PDA

View Full Version : Anything fishing

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

MEGOMONSTER
11th January 2013, 11:34 PM
If you drive another hour n a bit you will come to Eden, i'm here now 2 - 3 kg salmon off the surf and if you have your boat you can chase the king fish and boneto tuna. Its been a bit slow for me this week just a couple of salmon, silver travelly, flatties and as many 4" yellow tail scad and leather jackets you wanted!!

Not sure of my ship (tinny) would be safe in Eden 24363
But I might stop there on the way home from Narooma later this week

Alitis007
12th January 2013, 12:26 AM
Should be fine mate i have seen bath tubs fishing a fair few k's of asling beach this morning and it been looking fairly flat, up to .5 meter swells i would say. The ramp here is just out of eden at quarantine bay, i'm not sure if can launch from the wharfs in town but if your not too confident in going out of two fold bay in your mighty vessel we have been getting our fish from the Navy wharf near the chip mill, or if you want to fish off the surf you can go fish behind the tip and i went today to The bay cliffs near wonboyn lake. Its a good hour n a bit drive including a dirt track that took me about 20 mins coz my MRS is a city grl that doesn't like off roading and i was just idling thru doing about 10 to 20 km/h

MEGOMONSTER
16th January 2013, 12:34 AM
Went out on a fishing charter whilst in Narooma.
The charter headed out to Montague Island. We went in close where we fished for Yakkas for live bait, which my Missus had a ball catching, she caught more live bait on her own then the rest of us did. Lets call it a woman's touch.
Once we had enough we went onto the first bommie for the kingies. On the first drift my Missus got the first kingie on a squid bait rod and then a second, first two fish on board were keepers. (Photo of her two kingies, she didnt want to hold and touch them)24503
So I thought we were gonna have a ripper day but it wasn't to be. But we all still did pretty good.
I think we caught 12 or 13 kingies, but only 5 keepers.
This one I got on the second bommie.
As you can see I was pretty happy with that. But was my only kingie for the trip.
The water was quite rough near the island off the bommie, we had a lot of trouble keeping the baits down even with the big sinkers as it was wind against tide so we went closer to the island in some sheltered waters where we got a stack of Mowies and snapper
I got two Morwongs 24524and one was a rip snorter 24525
And on the very last drift while the rest of us were reeling rods in to pack up my Missus pulls out a nice snapper to end the trip. 24526

EDIT, Told my Missus to put the photos into this thread, instead pasted the same post into it. Sorry.

Alitis007
16th January 2013, 06:16 PM
Nice work Mego, on Saturday night before my parents left for melbourne they where at the Merimbula pier and two blokes rocked up with a 15kg Kingy! Theres some big fish around there!!

CorbinsGUte
16th January 2013, 10:03 PM
A pic of me and a mighty burdekin river barra! http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/01/67.jpg

Another of my old man and a barra he gothttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/01/68.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

CorbinsGUte
16th January 2013, 10:05 PM
A coral trout the old man got. Was about 70cm from memory. Tasted great!
Yeah we love fishing up here in north qld .
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/01/69.jpg

Lonicus
16th January 2013, 10:07 PM
Nice fish mate. Love the northern fishing too, great fun.

CorbinsGUte
16th January 2013, 10:08 PM
Just realised Ive already shown off these fish on another thread. O well in bloody proud of them barras!

threedogs
19th January 2013, 09:44 AM
Gee only need a shiny hook up FNQ, landed a Barra at the Wenlock crossing years ago, but at least I'm on the board. and Mego
where ever you are just picked up 300 mtrs of 40lb Dyneema in black for only $11 free post. think thats ok hey. gotta love fleabay

Corbin not many can say they have landed a barra, we brought our Coral trout from a local in the Cooktown Pub from memory both
about 450mm, chewed up really well, next on my list is mud crab we've caught ourselves. one day.

