PDA

View Full Version : Maxtrax, any good?

Lonicus
1st November 2012, 09:32 AM
Anyone had any experience with Maxtrax, or similar?

Thinking that they may be a viable alternative to some snatch recoveries, particularly if the vehicle needing to be recovered doesn't have any decent recovery points fitted.

Given that they're around $300 a pair it'd be nice to know if they're useful before I put them on the every-growing wish list.

krbrooking
1st November 2012, 09:44 AM
Have never used them my self but if you have access to some scaff boards the metal type I had used them before and they worked a treat also I have thought of buying some sort of rubber matt never tried it but I think it would work also can roll it up and stash it easier.

threedogs
1st November 2012, 10:15 AM
Lonicus send me a PM of what you're after

lorrieandjas
1st November 2012, 10:20 AM
I've used them several times - and owned them for about 3 years or so. They work well - the new model is even better. I've used them on all size 4wds and also camper trailers and have never had to dig out or not be able to recover the vehicle. Used them mainly on sand but also on minor mud bogs and they work well. I personally would recommend them. For $300 (if your an RACQ member they are $250 I think) they are an easy alternative to winching/snatching. That said I have also winched and snatched when I haven't had them with me for whatever reason.

To me they are also a little safer than winching/snatching, especially if there is no other vehicle around or suitable anchor then they're a must in my opinion. At threedogs said there is also other options that follow the same principle. Beauty of the maxtrax is they are light - but you do need to store them somewhere. I used to run them on the nosecone of the camper but you can put them on the roof or rear spare - they have some custom fitting straps now as well.

scotty83
1st November 2012, 10:20 AM
Love them. Good in almost every environment. (I have found one there not good in but disclaimer comment). By 2 but I dare say you will be back for another 2 especially if you have a camper. Especially if you have a camper.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Lonicus
1st November 2012, 11:27 AM
PM sent 3D.

Thanks guys, just the sort of info I was after.

Not looking at getting anything just yet as there are soooo many things I want/need to do to the 'trol and I can only accumulate so many brownie points at a time with the boss :)

lorrieandjas
1st November 2012, 12:16 PM
One thing to keep in mind Lonicus is if you are doing some off-road stuff and don't have a winch/hand-winch the minimum you need is a snatch strap, shackles, shovel. The maxtrax I have used as a shovel in the past as well. The other thing to consider is how often you plan on using this stuff. For example - if you get out a couple of weekends a month and perform a recovery a couple of times a month they will be awesome. If however you perform a recovery every 6 months then perhaps the added time to recover via snatching/road-building/digging is an OK trade-off for the money.

Jas

Lonicus
1st November 2012, 01:38 PM
One thing to keep in mind Lonicus is if you are doing some off-road stuff and don't have a winch/hand-winch the minimum you need is a snatch strap, shackles, shovel. The maxtrax I have used as a shovel in the past as well. The other thing to consider is how often you plan on using this stuff. For example - if you get out a couple of weekends a month and perform a recovery a couple of times a month they will be awesome. If however you perform a recovery every 6 months then perhaps the added time to recover via snatching/road-building/digging is an OK trade-off for the money.

Jas

Cheers Jas.

At the moment I'm just trying to get everything together, slowly, for the move up north (Noosa) next year. I plan to do a lot of exploring of the beaches and islands up there, but whether plans and reality coincide I'll just have to wait and see :)

I already have front and rear recovery points from Threedogs, awesome bit of kit! HID driving lights going on today, then down the track will be all the other bits and pieces on the ever-expanding list.

ova50
1st November 2012, 04:50 PM
A friend of mine got a couple of plastic bread crates and cut them up, says they are bloody terrific.

89gqpatrol4x4
1st November 2012, 05:05 PM
Don't have any myself, but saw them in action at straddie twice and within a couple of minutes. Tide was right up and two seperate people towing camper trailers driving along the beach. Probably not the best idea with the waves lapping at your tyres! One car already stuck and trying to dig out when the other went past and got bogged no more than 40mtrs away. He had 4 maxtrax and was out within maybe 2 minutes. The other car borrowed his and was out of the waves in a couple of manouvers. Yes a little exy but worth it imo. I have used 2 pine sleepers before and work great, but they take up alot of room and only $24 for 2

Lonicus
1st November 2012, 05:49 PM
Sounds like there's a few options out there :)

DX grunt
1st November 2012, 09:14 PM
I love my Maxtrax.

