PDA

View Full Version : Fire extingisher position

threedogs
4th November 2012, 11:26 PM
Hi all just thought I 'd mention the best spot for your fire extingisher. And not it wont be bolted to the cargo barrier, but looks pretty there, the best spot is in front or beside the drivers seat, ever the same on the passenger side. ,,, Picture this your fire extingisher in cargo area fire starts easy run around and grab it ,rear doors locked need to run to front to get keys to unlock back, too slow fire already taken hold, never cable tie or bolt to the cargo barrier, Always check every 6 months if still ok. gunna look a right goose if it doesn't work, very affordable now too, and if by chance you have a yellow one hand it in and up date. just little things but out in the Simmo Spinifex seed can work wonders, And make sure you have one for electric on/or fuel fires NOT PAPER or WOOD.. If in doubt ring your local club or fire brigade or whats suitable, once again lives could be at stake. just stay safe its easy as if you think first

P4trol
5th November 2012, 12:42 AM
Been mulling on that for a while. If you muck around for a while, a 1kg one sits neatly next to the drivers left knee. Until you take off the handbrake (no, I hadn't mounted it yet!). Under the front of the seat is also a logical spot, but passenger is sure it reduces HER space...

Any other ideas?

Tipsy-tap

Tank
5th November 2012, 05:49 AM
In my GQ a 1kg is mounted behind the gear lever and in front of the centre consule on the tunnel and another one is mounted just inside the rear door because quite often the camp kitchen is set up around that end

threedogs
5th November 2012, 07:37 AM
Anywhere in the front is fine, on the inside of wheel well, make sure everyone knows how it works too.
It's not a hand grenade for example pull pin and throw it on fire. needs to be accessable. might be
the difference of your pride ond joy being destroyed or getting the fire out and saving all you gear
and continuing your trip
Thats good thinking Tant no point running to front of 4x4 when fire may start at the back .

MC97GQ
5th November 2012, 07:45 AM
Nice thread three dogs,

Another good reason to have it mounted near the drivers position, is if heaven forbid you have a roll over or the likes and the vehicle is on fire, you may be able to prevent yourself going up in smoke.

Mark

nissannewby
5th November 2012, 07:48 AM
We mounted one on the back wall of my mrs GQ ute there is a rib there so the screws dont go out into the open and create holes in the cab. Easily accessible by both driver and passenger too.

04OFF
5th November 2012, 10:52 AM
Agree having 2 is a good idea, firstly if one extinguisher does not work you have a backup, with 2 extinguishers you can put out a bigger fire and someone else can help, plus if you need to use your extinguisher on someone else's fire, you still have one for yourself.

Having two also helps if the fire starts in the location where you have the extinguisher !

I keep one in the drivers door pocket, and the spare on the back of the cargo barrier, my cargo barrier has a flap/window so you can still reach through and grab the second extinguisher from the back seat if you need to.

Cuppa
5th November 2012, 02:30 PM
but out in the Simmo Spinifex seed can work wonders, And make sure you have one for electric on/or fuel fires NOT PAPER or WOOD.

I can't claim any experience, but I've read that fire extinguishers are not that great for spinifex fires under a vehicle. The suggestions I read suggested water in a garden pressure sprayer was the best option for spinifex, something to do with it's waxy nature & propensity to re-ignite???

Cuppa

oncedisturbed
5th November 2012, 06:24 PM
I havent had time to grab a 2nd 1 yet but the first is mounted on the rear pillar next to the small rear door of my wagon

Tap, Tap Taparoo

dads tractor
6th November 2012, 01:06 PM
Rule 1; DON"T PANIC assess where and what is on fire .Rule 2; If its in the engine bay and your using dry chem only lift the bonnet up enough to get a good hit at the fire you dont need a breeze to fan the flames and spread.

Some tips ;Dry chem ex pack the powder down due to vibrations so shake the ex top to bottom side to side as you go to fire and its good practice to do it on your trip pre check and every day if on corrigated roads /tracks. Battery isolates are a exellent idea on the outside of the vehicle stops electical fires spreading .Spinifex fires really need water or foam and a thin steel rod to rack out the packed seeds grass . Dry chem ex choke the fire of o2 but wont cool so reignition is always a possiblity.

Where to mount 1 either side on the seat bases is my suggestion. Prevention is the best form of fire fighting be safe.

dads tractor
7th November 2012, 07:18 PM
sorry three dogs I killed your thread not my intention only trying to give a bit of advice so as to know what ex to buy :-(

mudnut
7th November 2012, 07:43 PM
Agree having 2 is a good idea, firstly if one extinguisher does not work you have a backup, with 2 extinguishers you can put out a bigger fire and someone else can help, plus if you need to use your extinguisher on someone else's fire, you still have one for yourself.

Having two also helps if the fire starts in the location where you have the extinguisher !

I keep one in the drivers door pocket, and the spare on the back of the cargo barrier, my cargo barrier has a flap/window so you can still reach through and grab the second extinguisher from the back seat if you need to.

Yes, it helps to have a backup. An old dodge ute was about to go up in flames. The driver waved us down, and we used our 1kg to put it out, but it re-ignited. It took a fire hose from a nearby factory to kill the fire.

P4trol
8th November 2012, 06:01 PM
You helped them 'put the hell out in dodge'?

Tipsy-tap

taslucas
8th November 2012, 08:53 PM
sorry three dogs I killed your thread not my intention only trying to give a bit of advice so as to know what ex to buy :-(

No need to be sorry mate, you posted good and relevant information:-)

Tap, crackle, pop

Chris79
8th November 2012, 09:42 PM
In a GQ, fits nicely in front of the drivers seat. I imagine GU could be similar?

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/CHRISMAV_2007/4WD/Fireextingusher.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/CHRISMAV_2007/4WD/DSC01473.jpg

jff45
16th November 2012, 09:25 AM
I welded up a bracket from 20 x 5mm flat bar and bolted it in front of the seat so it moves with it.
Had to remove the plastic cover that was there.

Will do the same for passenger side..

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh207/JFF45/0030-1.jpg

threedogs
16th November 2012, 10:29 AM
Your right dads tractor ,you really need a piece of fencing wire pre bent to get those damn places the spinifix seed can get to, especially the radiator, but maybe for another thread on outback Preperation.