CorbinsGUte
19th January 2013, 04:10 PM
Got one few weeks ago while in a little plastic canoe, dragged me all over the river . Didnt see any crocs that trip thank god. Saw 2 trip before...

threedogs
19th January 2013, 04:49 PM
Got to be happy about that, they have a very nasty attitude towards life in general.

93patrol
20th January 2013, 03:47 PM
A couple of flatties caught of the beach

On the beach

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

93patrol
20th January 2013, 03:51 PM
My brother in law stuck in a mud hole on our way back from marroning
The aftermath back at camp

Lonicus
20th January 2013, 04:23 PM
Looks like a fun day out mate!

Maxhead
20th January 2013, 04:40 PM
Well we spent a day out wide chasing marlin and tuna with no results. Bottom bashed 600m for blue eye cod and nothing....

Cone back with some deep sea perch and a few shifty flatthead but we did mix it up with the big boys...lol24721

The shipping channels were busy...hahaha

..........on the move

Lonicus
20th January 2013, 04:42 PM
Ahh the joys of game fishing :)

Still, a day out on the water is hard to beat, fish or no fish!

93patrol
20th January 2013, 08:06 PM
Yeah it was a great weekend away left early Friday and got back 3:30 today was a good laugh

MEGOMONSTER
25th January 2013, 06:10 PM
Well we spent a day out wide chasing marlin and tuna with no results. Bottom bashed 600m for blue eye cod and nothing....

Cone back with some deep sea perch and a few shifty flatthead but we did mix it up with the big boys...lol24721

The shipping channels were busy...hahaha

..........on the move

Isn't winter time a better time for game fishing especially south coast NSW.

stevogq
25th January 2013, 06:40 PM
Mate has gone out to Portland this weekend apparently their catching tuna upto 95kg
cheers stevo.

gaddy
26th January 2013, 09:53 PM
just going through some old photos and found this , sorry about the cruiser , he has a troll now , while jigging macks at the 4 beacons the the old man thought he would drop a pilly on a 10kg spin stick , needless to say about an hour later , put the gaff in this . it had a mate with it , thought about trying for 2 but figured we had enough for a feed or 10

Gaddy

MEGOMONSTER
26th January 2013, 10:09 PM
Great catch, any bigger and you would need another person.

gaddy
26th January 2013, 10:20 PM
We still get em to that size especially in the next couple of months , so hopefull once the weather clears the best last season was 38kg , but now we use 30kg full glass over heads , leaving the rod in a holder and jam a gloved hand in the spool to stop gettin bricked , there is no such thing as a fair fight with these buggers

Gaddy

MEGOMONSTER
26th January 2013, 10:22 PM
Love to see it live on video.

gaddy
26th January 2013, 10:28 PM
I will try to remember this year , never think of it as usually when there is 1 there is a sceond hit as well

Lonicus
27th January 2013, 07:41 AM
Video would be great but definitely need some pics this season Gaddy, also of your setup on the boat.

gaddy
27th January 2013, 02:33 PM
Cant go fishing so thought I would put some of last years best , bring on winter

Gaddy

gaddy
27th January 2013, 02:46 PM
lonicus
As for my rig she aint nothing flash , and as for the electronis bottom of the range furuno sounder and hand held garmin gps with mount , its all about time on the water , moons and air pressure

Gaddy

threedogs
27th January 2013, 02:56 PM
Must go Yabbying this summer, been saying it every year but never get around to doing it.
Great channel we cross on the way to the Murray might give that ago, there is a member
living where we fish he may have a dam we can try.?

Lonicus
27th January 2013, 03:23 PM
Some impressive hauls there Gaddy! Nice looking rig too.

Yeah, the electrics help but only if you know what you're doing :)

MEGOMONSTER
27th January 2013, 03:27 PM
Must go Yabbying this summer, been saying it every year but never get around to doing it.
Great channel we cross on the way to the Murray might give that ago, there is a member
living where we fish he may have a dam we can try.?

