PDA

View Full Version : Beware, Paypal scam

the ferret
1st November 2012, 09:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got an email from "paypal"
Dear Paypal Customer.
"Thankyou for your payment of $79.3 AU, if you wish to dispute the payment, please click on the link and log into your paypal A/c and answer the questions.
We will then cancel the transaction and refund your money"

The paypal page looked legit, and I would say many people have been scammed.
Wording to that affect, so they would then have your paypal password and your money is gone!!
Cheers, the ferret

threedogs
1st November 2012, 10:19 AM
As you no doubt know if they ask for bank details ,user names etc 99.9% of the time it'll be a scam.
I get them all the time from commonwealth bank, Nigera lotto, yeah right and old lady picked me out to leave all her money to.
Never answer just delete or in that case report it to PayPal.

snewin
1st November 2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks Ferret.

Maxhead
1st November 2012, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I think I received something similar just the other day.

PayPal, Banks,eBay,etc will never ask for user details in their emails

teno45
1st November 2012, 11:49 AM
I always have made a habit of typing in the address myself (for banking or things with personal details, rather than clicking links in emails.

lorrieandjas
1st November 2012, 12:19 PM
The other thing to remember is Paypal in all email communication will use your registered Paypal account name (username). Phishing scams such as these do not include any of your registered details. Another thing to check is when you look at the link in the email you will see they are a link to something not even close to a paypal link. Safest policy is "if in doubt - do not click". You can always login to your account and check if there is any communication from Paypal there (or your financial institution website, etc) or call them.

Jas

ova50
1st November 2012, 01:45 PM
Ive had a few of these over the past couple of years.
I forward them to: spoof@paypal.com.au
Reckon they are hard to track.

Bloodyaussie
1st November 2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah I never click on links like that.... I will go to the website myself if I am unsure but most of the time it is pretty clear!!

MudRunnerTD
1st November 2012, 04:55 PM
Yep, If it does not say...."Dear Darren" then i Junk it regardless of how many $$Million Dollars i have won or how many times my Account has been frozen!!!!

I gave up buying a Lotto Ticket!! Apparently i Win Big every week! I just put it in Roll Over scheme in the Junk Box ;)

Its Compounding apparently ;)