PDA

View Full Version : Forum app improvements?

AB
31st October 2012, 08:56 PM
We have a lot of people using tapatalk on their phones with the forum these days.

I've always thought about designing a dedicated app for the forum but tappa seems to have all the functions needed I think???

Is everyone happy with tappa?

Are there any ideas, improvements or enhancements you would want that tappa doesn't have to make it worthwhile to design a custom app or is it perfect?

Any feedback welcomed!!!

MudRunnerTD
31st October 2012, 08:58 PM
I use safari. Tapa sh1ts me

growler2058
31st October 2012, 08:59 PM
I'll have more of a think but off the top of me head there's no thanks button on crapNtap

Sent via my tapping thumbs

growler2058
31st October 2012, 09:00 PM
As a mod ya can't check "reported" posts unless ya go safari

AB
31st October 2012, 09:06 PM
I use safari. Tapa sh1ts me

Why does it sh1t you mr? What's the issue, talk to uncle Ab mate, let it all out bud...lol

NissanGQ4.2
31st October 2012, 09:08 PM
Tappa isn't supported anymore for sh!t phones like my nokia

Give us an cool App Mr Boss :)

Winnie
31st October 2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah can't thank posts, have seen it on another forum with Tappa. Other than that I reckon it's great.

DIAL-A-TAP

growler2058
31st October 2012, 09:09 PM
Search function on tappa is sh@t

Maxhead
31st October 2012, 09:15 PM
In Tappa you can't tell if you have any posts in a thread unless you go into it

an app sounds like a cool idea

Clunk
31st October 2012, 09:17 PM
Tappa isn't supported anymore for sh!t phones like my nokia

Give us an cool App Mr Boss :)

I'll send you over my phone next June mate...... That's when I'll be due a new one ;) ........ You'll be able to tap n crap to your hearts content then.

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

rusty_nail
31st October 2012, 09:22 PM
you cant see videos in tappa, it s limiting what you can and cant view

growler2058
31st October 2012, 09:24 PM
I see dead people
I mean I see vids ok most times

AB
31st October 2012, 09:24 PM
Keep em coming folks...

Clunk
31st October 2012, 09:28 PM

I think the problem with videos could be due to some being hosted on photobucket. I cant play those, but ones on utube are not an issue

rusty_nail
31st October 2012, 09:37 PM
maybe its just my stupid iphone

Clunk
31st October 2012, 10:01 PM
maybe its just my stupid iphone

Well there's half your problem right there mate!!!!!!! Hahahaha

Woof
31st October 2012, 10:04 PM
I do not have tapacraper as it costs 99 cents and they want your payment details over the phone, yeah as if that's going to happen

Clunk
31st October 2012, 10:17 PM
I do not have tapacraper as it costs 99 cents and they want your payment details over the phone, yeah as if that's going to happen

Oi get back in your cave!!!!!! Hahahaha

lorrieandjas
31st October 2012, 10:44 PM
Hi AB - as I mentioned in my PM this is the stuff I do! If everyone wants to post up their thoughts (I have also used tapatalk and it has shortcomings) then perhaps we can post a poll to incorporate the ideas. Just a note on the app development side - we'd need a couple of apps - Apple and Android for a start to cover different peoples choices of phone. The Apple process is a pain because you need an Apple Developer ID (have one of those) - $250 for a corporate one so it is signed by the forum not an individual developer. Up to three months for Apple to verify the App and then make it available if they approve it.

Development time for an app which I am envisaging would be suitable would be about 2-3 months plus the Apple check time. I think its definitely worth doing and could incorporate easily the shortcomings I have seen posted so far. To cover costs would be worth charging a couple of bucks to download?

What do you all think?

Drew
1st November 2012, 06:01 AM
I see dead people
I mean I see vids ok most times

I see dumb people :)

Yeah the search is dodgy, thank thingy, sometimes it would be good to see the sig for the veehicle info

Sir Roofy
1st November 2012, 06:47 AM
Well theres some hitech stuff happening here mmmm whats an app

any way i have a peaceful life no mobile no hassles just the lappy
and that gets hard if i get passed the home page lmao

Maxhead
1st November 2012, 06:53 AM
Hi AB - as I mentioned in my PM this is the stuff I do! If everyone wants to post up their thoughts (I have also used tapatalk and it has shortcomings) then perhaps we can post a poll to incorporate the ideas. Just a note on the app development side - we'd need a couple of apps - Apple and Android for a start to cover different peoples choices of phone. The Apple process is a pain because you need an Apple Developer ID (have one of those) - $250 for a corporate one so it is signed by the forum not an individual developer. Up to three months for Apple to verify the App and then make it available if they approve it.