Just go to the front lake at Caroline springs. I give money to the kids to collect them for me and they always have some for me.

threedogs
27th January 2013, 05:46 PM
Some dams between me and the springs but I want to eat them for a change,
Was readng another post from over west regarding their Marron, Gulgies, Whatever they call them.
You just can't beat a feed of decent sized yabbies IMO, obviosly smaller ones will use for bait.

Lonicus
1st February 2013, 08:07 AM
Came across this pic the other day, didn't realise I had it on the PC.

Caught at Peter Faust Dam (Lake Proserpine) a few years ago. Trolling a hard bodied lure on 20lb braid at sunset. Took quite a while to land and when she finally broke the surface my mates said my legs nearly gave out when we saw the size of her!

She went 54lb and 121cm, my biggest Barra to date. Swam her for about 30 mins before releasing, hopefully she survived.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/lonicus/barra_zpsab13acd0.jpg

threedogs
1st February 2013, 08:18 AM
Picked up 300mtrs of black 40lb braid off ebay for $13 only .32mm thick.
would never use mono again, except trout I reckon.
You could use this stuff on a sewing machine IMO.

Lonicus
1st February 2013, 09:27 AM
Nice pickup TD!

Have to wait until the move to find and sort through the fishing gear to see what I have and don't have. If I buy on guesswork I usually end up with 14 of something I only ever need one of :)

MEGOMONSTER
1st February 2013, 09:53 AM
Picked up 300mtrs of black 40lb braid off ebay for $13 only .32mm thick.
would never use mono again, except trout I reckon.
You could use this stuff on a sewing machine IMO.

I always use left over braid to sew up ripped luggage bags.

And always use mono backing on the spool of the reel before filling spool with braid.

CorbinsGUte
1st February 2013, 10:34 AM
hey just watch that cheap ebay stuff i got 500m of 6pd braid for 10 buks few months back . it would just randomly break as i would reel in a lure. lost a couple lures before i changed line. it was really frustrating!
but i could of just been unlucky.
good luck

MEGOMONSTER
1st February 2013, 03:08 PM
hey just watch that cheap ebay stuff i got 500m of 6pd braid for 10 buks few months back . it would just randomly break as i would reel in a lure. lost a couple lures before i changed line. it was really frustrating!
but i could of just been unlucky.
good luck

I too had a mate with similar experience with cheap braid.
My personal preference is Fins braid, made in the US, top quality.

Braid has very little to no abrasive resistance, first log or rock under load it will break.

Maxhead
1st February 2013, 03:12 PM
I had similar experience with one spool of the ebay braid. I noticed it wasn't right when I was spooling the reel...I now always run it between my fingers just to be sure...yeah..yeah a few burns are better then loosing a lure...lol

It seemed to be that spool only..it had about 3 or 4 different impurities in it

the ferret
1st February 2013, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=threedogs;324249]Some dams between me and the springs but I want to eat them for a change,
Was readng another post from over west regarding their Marron, Gulgies, Whatever they call them.
You just can't beat a feed of decent sized yabbies IMO, obviosly smaller ones will use for bait.[/QUOTE

Yeah, our Gilgies are about the same as ya Yabby bit bluer, the Marron can grow to over a foot long, good tucker!!

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt164/ferret/Marron20in20trap.jpg

Cheers, the ferret

threedogs
1st February 2013, 05:15 PM
Its Dyneema Braid, so hoping label is correct, cuts your hands big time if snagged.
Ferret would kill to boil them up with a lemon, The best two thumbs up from me

@ lonicus thats a horse

stevogq
1st February 2013, 05:32 PM
What's your technique for spooling line on your rod? Do you get someone to hold the reel? Or do you use a machine?
cheers stevo.

threedogs
1st February 2013, 05:42 PM
Think its ok with braid as there is no "twist" to it, Correct me if I'm wrong
Other than that I'd put screwdriver through the spool with some resistance in vice
and wind away. might be wrong but always worked on mono

Alitis007
1st February 2013, 05:56 PM
What's your technique for spooling line on your rod? Do you get someone to hold the reel? Or do you use a machine?
cheers stevo.

