PDA

View Full Version : thrust baring in rd28t?

stevogq
5th November 2012, 06:01 PM
hi guys I need a second opinion before i take her to me mechanic but the problem comes from the clutch, While cold it is fine but feel abit rough when i press the clutch in while driving but is fine on idle when the engine warms up it sounds like a loud vibrating sound (like a tractor) and when i press the clutch to change gears or on idle when its hot the sound goes away and its quiet.

Im guessing its the thust bearing for the sound and the flywheel is starting to warp because i can feel it while im pressing the clutch when driving, the car has done 200k and the clutch was replaced by original owner at 165k.

cheers stevo

stevogq
5th November 2012, 08:38 PM
bump, please help

the ferret
5th November 2012, 09:01 PM
For what it's worth mate, when you push the clutch in, the thrust bearing will spin, if it's flogged it will make a noise.
You are saying that it only makes a noise when the clutch is out, but the thrust bearing is not spinning then.

If you push the clutch in, the input shaft will spin inside the spiggot bearing on the end of the crankshaft and if that bearing or bush is flogged, it will make a noise.
You may have a sick input shaft bearing in the gearbox.
You will get vibration if there are bent or broken fingers on the pressure plate, a well as a loose or missing bolt in the pressure plate.
I would say the gearbox needs to come out to find exactly what the problem is.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, the ferret.

stevogq
5th November 2012, 09:08 PM
cheers ferret but its only happening when the car gets warm, while its cold there is nothing wrong

the ferret
5th November 2012, 09:25 PM
Check the bolts that hold the engine to the gearbox (bell housing) but I think your problem is with the flywheel itself and /or the pressure plate.
Cheers, the ferret.

stevogq
5th November 2012, 09:32 PM
thanks mate ill have a look

stevogq
5th November 2012, 09:50 PM
plasnart you have discribed it exactly what im experiencing although the word "vibrations" is overkill it feels like the clutch strains to engage but does not slip nor if i give it a hard time (changing in high/low revs)even if i drive in 1st and go straight to 3rd gear, we went out this weekend on a driving holiday and didnt notice a diffrence

pearcey
5th November 2012, 10:42 PM
For what it's worth my td42 does exactly the same thing. Rattly clutch with clutch out in neutral and rattle stops when clutch pushed in or in gear. Has done it for as long as I've had it (135k-200k) and have been told its the thrust bearing. But not knowing much about gearboxes I couldn't offer an expert opinion on this. Mine hasn't got any worse and have been told its not a huge issue but just fix it up next time the box is out. I don't have any vibrations though.
G`day Plasnart.
I believe what you are experiencing occurs frequently with 4.2 diesels.Some clutch plates have too weak torque springs and as the engine tends to vibrate at idle this causes the front gearbox shaft to rattle the clutch plate.
Some clutch plates come with heavier torque springs and some come with rubber blocks .But both loose their tension after a period of time.It normally does not effect the performance of the clutch.