PDA

View Full Version : Help!! bearing seal. Which way in.

mudnut
2nd November 2012, 05:10 PM
I did the drivers side seal as per the haynes manual: with the big lip in to the bearing. The passenger side beaing had been done with a different grease, but it too, had the single lip toward the axle. I'm so confused! Have I stuffed up?

the ferret
2nd November 2012, 06:16 PM
The lip always goes to the side that the grease/oil is at, in other words, the lip is to keep the grease/ oil in

This side to the grease http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/imagesCAB83XGN.jpg

mudnut
2nd November 2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks Ferret, but that seal looks different to the ones I got sent to me.

MudRunnerTD
2nd November 2012, 09:10 PM

Yes but the detail is the same. The seal is to keep the grease or oil IN so that should be enough to get you the right direction. Nothin to say the other side is not in wrong mate ;)

Little Mick
2nd November 2012, 09:14 PM
As a general rule the tension spring will go to the inside.

the ferret
2nd November 2012, 09:58 PM

Well it would be, it's a GU rear wheel seal, but the system won't change mate, lip to oil end of story.
Cheers, the ferret

mudnut
3rd November 2012, 01:01 PM
Well it would be, it's a GU rear wheel seal, but the system won't change mate, lip to oil end of story.
Cheers, the ferret

Well, I put the seal in as per the picture in the Haynes manual. There is two small horizontal lips which meet the vertical face on the axle, but that is wrong, because there is no flat metal face, just the edge.
The passenger side was almost new. It also had the large single lip towards the axle, but it was pressed conical in shape and was allowing grease out. i suppose I'll have to spend another 30$ to put the mongrels in that way.