I use the vice to pre load the line or i hold it and get some one to reel and i watch how much the rod tapers, but i always cast a freshly spooled reel with just a sinker as far as i can a few times before i use it so the line settles. If the wind isn't in my face i usually settle the first 100 to 150m.

Braid is good for lures because there is never any slack on the line but your rod needs to have Fuji guides otherwise the braid will cut thru them, you also need to run a mono leader to tie the lures to because the braid doesn't lock onto itself when you tie it in a knot. My soft plastic's rods have 15lb Berkley fireline no stretch no memory braid, but my surf rods have 33lb Shogun no stretch no memory mono25309

Alitis007
1st February 2013, 05:57 PM
Think its ok with braid as there is no "twist" to it, Correct me if I'm wrong
Other than that I'd put screwdriver through the spool with some resistance in vice
and wind away. might be wrong but always worked on mono

But you cant go too tight or you will birds nest it

threedogs
1st February 2013, 06:00 PM
Might have to go surf fishing down Kilcunda this winter Alitis

Alitis007
1st February 2013, 07:37 PM
I've been meaning to go chase some gummies off the surf in venus bay but been flat out!! Kilcunda haven't been there in donkeys years

threedogs
1st February 2013, 07:47 PM
My Fore folks foundered that area, my Grandpa built that huge wooden bridge over Burnt Ck too
Lots of my history down that way,

Alitis007
1st February 2013, 08:31 PM
You can give me the grand tour when we go then!!

stevogq
1st February 2013, 09:33 PM
Ive been surf fishing only twice believe it or not lol I grew up on freshwater catching carp and trout
cheers stevo.

Alitis007
1st February 2013, 10:17 PM
My fresh water experience is limited to once at walhala and the rest is at the tambo river for bream and mulloway lol

stevogq
2nd February 2013, 10:48 AM
Only the last 2-3 years since I got my boat I've been going westernport and carrum
cheers stevo.

threedogs
2nd February 2013, 11:26 AM
They say there are only two type of people who venture onto Western port bay, those that have
run aground and those that will. good for Gummy from what I hear?

MEGOMONSTER
2nd February 2013, 03:34 PM
Western port is one of the best whiting and squid grounds. Mostly large specimens of all target species.

threedogs
2nd February 2013, 03:49 PM
We'll have to make a Team Nissan fishing day out on the bay?????

stevogq
2nd February 2013, 05:35 PM
That will be great td, get some boats together and the guys with no boats can team up with us
cheers stevo.

threedogs
2nd February 2013, 05:38 PM
Sounds like a plan to me, see what Mego thinks
but I rekon he sleeps in his boat ready lol

MEGOMONSTER
2nd February 2013, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a plan to me, see what Mego thinks
but I rekon he sleeps in his boat ready lol

Sounds good, but I can really only get one adult on board, to be able to travel any distance on water.
Three adults just bog me down.
And it has to be less than 15 knots, but at 15 knots the front person will get wet, well drenched.
10 knots or less works best for me.
Only a 4 metre tinny. 25332

threedogs
2nd February 2013, 09:56 PM
This was a couple of years ago . A nice 40 lb er from the Swanhill area
caught by mates father

stevogq
2nd February 2013, 11:24 PM
I prefer 1 too 3 is good on my boat I only put 4 if I'm just going cruising
cheers stevo.

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 12:05 AM
On the boat i use 3 ppl max but its shoulder to shoulder 2 ppl is the best its a 4.8m my mrs old man put about 3" of fibre glass and resin on the inside of the hull when he redone the floor and raised the screen with a wave breaker and made a bimini for it and also stainless bow rail, side rails and rocket launchers and a bait board. He scraped his 70 evenrude and slapped on a 90 yahmy and boy does it hammer, it feels like a jet ski!!

