PDA

View Full Version : How much should springs sag in 7 months

daves
30th October 2012, 08:00 PM
Hey everyone,
I put a 2" lift in 7 months ago and used lovell coils,I checked today and they have sagged 20mm in the front and 10mm in the rear,just wondering if this is normal,
On a different note did swivel hub kit today and man what a dirty job lots of cleaning and have to say glad im finished,

threedogs
30th October 2012, 08:06 PM
What do you weigh?? nah should last a bit longer than that I'd imagine.
been doing much 4x4ing???
How did you check height ???

daves
30th October 2012, 08:20 PM
About 77 kg and cause ive been doing some 4x4ing thats why I bought a nissan,I put a tape measure on the edge of the rim on the lower side and up to the edge of the flare,

megatexture
30th October 2012, 08:28 PM
changed rim size ?:icon_bonk: lol could be that the coils arnt suited to your requirements barwork ,winch etc or have you added much gear after fitting them.

daves
30th October 2012, 08:57 PM
Na rims are the same,When I bought them I told the supplier that I had a winch and hate to admit it but I have one of those plastic bullbars which is suprizingly good,no I have not added anything since the coils and shocks were added

megatexture
30th October 2012, 10:06 PM
Can you put a pic up never seen one of them on a troll b4 , would have thought 20mm in the front would be ok if you had steel bar and winch but those bars weigh nothing lol

nissannewby
30th October 2012, 10:14 PM
It will depend. How much difference was there after you fitted the new springs to your old springs? They may have bumped it up more than 2" initially and have now settled. I know I replaced my 2" lifted springs with a new set and gained 30mm. There are a few factors that could affect this. Fuel load, items in car, the way the car is parked when level. Unless you have it parked in the exact same spot as your initial measurement it would be hard to get an accurate comparison.

In saying all that 20mm in 7 months isnt that bad and you may find they wont sag any further than this for years to come. Most springs do settle in and once done so are pretty good.

MudRunnerTD
30th October 2012, 10:56 PM
It will depend. How much difference was there after you fitted the new springs to your old springs? They may have bumped it up more than 2" initially and have now settled. I know I replaced my 2" lifted springs with a new set and gained 30mm. There are a few factors that could affect this. Fuel load, items in car, the way the car is parked when level. Unless you have it parked in the exact same spot as your initial measurement it would be hard to get an accurate comparison.

In saying all that 20mm in 7 months isnt that bad and you may find they wont sag any further than this for years to come. Most springs do settle in and once done so are pretty good.

i Agree, it is not unreasonable for there to be some "Bed in" settlement of the springs and there may be no further settlement for the life of the springs. 10mm in the front is nearly un-measurable!

daves
30th October 2012, 10:57 PM
I will try to get a pic up tommorow,the old standard shocks were cactus so they would have sagged so its hard to get a true reading going off them,the new shocks did give me a 60mm gain over the old shocks after a week of driving to allow for the origanal settle in,yes I re measured in the exact same spot on level ground with nothing in the car and fuel at half a tank both times.

daves
30th October 2012, 11:40 PM
I will try to find a better pic later on

megatexture
31st October 2012, 12:14 AM
Looks better than i thought it would lol

threedogs
31st October 2012, 05:47 AM
Shocks have nothing to do with how high it sits etc

Clunk
31st October 2012, 07:42 AM
Shocks have nothing to do with how high it sits etc

I'm guessing it was a loose term used for the whole set ;)

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

Robo
31st October 2012, 12:39 PM
Dont quote me but,
Tough-dog would replace theirs, if theirs sagged that much.
conditions apply I presume.

daves
31st October 2012, 08:53 PM
I had had several beers before I wrote the last post about shocks I meant springs(coils) im sure you can forgive me for that,I thought with the previous posts that you would have worked that out anyway,

Bloodyaussie
1st November 2012, 06:43 AM
I had had several beers before I wrote the last post about shocks I meant springs(coils) im sure you can forgive me for that,I thought with the previous posts that you would have worked that out anyway,

Dont you know its dangerous to drink and type.. now I am going to have to book you!!!!!

daves
1st November 2012, 01:13 PM
Yeh im working out its dangerous I end up buying stuff on sites that I could have done without,I spoke to the people that I purchased my lift kit off and they are going to replace the front SPRINGS,I hope I got it right this time.

Robo
4th November 2012, 10:24 AM
Guessing you'll have springs now that can cope with the actual weight?.
"constant load rated, not a softer option"
presume last set not up to the task of your rig from the start.

cheers

daves
6th November 2012, 07:57 PM
They were heavy duty springs that they sent me when I first purchased the springs and I am not not sure if they were the right springs or not,as I said in earlier posts I told the company exactly what my set up was and that my fourby gets used as a fourby.Im happy that they are going to fix the issue.