PDA

View Full Version : Speedo troubles

pjwooly
31st October 2012, 04:43 PM
In the middle of checking my speedo and i cant for the life of me figure how to get the actual needle off to see the mechanism better.
I have been told to try lubricating the needle shaft area to try fixing my wayward speedo.
Any other thorts much welcomed.

Cheers.

(car is a GQ '90 diesel manual wagon ST).

MudRunnerTD
31st October 2012, 06:04 PM
Why do you want to do that?

I have lived this job mate. what are you trying to do??

threedogs
31st October 2012, 06:05 PM
Wouldn't you remove at gearbox end then remove inner speedo cable.
Insert new one all lubed up ?

MudRunnerTD
31st October 2012, 06:07 PM
Wouldn't you remove at gearbox end then remove inner speedo cable.
Insert new one all lubed up ?

No 3D i think he has the dash pod out and on a bench, face off and gauges exposed trying to take the needle off the speedo face.

04OFF
31st October 2012, 06:09 PM
Use some folded clean printer paper over the face of the gauge to protect it (cut a slot to pass around speedo shaft), then use a normal metal kitchen fork under the needle to "lever" it off. (the end you put in your mouth under the needle becomes a rocking lever)

Dont use newspaper or paper with print, as this may mark gauge face.

If you can, look at what turns at the back of the gauge when you move the needle by hand, try and see if you can mark a "zero" mark on the back with a marker pen, this is just incase the needle stopper pin on the front of the gauge is the "only" stopper, because when you remove the needle, the guts of the gauge may travel into the negative on some gauges, then you have no idea where the needle should be in relation to the shaft when you put it back on.

TIP.After marking zero, screw gauge back in cluster so its easy to hold when you go to remove needle.

MudRunnerTD
31st October 2012, 06:16 PM
if your just trying to make an adjustment to the speedo reading then leave it all alone and reinstall it without the clear face on. Go for a drive on the freeway and cruise the car at 100km/h using your GPS or phone app and take note of how far out your speedo is.

If it reads too slow then grab the needle and turn clockwise to the stopper, flex it up and over the stopper and continue to rotate it. You will feel it hit the end of the rotation. If you need an extra 5km/h then push teh rotation beyond the end point and the needle will slip around the shaft. try and move it for 5km/h.

let it go, lift it up and over the stopper and then see where is settle back to while your still cruising at 100km/h. If not enough, do it again. If too much then back the other way, over the start stopper and readjust. ;)

Your done.

I did this to my GQ and it reads near perfect on 35s ;)

threedogs
31st October 2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks Runner wouldn't be easier to by the coloured adaptors ?? Gears ???
This looks like job best left for the pros

pjwooly
31st October 2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah Muddy whats going on is it just goes all over the place once in motion...then on the odd occasion it works.
Sparky told me it sounds like the speedo in dash...not the sender asi did replace with another 2nd hand one and nothing changed.He said try lubing up the dash speedo mech
as it can get sticky but i'm not too sure about that.He reckons it wont be the sender and the best bet would be to replace the speedo dash from a wrecker.
I wanted to get the needle off so i cud get the lube in the rite place instead of all over the place.

Will try the fork idea tomorrow .

MudRunnerTD
31st October 2012, 08:47 PM
I reckon you will need to replace your speedo mate. Chase a complete dash cluster. Make sure it's from the same engine and it will plug straight in. Alternatively you will be able to strip the gauge out and retro fit it into your dash.

I reckon yours is knackered

Yendor
1st November 2012, 07:36 PM
With a soldering iron redo all the connections on the circuit board for the speedo head and connector.

I also remember reading a post about a loose capacitor in the circuit board so check for this and re-solder.

pjwooly
5th November 2012, 10:18 AM
Now that does sound like a job for an expert (lol) I have had a good look at it tho and cant for the life of me see anything out of place.
These things can appear fine but internally be buggered.Theres to manythat could go. Have ordered one from a wrecker and hope it turns up today.

Will keep you posted on weather this works or not.Have found you need to ring all around aust for a wrecker that will have the one you want for your engine.
Dont worry about the k's on it.They only sell dash clusters so you just take out the guage you need and fit it in your dash with your original odometer left in.

Fingers crossed i get this sorted.

Robo
5th November 2012, 12:38 PM
Bad solder connections seems to be a little common.
Seeing as you have another cluster coming
Would you please consider touching up the solder connections as described on your old unit.
Nothing to lose, seeing your getting another unit.
This way you can try it again and see if described fix can work for you.
What's more, if successful you have a spare.
And pass this info on to confirm your fix to the rest of us.

To re-touch connections isn't really that hard to do.
A Hot Clean iron
a little fresh solder.
A little acid also, old solder can be stubborn at times.
small cheap artist brush or similar to apply a little acid, Where it's needed.
and a steady hand.
quick as possible, to stop heat transfer.
hence the hot iron, melts solder fast.
helps prevent heat transfer to parts on the board
clean when finished.
re-lacquer if needed
It sound alot, but really its not.
what your looking for is a bright solder joint not a dull joint.
bright = good connection.
dull= poor connection, sorta crystallized, not solid solder.

If I lived closer I'd suggest sending it to me I'd do it for ya.
Let us know how you go.
Cheers

pjwooly
6th November 2012, 11:04 PM
Hey Robo,dad n i had a look at the old speedo circuit board today and yeah it was a bit coroded(dull) on the 4 joints (points) which connect directly to the centre bit where the spindle comes from.
So dad had a circut board cleaner which we used to clean it up and tomorrow i will have a go at redoing it.
I do (well dad does) have the tools you mention so will try to get to it this week some time.

Thanks for your help.

Robo
8th November 2012, 12:10 PM
Hey Robo,dad n i had a look at the old speedo circuit board today and yeah it was a bit coroded(dull) on the 4 joints (points) which connect directly to the centre bit where the spindle comes from.
So dad had a circut board cleaner which we used to clean it up and tomorrow i will have a go at redoing it.
I do (well dad does) have the tools you mention so will try to get to it this week some time.

Thanks for your help.

Sounds good.
Hope it works out for ya.

pjwooly
10th November 2012, 02:09 PM
Well found another speedo cluster from a wrecker in Capalabah from a 95GQ 4.2 diesel.
Its gone in and all is good.Tried it with the gps and all is good.Even on 33's its within a few klm's.
Will have a go at fixing the OE one sometime but got noodling with the dash and decided to change a few things to renew (read (refresh my love) for the old girl.
Got the centre dash out at the moment cleaning her up ready for a fresh look.

Will keep you posted

pjw