PDA

View Full Version : heat exchange water heater

muletopia
31st October 2012, 04:18 PM
Can someone reccomend a heat exchange water heater to fit on a TD42. Storage for showers etc would be nice.

A new member's first excusion into this forum!

threedogs
31st October 2012, 05:21 PM
Hi mate you may want to pop over to the intro section first, Just something the forum asks all newbies to do.
Its just so we get to know a bit about you and your ride and vice versa, you'll get a better response as well
Friend has a heat exchanger on his 4.2 td but can't remember model etc,

muletopia
2nd November 2012, 09:52 AM
Hi mate you may want to pop over to the intro section first, Just something the forum asks all newbies to do.
Its just so we get to know a bit about you and your ride and vice versa, you'll get a better response as well
Friend has a heat exchanger on his 4.2 td but can't remember model etc,

Have done that

threedogs
2nd November 2012, 10:38 AM
I'll be see him very soon ,know thats no too helpfull at the moment but this is a bees knees heat exchanger

BillsGU
2nd November 2012, 05:00 PM
Can someone reccomend a heat exchange water heater to fit on a TD42. Storage for showers etc would be nice.

A new member's first excursion into this forum!

Had one of those for many years and they are not without problems. Fitting them somewhere under the bonnet (especially if you have dual batteries, ABS, catch can and other useful stuff). Sometimes its difficult getting the car close enough to water. But the main problem is running your car for up to an hour (or more) each night so the camp can have a shower.

I bought a Coleman water heater when they first came out (there are other brands around now) and they are much more flexible.

Cuppa
2nd November 2012, 06:26 PM
I've fitted a 22 litre calorifier (heat exchanger coil inside an insulated tank) in our Patrol. Water is fully heated within 20 to 30 minutes driving & should stay hot for 2 or 3 days.( with a bit of additional insulation. Have similar in our bus & it works well. The bus one is made by Sigmar Marine, but the Patrol one is a Surecal, which I bought from the UK (via ebay) for much less money.
See my build-up thread for pics

They're a fit & forget item, just enjoy hot water at the temperature you set with the tempering valve. Of course you need a pressure pump & water tank.

The seller on ebay is the manufacturer & good to deal with.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4522.m570.l1313&_nkw=surecal&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Cuppa

muletopia
3rd November 2012, 10:59 AM
I'll be see him very soon ,know thats no too helpfull at the moment but this is a bees knees heat exchanger

I look forward to hearing about it, the more and more varied information the better. Just the headache of deciding which way to go!

muletopia
3rd November 2012, 11:15 AM
I've fitted a 22 litre calorifier (heat exchanger coil inside an insulated tank) in our Patrol. Water is fully heated within 20 to 30 minutes driving & should stay hot for 2 or 3 days.( with a bit of additional insulation. Have similar in our bus & it works well. The bus one is made by Sigmar Marine, but the Patrol one is a Surecal, which I bought from the UK (via ebay) for much less money.
See my build-up thread for pics

They're a fit & forget item, just enjoy hot water at the temperature you set with the tempering valve. Of course you need a pressure pump & water tank.

The seller on ebay is the manufacturer & good to deal with.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p4522.m570.l1313&_nkw=surecal&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Cuppa

Thanks Cuppa, looked at the web site and at Sigmar Marine's site, have to wait and see what Three dogs mate has done!
As it is going into a Civilian space for tanks and pumps should not be a problem.
Cheers
Muletopia

Cuppa
3rd November 2012, 03:56 PM
As it is going into a Civilian space for tanks and pumps should not be a problem.

Depends what else needs to go into the Civilian!
Our bus is an '89 LWB Civilian, plenty on our fit out on my web site if you haven't seen it. The Sigmar model we used is no longer available, a shame because it is rectangular & was easier to fit.

Cuppa

muletopia
3rd November 2012, 08:19 PM
Depends what else needs to go into the Civilian!
Our bus is an '89 LWB Civilian, plenty on our fit out on my web site if you haven't seen it. The Sigmar model we used is no longer available, a shame because it is rectangular & was easier to fit.

Cuppa

Hello Cuppa,
The 12 volt pressure pump you have fitted , is it a centrifugal pump or a diaphram pump.Some sites reccomend the latter as they are self priming and nir self destructing if you empty your source water tank. Besides which it is notoriously difficult to match a centrifugal pump for flow rate and head requirement.
I have not seen your web site but I will try to hunt it up.

