PDA

View Full Version : HID spotlight conversion fail. Ideas?

Lonicus
3rd November 2012, 06:35 AM
I just picked up a pair of Nightstalker 200 spotties, converted to HID.

The spread light seems fine but the supposed spot/pencil bean is crap. Rather than producing a beam, it throws out a halo of light with a huge black spot in the middle where the pencil beam of light should be. Needless to say, it's useless, my torch has a stronger beam.

Any ideas on why the spot light throws a halo and not a beam? I'm taking the lights back today but would like to be armed with some info to throw at the guy.

Cheers
Lon

threedogs
3rd November 2012, 07:58 AM
What Globes did you use Bi xenon or xenon ??

Lonicus
3rd November 2012, 09:35 AM
Not sure what's in them 3D.

Just got back, he reckons it's the globes and is going to change them out but that won't be until Tuesday. Will find out what they are then.

Robo
3rd November 2012, 01:42 PM
Sounds a bit like wrong globe for the assembly.
Or globe not seated in base correctly
If its say H3 it should not matter std Halogen or Hid globe.
As the globes focal length is the same.
Ive got night stalkers spreads and no prob with the Hid conversion, love em.
cheers

Lonicus
3rd November 2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks Robo.

Didn't have time to quiz him this morning, he was literally jumping in his car when I pulled up. He's acknowledged it's the globes though and will replace them next week.

Lonicus
7th November 2012, 09:16 PM
New 35W, 6000k, H1 globes in today, just took it out for a run and all is well.

Pouring rain, so not the best night to tell how bright they are but it actually turned out to be a good thing as I got to see how the glare was. Road signs weren't blinding and rain glare was minimal.

All up pretty happy with the lights, will swap out the spread for another spot later and get a 10" LED bar for spread.

Robo
8th November 2012, 12:19 PM
Glare is due to fact 6000k is very white light.
Below 5000k is getting more like traditional yellow-ish light which doesn't glare as much.
below 4000k really yellow, turning to fog-light amber.
Maybe next time consider 55w or 75w upgrade.
I went from 35w to 55w and there is a good difference.

So you had wrong globes or seated incorrectly?.

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2012, 12:25 PM
My XGTs had the same problem on one of them after I converted them. It was back in the day when you could not get a conversion kit for the XGT. My problem was exactly that, the globe in the affected light was seated only a couple of mm back in the casing and it threw the hole thing out of whack. After putting up with it for some time I stripped it out and reset the seat of the globe into the housing further and all good.

Glad he sorted it for you

threedogs
8th November 2012, 12:34 PM
I run 100 HID head lights 6000k and 100 watt HID driving lights 6000k, Thinking you must be using telescopic globes as I cant see xenon globes throwing a halo
3000k will be yellow you want about 50o0k for a white look anything above will have the Blue look that cops love, look up kelvin Temp chart
Carry spare halegen globes incase the boys need you to change them

Irvs
8th November 2012, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't go anything above 5000k. It pisses other drivers off and you start losing practical light output in my opinion. I work in the LED lighting business and the most common colour we use for a work light is 4000k which is a good middle of the road colour.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Lonicus
8th November 2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys.

The lights are fine now, not sure if the globe was faulty or seated incorrectly but the new globe fixed the problem and I now get a nice strong pencil beam from the spotty. I did notice that it had a blue tinge to it so when I need to replace the globes I'll probably go with 5000k at 55W.

For the price I paid I'm happy with them, for now. I know they're not the best around but I'm not doing a lot of night driving and what I am doing is just some highway stuff. Once I get up north I'll reassess and upgrade or add as needed.

Cheers
Lon

Robo
9th November 2012, 01:01 PM
Good idea to get rid of blue tinge.
guess you now have around +7000k for blue ish output
On a wet rd blue means less light.
In the wet at night on unlit urban Rds, 8000k you just about may as well turn the lights off the blue effect is that bad.
blue is soaked up by the water and doesn't reflect back to you , result less seen.

I have posted info on forum a few times now as it really that bad.

8000k at night in the wet, WILL KILL PEOPLE , its is seriously that bad.

Cheers

Lonicus
9th November 2012, 03:16 PM
Yep Robo, 6000k is what he put in them. Not an overly blue tinge, barely noticeable but it was there.

mick.
9th November 2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys.

The lights are fine now, not sure if the globe was faulty or seated incorrectly but the new globe fixed the problem and I now get a nice strong pencil beam from the spotty. I did notice that it had a blue tinge to it so when I need to replace the globes I'll probably go with 5000k at 55W.

For the price I paid I'm happy with them, for now. I know they're not the best around but I'm not doing a lot of night driving and what I am doing is just some highway stuff. Once I get up north I'll reassess and upgrade or add as needed.

Cheers
LonHey Lon I wouldn't be to worried just yet. Yes 6000K is a touch bluer but as your bulbs are new there not bedded in yet so they will lose a little bit of the blue after about 10 hours of use. Most people don't realize that HID bulbs need time to bed in which they drop back in colour and get a touch brighter.

5000K is the cleanest whitest light of them all and the colour you see in factory HIDs is 4300K (4150K to be precise). A factory halogen is about 3750k to 3950K and fog lights are actually 3000K.

Cheers Mick.