PDA

View Full Version : Hard to shift 4h to 4l and back

shaun100
3rd November 2012, 07:05 PM
Hi All,

Took my 4.8 auto GU for a drive today and notived its very hard to shift from $H to $L and harder to stift back.

Any suggestions please????

growler2058
3rd November 2012, 07:16 PM
Is it crunching/grinding?

Going from high to low you should be in neutral and stopped or almost stopped

shaun100
3rd November 2012, 07:19 PM
yep I was totally stopped, no grinding etc, just bloody hard to move the stick.

growler2058
3rd November 2012, 07:28 PM
If it hasnt been used in a while is may need some working to free it up.

MudRunnerTD
3rd November 2012, 07:43 PM
I was in Simon's 4.8 Auto from 4wdTV last week doing Track Clearing and it was a Dog of a thing to shift between Hi and Low4. Not sure if this is an Auto thing though??? I dont think your alone though bud.

shaun100
3rd November 2012, 08:18 PM
wonder if theres something I can lube up.....

Lieney
3rd November 2012, 08:43 PM
Axle wind up causing issues?
Is it harder getting in or getting out of hi or low?
Try backing up a touch if its wind up.

MudRunnerTD
4th November 2012, 12:08 AM
Axle wind up causing issues?
Is it harder getting in or getting out of hi or low?
Try backing up a touch if its wind up.

Nah i dont think so, we struggled with it and could get it by jumping forward a foot. Simon's GU8 has front and rear ARB Lockers that where not engaged so Not possible to get diff wind up as they are open diffs when not engaged.

Felt like the selector to me. Bugger of a thing!

NewDan
9th November 2012, 12:45 AM
Ive got a similar problem but mine is getting it from 4h back into 2h when im back on the hard stuff, feels like im hitting a brick wall. only when going back to 2h, down into 4h and 4 low is easy enough

Jock
9th November 2012, 08:02 AM
I have a 2010 ST Auto and have experienced similar problems. I spoke to my Nissan dealer who assured me this was a common issue at times with all manually operated transfer cases. It can be caused by wind up. He suggested driving down the road 50 metres(or reversing) and/or putting 2 wheels on bitumen and 2 on gravel. He also made it clear that you have to be firm and quick when you shift. I have also recently seen some similar advice on "Your 4x4".

Cheers Jock