Development time for an app which I am envisaging would be suitable would be about 2-3 months plus the Apple check time. I think its definitely worth doing and could incorporate easily the shortcomings I have seen posted so far. To cover costs would be worth charging a couple of bucks to download?

What do you all think?

Great idea!!!! I am sure everyone would pay a couple of bucks to cover cost, if not then may be we could pass the hat around...
I think with a dedicated NP app you can customize it the way you want it and also make changes as necessary.

I'm all for it.

taslucas
1st November 2012, 07:02 AM
I'll have more of a think but off the top of me head there's no thanks button on crapNtap

yep X2 with that

Search function on tappa is sh@t

Yep X2 with that also

I think the problem with videos could be due to some being hosted on photobucket. I cant play those, but ones on utube are not an issue

I agree that its a photobucket problem. Photobucket images often slow down the page even when im on the laptop.

I see dumb people :)

Yeah the search is dodgy, thank thingy, sometimes it would be good to see the sig for the vehicle info

yeah that would be handy but i think too much info on the page would make it too cramped and hard to read.

Tappa talk is great for going straight to the "whats new" or as they call it "latest" threads but sometimes hard to go back and find that thread if it doesnt come up in the "latest" list again

Bigrig
1st November 2012, 07:18 AM
Forum app improvements? Hmmm ... let's go ...

1. Get a decent administrator
2. Start paying the awesome moderators
3. A forum polo (the new ones) for every new member that posts up an introduction - paid for by the forum administrator
4. 2 forum polo's (the new ones - just to be clear on that) for ALL existing members ... yep, you guessed it ... paid for by the forum administrator
5. A Nissan Patrol "spares" department with parts for all models, held and distributed nationally at forum administrators cost
6. Monthly magazines ... free of course ... we had one once, but refer to point 1 as to why it stopped
7. Forum sponsorship for all forum trips and functions with greater than 5 members in attendance
8. In reference to point 7, no forum sponsorship/membership fees for members
9. In reference to point 7, no forum advertising banners (get where I'm going yet? Yep, forum administrator should wear costs ... why else would people join?)
10. .....

Start adding to the list people ... I've done the first 9, and let's face it, if AB wasn't serious about considering these changes, he wouldn't have asked (right AB?). If we stand united, we have a glimmer of a hope in turning this place into something half decent ....

Introduce these, and I bet a million that no one would be complaining about any app they use to access the joint!!!

lmfao!!

my third 256
1st November 2012, 07:34 AM

3. A forum polo (the new ones) for every new member that posts up an introduction - paid for by the forum administrator
4. 2 forum polo's (the new ones - just to be clear on that) for ALL existing members ... yep, you guessed it ... paid for by the forum administrator
5. A Nissan Patrol "spares" department with parts for all models, held and distributed nationally at forum administrators cost
6. Monthly magazines ... free of course ... we had one once, but refer to point 1 as to why it stopped
7. Forum sponsorship for all forum trips and functions with greater than 5 members in attendance
9. In reference to point 7, no forum advertising banners (get where I'm going yet? Yep, forum administrator should wear costs ... why else would people join?)
10. .....

Start adding to the list people ... I've done the first 9, and let's face it, if AB wasn't serious about considering these changes, he wouldn't have asked (right AB?). If we stand united, we have a glimmer of a hope in turning this place into something half decent ....

Introduce these, and I bet a million that no one would be complaining about any app they use to access the joint!!!

lmfao!!
get an indian to join the forum and then get him to design an app for free

AB
1st November 2012, 08:03 AM

10. .....

lmfao!!

Only a true friend would be that brutally honest...LMAO

I have feelings you know, jeeesh!!!

Its not a union site either so uniting together will get you nowhere....lol

Bigrig
1st November 2012, 08:17 AM
Only a true friend would be that brutally honest...LMAO

I have feelings you know, jeeesh!!!

