem, buy got a but confused with the 2 threads going ATM. Mine was a loud knock when the drivers side wheel was compressing, in any situation.

Well I got underneath with the old man jumping on the bull bar and straight away picked the middle radius arm bolt slopping up and down, must not have been tight on install..
So when I get my tools from work I'll pull the bolt out and inspect the diff mount for elongation, and the bolt for wear..

And I ripped the sway bar off the front.. Easy as really for 21 years old nuts and bolts..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Msmit5
22nd November 2017, 05:10 PM
Do you know what the problem was just started happening to mine?