PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on GQ Patrols

MasterUWA
31st October 2012, 12:56 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to get my first GQ patrol (Dad used to have an MY05 4.2TD ST-L) and I have no idea where to start and dad isn't being much help (He got me a super cheap 3-door hatchback as my first car and has decided that anything else is bad).

So I thought that I might make this thread and post up links to GQ's for sale in the Perth area and if some of you could give me your opinions that would be awesome. I have a budget of about $11k max, the lower I can get the car the more upgrades I can get done straight away (obviously haha).

I'm pretty well mechanically minded and dont mind getting covered in a bit of oil and dirt and I also know my electrics pretty well. I just don't know what things to look out for. I've searched the forums a bit and found a few lists of things to look out for so already.

Cheers,
Matt

MasterUWA
31st October 2012, 12:57 PM
Ok first 2 contenders coming right up:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bibra-lake/cars/1992-turbo-nissan-4x4/1008121956#

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/huntingdale/cars/1995-nissan-patrol-4x4-rd28t/1008676565

Cheers for your help guys,
Matt

Wine_maker
31st October 2012, 01:42 PM
Blondy is quite good I think.

threedogs
31st October 2012, 02:01 PM
What do you prefer, diesel or petrol???

MasterUWA
31st October 2012, 02:10 PM
Blondy is quite good I think.

Do you mean the pearl white?

And I'm a bit of a diesel fan after growing up around them.

Diesel-Mate
31st October 2012, 03:46 PM
Mate I got my patrol for 6k, 4.2 Diesel, winch, tinted windows, all the extras. Then spent another 2k on suspension, snorkel and installing a turbo and 3 inch straight exhaust. There are good deals out there just keep looking. Also go for a 4.2 diesel, even better if its a pre 1993 as the engine is stronger and can handle more boost.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715a using Tapatalk 2

GQ TANK
2nd November 2012, 07:23 AM
If you buy private and do your own on road work to get it registered it can be a lot cheaper.

If you go though a dealer you will pay more - but will be on road.

I paid 8k for my 4.2 petrol - from a dealer. But it was drive away with a years rego.

The ball and chain would only let me by a truck that was drive a way. I could have brought a 93 TI pertol for 4.5 k.

Although, I like the 2 tone coulr of my GQ

pjwooly
5th November 2012, 09:51 AM
My opinion is they are a gr8t truck mate..when you can get them running just rite.
Steering wobbles,dodgy speedo's,rattly windows,rattly exhausts and creaks and croaks,and shitty door trims,sagging door hinges and rusty bits,crappy window rubbers,worn seat rails to name a few are some of the nagging issues with mine that are wearing me down...but since i'm out of work i am working thru them.Go for a diesel mate if you can,they seem to be incredibly reliable.

Every time i think of selling then take it for a drive (usually after a wash)...i think NAH...mite hang on to it and do her up!!!....and so round we go again and again and..............

MasterUWA
10th November 2012, 11:09 PM
Hey Guys,

2 new trols to ask you all about :) im anxious to get one and am looking just about every day but I've always been a very cautious person when it comes to buying things haha

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dongara/cars-vans-utes/1989-nissan-patrol-wagon/1008885957

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bayswater/cars-vans-utes/1990-nissan-patrol-wagon-4-2-litre-diesel-w-airconditioning/1006193108

Cheers,
Matt

MudRunnerTD
10th November 2012, 11:21 PM
The second one is a far more Honest Add mate. The fact that they did not detail it give a good indication that they are not trying to hide anything.

That first one only has the 1 pic and its obviously been prettied up and had a once over to cover any history! Note the flares, rear door trim and bull bar are all white??? Classic car yard paint job.

The second one still have the narrow wheels!!! Its been a tow car for an old couple for sure mate. Give it a good once over, call the previous owner and do a deal on having it cleaned up as part of the purchase. $6000 Drive way, detailed, road worthy, rego. If that is rust in the roof make sure they cut that out in the deal too.

Clunk
10th November 2012, 11:31 PM
Hey Guys,

2 new trols to ask you all about :) im anxious to get one and am looking just about every day but I've always been a very cautious person when it comes to buying things haha

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dongara/cars-vans-utes/1989-nissan-patrol-wagon/1008885957

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bayswater/cars-vans-utes/1990-nissan-patrol-wagon-4-2-litre-diesel-w-airconditioning/1006193108

Cheers,
Matt

Hey Matt, I scour Gumtree on a daily basis, the second one has been advertised by the same dealership for at least 2 months... So that's gotta tell you something

Edit- just checked out the photos again....... Any one notice the date stamp???!!!........ That's a long time for a car to be at a dealership
Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

TuffTD42
11th November 2012, 12:22 PM
To be honest it is to hard to tell a vehicles condition from a pic. Imposable for mechanical condition & not all descriptions are honest! I went to buy a GU the other day in Syd from a lass to find it was shagged with rust. looked great in the pics couldn't see any of the rust & the lass was dishonest with her description. If your in-doubt about your own inspection of a vehicle your better off paying to get the vehicle inspected. Yes that can be costly if it takes vehicle after vehicle before you get the right one. I prefer to buy privately, preferably from a owner that has owned it for a long time & have serviced it regularly. Caryards are there for one reason, To make money. Any body repairs that they get done more often than not they're bodged up. Rust is an issue search for the common rust areas,take a magnet with you & stick it on, if it don't stick walk away. Mechanical's comes down to common sense, listen for whining box's/diffs,clicking cv's, check that 4wd engages with no bad gremlins when testing, engine smoke blue, white, leaking water,rusty radiator,oil leaks etc. you'll have to test drive these rigs you looking at & go from there. Google what to look for in an engine what colour smoke suggests what etc & so on. good luck hope you find a great one.
Cheers Jono.