MEGOMONSTER
3rd February 2013, 12:37 AM
and boy does it hammer, it feels like a jet ski!!

I wish mine was like a jet ski, instead of a Putt-Putt

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 12:57 AM

Whats the biggest motor you transom han handle???

MEGOMONSTER
3rd February 2013, 01:10 AM
Whats the biggest motor you transom han handle???

40hp it is rated to.
But transom weight can hold up to a 50hp 4S Yami.

threedogs
3rd February 2013, 09:10 AM
Did you see the guy on the Jetski try putting out the fire onboard a boat ??????

stevogq
3rd February 2013, 11:43 AM
I saw that td, good thinking.

Speaking of boats in going to go out to eildon to test out my overhauled ignition, haven't been on the water since march last year
cheers stevo.

threedogs
3rd February 2013, 01:24 PM
Was. just at my mates and house across the road had a pile out the front. had to go and have a sniff.
Anyway there was an ironing board there, mate reckons they are great for filleting fish on, made sense to me
with the criss cross wire frame Just a thought.

Sir Roofy
3rd February 2013, 03:12 PM

i wouldnt mind a puttputt if your giving it away ill have it lol

Lonicus
3rd February 2013, 04:29 PM
What have you got on the back Mego?

MEGOMONSTER
3rd February 2013, 04:47 PM
What have you got on the back Mego?

25hp 4 stroke Yamaha with a smaller prop for a better hole shot. Plus a foil to help me get up on the plane.

threedogs
3rd February 2013, 05:03 PM
Think thats called a cavitation plate, correct me if wrong please

Lonicus
3rd February 2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks Mego. I'm looking at boats at the moment, smooth water type around the 4 metre mark. One I have my eye on is the Anglapro Outlaw 424, packaged with a 30hp 2-stroke. I realise the 30 is right at the low end of the scale for the boat but a step up to a 40hp 4 stroke doubles the price of the donk!

I think there a different plates/foils for different purposes these days TD but all probably originated from the basic cavitation plate principle. I had them on my last 2 boats so I could be on the plane at lower speeds for trolling.

MEGOMONSTER
3rd February 2013, 05:36 PM
As much as I like the very low fuel consumption used by the smaller motor, it would be so much better with the bigger motor.
Even when there are two of us on board (and my mate us my size) and the kill tank is full of squid up front, I struggle to get on plane unless it dead flat. Any slop and I just can't get up.

Lonicus
3rd February 2013, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I'd really like at least a 40hp on the back, max for the boat is 50hp, but $$ is always the limiting factor. Will just have to wait and see how much I have to spend after the move and maybe see if I can twist the boss' arm a bit :)

MEGOMONSTER
3rd February 2013, 05:41 PM
Bout 8k for new Yamaha 40 4 stroke.

threedogs
3rd February 2013, 05:42 PM
@ Lonicus have you tried looking at 2nds in the boat Dept.
Great bargains just for a few dents in the hull, Worth a look.
Think My mate still works for a major boat mob if willing to come down
and tow it home

Lonicus
3rd February 2013, 05:50 PM
Bout 8k for new Yamaha 40 4 stroke.

Yeah, the 30 2 stroke is a bit over 3k, putting another 4-5k on top of the package price starts making it a bit too pricey.

Have looked at the 2nd hand market TD and for what I want there's not a lot of difference between the new price and boats 5 or more years old unfortunately.

threedogs
3rd February 2013, 06:45 PM
B
O
A
T
Bring
out
another
thousand $$$$$$$$$$$

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 08:00 PM
This is they bad boy i use lol25358what a BEAST!!

MEGOMONSTER
3rd February 2013, 08:10 PM
This is the bad boy I wanna use.

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 08:38 PM
This is the bad boy I wanna use.