Its not a union site either so uniting together will get you nowhere....lol

A true friend? Yeah, sure ... let's go with that!! lol

You fascists can't stop the union progression mate .. I'll be reporting this obvious intimidation tactic from the management to them ... as soon as I find the union boss ... he's probably on extended lunch ... lmao

See you Friday!!! We can discuss it as a project office then, and decide from there if we need a steering committee to organise the delivery arm to liaise with the stakeholders to gain support for the movement - which can then be assessed by the risk management group with their results being tabled in an extensive report to the leadership team for review prior to being cast to vote amongst the members ... who I'm unsure are aware of the motion, so subsequently, a brief will need to be drawn and distributed with sufficient information and time given for response and suggestion ...

Ahhh, stuff it ... all too difficult ...

Onwards with the democracy!!!! lmao

NissanGQ4.2
1st November 2012, 05:51 PM
Forum app improvements?

Don't you get paid Scotty?

taslucas
1st November 2012, 06:03 PM

Don't you get paid Scotty?

Pay (awesome) moderators.........

Awesome moderators.......

Awesome is the key word
Tap, crackle, pop

Maxhead
1st November 2012, 06:28 PM
Is this app finished yet??? lol

taslucas
1st November 2012, 06:45 PM

Scotty is still developing the committees..........

Tap, crackle, pop

Clunk
1st November 2012, 07:25 PM

Forum merchandise.......... Need I say more!!!!!!!!!!

Ooooooooh was that maybe a little below the belt!!!!??? Hahahaha

Sorry AB, you know I don't mean it really.....

Or do I!!!!????? Bwahahahahaha

Bigrig
1st November 2012, 07:28 PM

Tap, crackle, pop

Just started getting the placards printed in case we have to march on NissanPatrol.com.au house!!!! lol

AB
1st November 2012, 07:40 PM
Forum merchandise.......... Need I say more!!!!!!!!!!

Ooooooooh was that maybe a little below the belt!!!!??? Hahahaha

Sorry AB, you know I don't mean it really.....

Or do I!!!!????? Bwahahahahaha

HEY HEY HEY....Back behind the line mate...lol....It was out of my hands!!!!

Clunk
1st November 2012, 09:51 PM
HEY HEY HEY....Back behind the line mate...lol....It was out of my hands!!!!

Spoken like a true union man!!!!! Hahaha

choppie
2nd November 2012, 03:16 PM
X2 With you on that one roofy, too technicalated LMAO.

The BigFella
4th November 2012, 06:34 AM
X2 With you on that one roofy, too technicalated LMAO.

I'm with you guys on this one, I've only just worked out what all the bloody tap tap tapping is all about,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, bloody hell!

growler2058
8th November 2012, 08:35 PM
Haven't read all responses so maybe repeating
Can't see therefor vote in polls

BigRAWesty
8th November 2012, 09:44 PM
Sounds like a good idea. What's involved with designing an app for 3 different systems though, apple, android and now windows??

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

NissanGQ4.2
8th November 2012, 09:50 PM
Sounds like a good idea. What's involved with designing an app for 3 different systems though, apple, android and now windows??

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

4 different ops, Don't forget about Symbian

daggy
8th November 2012, 09:53 PM

Tap, crackle, pop

Look on the horizon is that a ..... yes, it is ..... it's a camel!!!!!

MEGOMONSTER
8th November 2012, 10:29 PM
Look on the horizon is that a ..... yes, it is ..... it's a camel!!!!!

One lump or two.

Publicly speaking to a private audience.

Clunk
8th November 2012, 10:38 PM
4 different ops, Don't forget about Symbian

Symbian's knockin on deaths door mate, I understand Nokia are switching to windows

Irvs
9th November 2012, 04:55 PM
I think I'd give tapatalk a 7/10 it's good most of the time for core features but it's difficult to search for threads, you can't thank people, videos tend to glitch for me and you have the option of going to the start of a thread or last post and I've found sometimes it will get stuck and go back to a page in the middle of the thread.

Having said all that I don't think we need to develop a personalised app but if we do I would pay a few bucks for it on android, you could even make it support forum sponsorship via a micro transaction in the app. Including direct PayPal payment to your account AB. The only reason I haven't sponsored up yet is because I'm too much of a lazy prick to go into my Netbank and transfer cash. In this day and age I should just be able to push a button that says take my money me thinks.

NissanGQ4.2
9th November 2012, 05:30 PM
In this day and age I should just be able to push a button that says take my money me thinks.

I have already designed one, it contains a virus..........well its more of a link than a button, but with 1 click it will take your money..........I will send you a link to the nissanpatrol.com.au screen saver.

Thankyou, please come again :) *LMAO*