There's an upgraded variation, but I'm still happy with them. Got me and others out of sticky situations.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/DXgrunt/DX%20grunt/Recovery%20gear/DXgruntandMaxtrax005.jpg

Take care out there.

Rossco

Clunk
1st November 2012, 10:45 PM
I've also got a set of 2...... Not had to use them yet but I always take them with me when I'm wheeling, just in case......... and yes as has been said before, list of options out there

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

megatexture
1st November 2012, 11:07 PM
Milk crates a great idea! May use that one but I might look at bread trays as they are also double the length cheers

Sir Roofy
2nd November 2012, 07:32 AM
Milk crates a great idea! May use that one but I might look at bread trays as they are also double the length cheers

bread trays sounds good so long as they are,nt to flexy and bend or snap under the wieght

Wizard52
2nd November 2012, 01:51 PM
Just returned from annaul Fraser trip and saw them in action several times by bogged vehicles trying to go over Nagala track.Very soft and deep ruts so low clearance and even standard height units were draging belly along sand (including me) in middle of track. Maxtrax had those bogged out really quick and easy where as I had to dig and need a push to get momentum. A 2" lift is now on the wish list.

Stropp
2nd November 2012, 05:19 PM
yeh i got a set for my birthday for just in case.

Kablamo
4th November 2012, 10:59 AM
Have used them in soft sand and heavy mud and I do consider them mainly a sand based piece of equipment. In mud I guess they're better than nothing but it generally is hit and miss.

harro959
4th November 2012, 01:28 PM
I did some 4wd training a while ago in the vic high country with mountain top experience.

Thoose guys use and swear by these crates, they are milk crates, if you can get one of them you can cut them up and you have 2 sets of tracks.

Very very cheap and weigh nothing. Dont get the maxtrax, save the money for something better like beer and diesel :)

Rumcajs
4th November 2012, 02:03 PM
Think to consider when using them (I haven't use them in anger myself but lend mine to extract others) not to spin the wheel on them as most people are just too eager on the loud pedal. Mine got ruined this way it peeves me off when you tell to slowly drive out over them and they just gun it and leave tyres slipping on them too much so those grip point get melted/burned off. These are MkII upgraded version. They are good for self recovery if you are frequent visitor to sandy beaches but I don't think they're value for money.
Cheers

mudnut
4th November 2012, 03:21 PM
Have never used them my self but if you have access to some scaff boards the metal type I had used them before and they worked a treat also I have thought of buying some sort of rubber matt never tried it but I think it would work also can roll it up and stash it easier.

I've got about 7 mtres of conveyor belt withe tread on one side, I didn't even think of using it for a recovery aid, until you mentioned it, so thanks.

P4trol
4th November 2012, 03:42 PM
Google milk crate maxtrax

Tipsy-tap

lorrieandjas
4th November 2012, 09:50 PM
Think to consider when using them (I haven't use them in anger myself but lend mine to extract others) not to spin the wheel on them as most people are just too eager on the loud pedal. Mine got ruined this way it peeves me off when you tell to slowly drive out over them and they just gun it and leave tyres slipping on them too much so those grip point get melted/burned off. These are MkII upgraded version. They are good for self recovery if you are frequent visitor to sandy beaches but I don't think they're value for money.
Cheers

Heck - they must've gunned it - never had that happen before - but can see how it would.

krbrooking
4th November 2012, 10:04 PM
I've got about 7 mtres of conveyor belt withe tread on one side, I didn't even think of using it for a recovery aid, until you mentioned it, so thanks.

Let us know how it works if you end up using that conveyer belt would be really good, nice and strong.

89gqpatrol4x4
5th November 2012, 07:13 PM
As far as not value for money, I agree they are very expensive and I don't have them myself but If they get you out of your car getting swallowed by the surf then they are money well spent!

mudnut
5th November 2012, 07:44 PM
Let us know how it works if you end up using that conveyer belt would be really good, nice and strong.

I'm gunna try and double it over with tread on both sides. It will be fun going out to get stuck intentionally.

MudMap
2nd October 2013, 04:01 PM
Hi all,

We recently wrote a comparison between MaxTrax and TRED recovery devices. Anyone interested in main features, benefits and comparison of the two products can check out the comparison here: http://blog.mud-maps.com/blog/2013/category/max-trax-vs-tred It also includes reviews and opinions from our Facebook fans that have tired both products.

We hope this helps you all when making a decision on which recovery device to get.

Warm Wishes,
Maria from MUDMAP