PDA

View Full Version : Stiff wheel bearing? Repack or replace?

Irvs
30th October 2012, 06:24 PM
Hey guys, got stuck in some sticky mud a few weeks back and drove the 300ks home while the front brake rotor was still full of mud/clay, the what vents were blocked all the way round so I cleaned them out and as I had the car up on stands I went to rotate the wheels on both sides to see how the bearings sounded and felt and noticed the drivers side felt stiff or hard to move in general (hubs were free in 2WD).

I recently replaced rotors and calipers so I've recently repacked the bearings but I'm thinking I've cooked the grease perhaps? Not sure with this sort of thing it's just a hunch. So if I wash and repack the bearings should I be alright or do bearings not like heat and is it time to replace? I dont want to sit down and repack to find the bearing needed replacing. (Axle seals have been replaced in the last couple years by previous owner in case anyone may think its oil coming in through diff thats washed out grease)

Cheers for advice in advance.

Steve4wdin
30th October 2012, 06:52 PM
If in doubt replace. It`s better than breaking down some where. Is there any vertical movement in your wheel. have you over tightened the hub putting to much presure on your bearings. I can ask all sorts of questions but replace if you have doubts

threedogs
30th October 2012, 06:56 PM
X 2 throw a kit through it then you now alls good.

Irvs
30th October 2012, 06:58 PM
may very well have overtightened the hub, should i do both sides or is it okay to do one side?

Irvs
30th October 2012, 07:00 PM
as for vertical movement, 10-15mm or so

Steve4wdin
30th October 2012, 07:04 PM
I would replace both sides. The theroy is tighten firm and than back off one flat on castle nut.

Irvs
30th October 2012, 10:52 PM
Ahh k, think I used the rattle gun so that could be a problem. Ooops, thanks for the help Steve

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

the ferret
30th October 2012, 11:17 PM
Check the old bearings for "blueing" and score marks on the outer cone.
I would replace both and keep the best one for a spare.
Do them up tight with a socket, not a rattle gun, that will make sure the bearing is seated.
Then back the nut off until the wheel is free running with no lateral movement.
Check for movement again after a few ks..
Cheers, the ferret.

the ferret
30th October 2012, 11:21 PM
as for vertical movement, 10-15mm or so

Wow, that's a lot, time to sort it mate.
New bearing inner and outer me thinks before you lose wheels lol.
Cheers the ferret

Robo
31st October 2012, 12:44 PM
Wow, that's a lot, time to sort it mate.
New bearing inner and outer me thinks before you lose wheels lol.
Cheers the ferret

x2 on the movement, lucky not to break something.
I would not be driving it like that 10+mm play in axle