No no no !!! Ally boats jar your spine on a flat day mate i would rather spend the $70k on a 565R Edencraft 253602536125362I'M IN LOVE!!! This would have to be my next boat for sure of a Formula 6m25363

Lonicus
3rd February 2013, 08:57 PM
Lol that formula 6 looks like it was shot out of a sub!

Lonicus
3rd February 2013, 09:14 PM
Swift Craft were always a brilliant boat, go anywhere and pretty comfy. The new "tinnies", like the Bar Crusher, are bloody nice boats too.

I've done my time out in the deep blue, still enjoy it, but prefer a quieter life now hitting the rivers and estuaries chasing whatever is lurking there. So a small, easy to handle solo boat will do me now and when I get the urge to go out into the deep I'll jump on a charter.

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 09:30 PM
Swift Craft were always a brilliant boat, go anywhere and pretty comfy. The new "tinnies", like the Bar Crusher, are bloody nice boats too.

I've done my time out in the deep blue, still enjoy it, but prefer a quieter life now hitting the rivers and estuaries chasing whatever is lurking there. So a small, easy to handle solo boat will do me now and when I get the urge to go out into the deep I'll jump on a charter.

You get wet tho !! Haha. This sea runner isn't too bad but the Dominators are a bit harsh. A mate of the mrs dad has a Bar Crusher, on anchor its fairly stable coz they take on water in a cavity on the bottom of the hull but they bounce HARD, look at the Mego's pic the motor is trimmed down and its bouncing lol this bloke takes it in estuaries and in the bay coz its ally so hes not really worried about hidden wood below!
Heres a guy i know, when i say NUTS i mean it lol25364

Lonicus
3rd February 2013, 09:45 PM
Nuts indeed!!

Softest riding boats I ever had we're Webster Twinfishers, single engine aluminum cats. First one I set up for deep sea bottom bashing and game fishing. Second was a centre console mainly for inshore bottom bashing and trolling, also worked well around impoundments and rivers.

stevogq
3rd February 2013, 09:59 PM
i have a swiftcraft searunner also but mine hasent got the extention under the windscreen its more a runabout and with a 70hp evinrude

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 10:07 PM
Nice!! but your talking twin hull with those extra weight, you can tow the Barcrusher with a bomodore. But even this runabout was a bit bouncy until the floor and hull was strengthened and the bigger motor added around 300kg's to it which made it ride a hell of a lot better. Its set up for mainly snapper and whiting but i have a d sea anchor (i think thats what there called) it like a parachute with a hole in the middle with another little parachute any way i use it to slow the boat down when i'm drifting using soft plastics.

stevogq
3rd February 2013, 10:11 PM
Went to bonydoon and the only thing I brang back was a lure that I found and sunburn lol wayyy to many boats out today, only went out to test the boat and she is screaming now
cheers stevo.

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 10:12 PM
i have a swiftcraft searunner also but mine hasent got the extention under the windscreen its more a runabout and with a 70hp evinrude

Champ this all custom made by my mrs dad but he had an accident while working on the boat trailer and is now a quadriplegic. There is no other like it and to say the last it has seen in excess 30knot winds while he was able.

stevogq
3rd February 2013, 10:17 PM
Hope a miracle comes his way bud, its good to know your boat inside out so you can set it the way you want
cheers stevo.

Drewboyaus
3rd February 2013, 10:20 PM
Gonna have to hitch a ride with one of you blokes one day....I've just started with the whole fishing thing (trout to start) and I'm really keen to know more about fishing in the bay etc.

Tap this.........

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 10:24 PM
Hope a miracle comes his way bud, its good to know your boat inside out so you can set it the way you want
cheers stevo.

You should look at re-doing your floor and hull aswell, when they where made they only fibre glassed the top half of the floor so with the age of these boats they rot, i was just told today that 1 of his mates with a searunner cracked his hull from the screen down, he had the walk thru screen like yours ?? Something to keep in mind

stevogq
3rd February 2013, 10:28 PM
Yeah I got walkthrough, my floor was refiberglassed but I don like when people sit in the back it bottems out tooo much and looks like its doing a mono and when I speedup on the plain they say "too fast slow down"
cheers stevo.

