PDA

View Full Version : CAT 1000cca battery gu patrol

vzmaniac
31st October 2012, 07:16 PM
Hi all. bought a 98 gu a couple of weeks ago and battery appears to be bubbling/venting... bugger

does anyone know if the caterpillar 1000cca batteries that are often recommended are a straight fit into the gu or if some modding is required.

Bushpig
31st October 2012, 07:21 PM
Don't know about the 1000cca but 880cca CAT batt is shorter, needs mods to the clamp to hold it in.

big_fletch
31st October 2012, 07:36 PM
If it fits in the tray and you can use the clamp to hold it 'Securly'.. Then wont be an issue at all.. Plenty of power on the go that's for sure

MudRunnerTD
31st October 2012, 07:41 PM
G"day Fletch, good to see you about bud

megatexture
31st October 2012, 07:57 PM
just check the size compared to what you have now and also see the weight http://www.cat.com/cda/files/3049510/7/PEHJ0073-02.pdf

big_fletch
31st October 2012, 08:42 PM
G"day Fletch, good to see you about bud

Yer good to be back on the forum now i have abit of free time haha.. Been abit slack as well but i always come back eventually lol

Yendor
1st November 2012, 07:51 PM
Hi all. bought a 98 gu a couple of weeks ago and battery appears to be bubbling/venting... bugger

does anyone know if the caterpillar 1000cca batteries that are often recommended are a straight fit into the gu or if some modding is required.

Welcome to the forum,

When you get a chance can you post a thread in the introductions section, it's just something we ask of new members.

Can I ask why you need such a large battery for starting? you might be better off with dual batteries.

With your old battery is it just one cell that is bubbling or is it all six? your alternator may be overcharging.

threedogs
1st November 2012, 07:59 PM
was thinking along those lines as well, thats gunna be one hell of a mess to clean if battery goes boom.
get alternator checked, batteries don't boil for no reason

scotty83
2nd November 2012, 08:47 AM
wasn't it the 98 series GU where the Earth lead was too small or not mounted properly?? Can't remember but might be worth a check as well while your in this region.. Probs not related though.

vzmaniac
2nd November 2012, 10:21 PM
i was mistakenly under the assumption the 1000cca fit in the normal battery slot. and for the same price as a lower cca with a apparently better warranty system from cat i thought "what the hell".

now i know it doesnt fit im looking for the right size with decent specs (found an 880cca 80ah that fits on paper)

2-3 cells are bubbling and the alternator doesnt appear to be over charging as far as we can tell (bubbles when sitting idleing, father and i tested battery output with a voltmeter came up to normal voltage even when revved...)

the negative wire appears to be after market...it is a pretty chunky wire earthed at 2 points.... but will check it out also.

thanks for all the help :D