Cuppa
4th November 2012, 07:51 PM
Hi muletopia,
It's a diaphragm pump. We have a shurflo in the bus, but in the Patrol I went for an eBay cheapie. I bought two for less than half of the cost of a shurflo & will carry one to be used both as a spare, & also to be used if needing to fill our tank from a creek.
It's a 40 psi, 17 litres per minute model ......... I think if I were buying again I'd be happier with a lower pressure & flow rate.

Cuppa

muletopia
5th November 2012, 05:12 PM
Hi muletopia,
It's a diaphragm pump. We have a shurflo in the bus, but in the Patrol I went for an eBay cheapie. I bought two for less than half of the cost of a shurflo & will carry one to be used both as a spare, & also to be used if needing to fill our tank from a creek.
It's a 40 psi, 17 litres per minute model ......... I think if I were buying again I'd be happier with a lower pressure & flow rate.

Cuppa

Thanks Cuppa,
Yep, that does seem excessive for showering or washing dishes, could be good for tank filling though. BTW I presume that for your hot water the pipes are insulated. We had a situation where I coud not fit expanded foam tubing for insulation, pipe rigidly attached to a wall. BUT spray foam poly filler does a good job, cut smooth and painted it does not even glare at you.
Cheers
Muletopia

Cuppa
5th November 2012, 08:30 PM
BTW I presume that for your hot water the pipes are insulated. We had a situation where I coud not fit expanded foam tubing for insulation, pipe rigidly attached to a wall. BUT spray foam poly filler does a good job, cut smooth and painted it does not even glare at you.
Cheers
Muletopia

The hot water pipe in the bus is insulated, but not in the Patrol. Hardly worthwhile because the pipe (John Guest 15mm plastic) run is so short - from calorifier to external hose connection (via shut off valves) is only about 1 metre.

Cuppa

muletopia
25th November 2012, 11:48 AM

Hello Threedogs,
Have you caught up with the knees of those bees yet? Looking forward to hearing about it.

MudRunnerTD
25th November 2012, 04:31 PM
I have a Glind setup off my GQ TD42 that worked great. I made a bracket for it to mount on top of the motor but took it off when i fitted the turbo. I have used the pump on my camper trailer and will not be refitting this so would be interested in selling the Glind and the bracket if your interested.

Here is a link to the item

http://www.glind.com.au-Heat-Exchanger.html (http://www.glind.com.au/index.php/Heat-Exchangers/18-Motorhome-Heat-Exchanger.html) They retail for $245 and i'd be happy to sell the unit and the bracket for around the $150 mark mate.

Send me a PM if your keen??

Cheers

muletopia
26th November 2012, 02:33 PM
I have a Glind setup off my GQ TD42 that worked great. I made a bracket for it to mount on top of the motor but took it off when i fitted the turbo. I have used the pump on my camper trailer and will not be refitting this so would be interested in selling the Glind and the bracket if your interested.

Here is a link to the item

http://www.glind.com.au-Heat-Exchanger.html (http://www.glind.com.au/index.php/Heat-Exchangers/18-Motorhome-Heat-Exchanger.html) They retail for $245 and i'd be happy to sell the unit and the bracket for around the $150 mark mate.

Send me a PM if your keen??

Cheers
Thanks for your reply Mudrunner, but I am looking for a caloriferer with storage, say 15 litres hot water.
Cheers
Muletopia

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for your reply Mudrunner, but I am looking for a caloriferer with storage, say 15 litres hot water.
Cheers
Muletopia

No Probs mate.

Sir Roofy
26th November 2012, 06:09 PM
no probs mate.

pm sent mr

MudRunnerTD
26th November 2012, 06:40 PM
Got it. Good on ya Roofy, it's yours mate. Sorry on the phone now. I will dig it out and make sure I have the bracket and stuff. I custom made the bracket for my TD42 so not sure if it will fit your engine but your welcome to whatever I have mate.

I will pm you when I have it all together. Probably after the weekend.

Cheers MR

Sir Roofy
26th November 2012, 06:46 PM
Got it. Good on ya Roofy, it's yours mate. Sorry on the phone now. I will dig it out and make sure I have the bracket and stuff. I custom made the bracket for my TD42 so not sure if it will fit your engine but your welcome to whatever I have mate.

I will pm you when I have it all together. Probably after the weekend.

Cheers MR

GREAT THANKS MRtd