PDA

View Full Version : rd28

procrastinator
2nd November 2012, 02:39 PM
hi all, was contemplating buying myself a 2.8 gu or late gq as my first fourby, was hoping for some thoughts as to this choice- will be using as a daily driver as well as off road playing and possible touring eventually. are theses engines reliable and what is the average longevity like? any help would be appreciated, thanks.

P4trol
2nd November 2012, 02:43 PM
The usual opinions.

2.8 is slow off the mark. Not a tow vehicle. Doesn't go slow enough in 1st low while crawling on 33s.

Tipsy-tap

krbrooking
2nd November 2012, 02:48 PM
Like most cars man if you look after them they look after you. I have got a 99 gu 2.8, x2 in what p4trol said. On can be slow but off road with the wright set up they can be good but if you have the money try get a 4.2n

P4trol
2nd November 2012, 03:33 PM
I know of a 4.2 in Darwin for about $32 big ones

Tipsy-tap

wildgu6
2nd November 2012, 04:50 PM
I got a 2.8 and love it. Can be a bit slow off the mark and up long hills, but its all about the wy you drive it.
As many guys on here will say, look after them & set them up right (exhaust, chips etc) and theyre great.
Never had a prob' towing with mine, but never towed a c'van. Trailers, boats and jetskis not a prob', and out bush it shines, but they are a revy motor.
You need to keep them reving to get the most out of it.
But if i could do it again and had the $$$ it would be a 4.2td.
There are a few threads around on the 2.8 if you feel like searching them down, there is some good reading.

procrastinator
2nd November 2012, 08:34 PM
thanks for the tips. P4trol thanks for the heads up, but 32k a little high for me at the mo

TuffTD42
11th November 2012, 11:54 AM
Go TD42. I have two 2.8's here with expensive engine damage due to the timing belt letting go. Not to mention the many others I have heard of with the same problem. If you end up or can only afford to go with the 2.8 regardless of what the owner says, get a new timing belt & tensioner fitted. Your better of spending a few bucks straight up then either spending $3000 fixing the damage or selling your patrol at a huge loss as parts.
cheers Jono.