PDA

View Full Version : do i need a catch can.

BLKWDW
5th November 2012, 09:47 AM
Hey all i'm just wondering i have a catch can sitting in my shed (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Surge-Catch-Can-Radiator-Overflow-Can-alloy-finish-/261121613489?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccc0f9eb1#ht_521wt_919) and am wondering should i use it on my gq td42? Not sure of any benifits and if i dont need it i'll sell it. just asking as its sitting there at the moment doing nothing.

snewin
5th November 2012, 09:51 AM
I'd say not. I don't think the earlier 4.2L engines had the same issues as the later model 3.0L, but I've been known to be wrong on many occasions. I have a GU 4.2 and I don't need one.

Sir Roofy
5th November 2012, 10:49 AM
ITS MAINLY THE 3Ls THAT PUT THEM ON AND THEY DO KEEP THE M.A.F CLEAN
I HAVE ONE ON MY 3L IVE SEEN A FEW 4.2s THAT WOULD PROBABLY COULD
BENIFIT FROM THE INSTALL JUST TO KEEP THE MIST AT BAY AROUND JOINS
AND TURBOS

nissannewby
5th November 2012, 11:40 AM
I wouldnt worry about it. I run the breathers on both my TD42 patrols to atmo that way it completely eliminates any of the oil/misty/crappy crank case gases going back into my intake.

mudski
5th November 2012, 12:05 PM
Well if you got it. Why not use it? Your engine can only benefit from having it. But like others have said its not really needed.

snewin
5th November 2012, 02:28 PM
I wouldnt worry about it. I run the breathers on both my TD42 patrols to atmo that way it completely eliminates any of the oil/misty/crappy crank case gases going back into my intake.

This what your talking about?

Before

After

As soon as I cut the hose oil started dripping out. Just don't tell me that these turbos need lubricating from the inside lol

nissannewby
5th November 2012, 03:14 PM
Yes mate that's the one. The lubricating oil is kept seperate ideally you want the intake to be as clean as possible with the freshest of air. When the breather goes into there it oils it up and can cause issues and like I said isn't clean

snewin
5th November 2012, 03:22 PM
You're the man, Mat.

nissannewby
5th November 2012, 03:26 PM
I will get some pics up of mine when Im home. Sorry for the thread hijack.

BLKWDW
5th November 2012, 05:17 PM
Na its fine but u say 2 things. 1st post u told me not to worry bout it and second one said its a good idea.

the ferret
5th November 2012, 05:34 PM
Mate, the TD4.2 can do without a catch can, but anything you can do to have clean air input is better.
After all, the TD 4.2 is a real engine, the ZD30DI is just a pretend engine IMO., I know of one that has thrown in the towel at 140 thousand Ks, so much for the modern diesel LOL.
Cheers, the ferret.

nissannewby
5th November 2012, 07:51 PM
Na its fine but u say 2 things. 1st post u told me not to worry bout it and second one said its a good idea.

No I have said was a good idea to breath to atmosphere and not use a catch can at all like the pics that snewin has put up. I don't mean to offend but where did I say use the catch can?

mudski
5th November 2012, 08:05 PM
You hurt my feelings ferret. Huh! I reckon the TD42 is a primitive engine! Take that! :tongue:

the ferret
5th November 2012, 08:18 PM
Sorry Mudski, now don't come on all teary on me ol son.
I have been around diesel engines for nearly 60 years, I've seen good and Ive seen bad.
I know the 4.2 is ancient, just like me, but the bloody things keep going lol.
I have worked on engines the size of a bus, and the last thing I would want to do is sort out the the so called modern ZD30 DI.
Under 200 thousand ks for an engine is not telling me that the particular engine is any good.
The SD33t also does half a million Ks, ancient yes, but still going.
When my RD2.8 has a coronary, I will be shoe horning in an SD33t.
Hope you brighten up now possum,LOL
cheers, the ferret.

Sir Roofy
5th November 2012, 08:31 PM
The 3l might be a toy rod but its all we have left now that the 4.2s what are ouit there
are way beyoned the average price that a bloke on a good wage can even afford and if you
have noticed theres a lot of 3ls starting to show up here
having said that totally agree about what you have said

the ferret
5th November 2012, 08:53 PM
True Roofy, the 4.2 is a bit like the True blue mate, starting to get hard to find.
The ZD 30 is ok as long as you do the NADS as you have done, But I'm darned if I can understand why this is needed with this modern day of engineering.
The problems with these motors should have been foreseen, and Nissan should have done more to help the working man, after all, they are the target customers.
Nissan have turned their back on these working folk, but are more than happy to sell them another motor, just the same, with no improvements.
You can't fork out 60 grand for a new vehicle and have to spend another 12 grand before 200 thousand Ks, as many have had to do.
That's my story and I'm stick'n to it.
Cheers, the ferret.

Sir Roofy
5th November 2012, 09:03 PM
When i was doing the n.a.d.s and was up to the blocking of egr mate the amount
of crap that was accumilateing in the intake was like a black grease only worse
got that on your fingers it stained for a week but you can understand how it chocked the motor once you saw it

the ferret
5th November 2012, 09:32 PM
When i was doing the n.a.d.s and was up to the blocking of egr mate the amount
of crap that was accumilateing in the intake was like a black grease only worse
got that on your fingers it stained for a week but you can understand how it chocked the motor once you saw it

I'm hear'n ya Roofy lol

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/7-1-1.jpg

Cheers, the ferret.

Sir Roofy
5th November 2012, 09:40 PM
i'm hear'n ya roofy lol

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/7-1-1.jpg

cheers, the ferret.

man thats one sick puppy

Rumcajs
5th November 2012, 10:12 PM
If your engine has CCV (closed crankcase ventilation) and is turbo charged than fit catch can full stop unless you want leave oil stains everywhere by venting to atmosphere. Don't be a environmental vandal by doing that way.
It is meant to be there. The car makers are cheap skates and they'll do anything to save a buck so they don't fit one.
Cheers

BLKWDW
11th November 2012, 08:21 AM
No I have said was a good idea to breath to atmosphere and not use a catch can at all like the pics that snewin has put up. I don't mean to offend but where did I say use the catch can?

Yes sorry mate i re read what u said and misunderstood. My engine is non turbo though.