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 10:38 PM
Gonna have to hitch a ride with one of you blokes one day....I've just started with the whole fishing thing (trout to start) and I'm really keen to know more about fishing in the bay etc.

Tap this.........

I rekon this hobby is more expensive the 4wding lol like this for eg25377
Rod. Flueger , graphite with Fuji guides $150
Reel. Kamakazi, aluminium housing 10 ball bearing and alloy spool $50 direct from kamakazi
Plus Berkley fireline braid $cant remember lol or this25378
Abu garcia c7000 c3 $590 (silver) hand made in switzerland
Abu garcia c7000 pro rocket $180 (black and now made in china ffs lol)

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 10:43 PM
Yeah I got walkthrough, my floor was refiberglassed but I don like when people sit in the back it bottems out tooo much and looks like its doing a mono and when I speedup on the plain they say "too fast slow down"
cheers stevo.

While driving KEEP ALL YOUR WEIGHT AT THE FRONT these boats dont like weight in the rear and keep the motor trimmed at about a quarter more or less depending on the swell, the shape of there hull makes them dig in sideways and you get wet ALOT lol

Lonicus
3rd February 2013, 10:43 PM
Some nice gear mate! They say sailing is like standing in a cold shower ripping up $50 notes, boats and fishing isn't too different :)

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 10:48 PM
Some nice gear mate! They say sailing is like standing in a cold shower ripping up $50 notes, boats and fishing isn't too different :)

Haven't heard that before but i like it !!!! I love fishing, i honestly don't care if i catch a fish or not aslong as I'm on the water wetting a line i don't have a care in the world!!!

Lonicus
3rd February 2013, 11:30 PM
With you there mate. Just being in the boat, on the bank or beach with a line in the water is pretty hard to beat, any fish that come along are a bonus.

Lonicus
3rd February 2013, 11:33 PM

Tap this.........

Now you've got two hobbies to throw your money at mate, 'Trols and fishing, and both worth all the cash and effort put into them :)

Drewboyaus
4th February 2013, 05:35 PM
So some advice....if I were heading to the Gippsland lakes around Paynesville for Labour Day, what should I expect to catch and what sort of general purpose rig should I be looking at?

Tap this.........

threedogs
4th February 2013, 05:56 PM
I picked up 2, 9 Ball bearing 4000 series size reels for $15 off ebay BNIB. Can't fault them
Spooled one with 15lb Dyneema Braid the other with 40 lb braid, Plus a truck load of lures .
BFF was amazed that for say $50 I could get so much stuff.

stevogq
4th February 2013, 06:30 PM
Nice score td that's cheap as chips
cheers stevo.

threedogs
4th February 2013, 06:37 PM
Great shop luckydolphin I think. things like 5 x 100 mm surface lures for $8
No more than $10 each

MEGOMONSTER
4th February 2013, 07:28 PM
Problem with the cheaper reels are they only work great for a little while because of poor build quality and material quality. Like the gear is normal made of shit and will quickly deteriorate and jam up.
I suppose they would be okay for infrequent users and once a year fishos.
Been there, done that. Not worth the money spent.

Alitis007
4th February 2013, 07:35 PM
Problem with the cheaper reels are they only work great for a little while because of poor build quality and material quality. Like the gear is normal made of shit and will quickly deteriorate and jam up.
I suppose they would be okay for infrequent users and once a year fishos.
Been there, done that. Not worth the money spent.

Its about maintenance if you wash your reels and rods after each use and lube them at the start of every season you wont have any dramas or atleast untill you need to replace the brakes, but that should be for a long time if you know what your doing

MEGOMONSTER
4th February 2013, 07:38 PM
Its about maintenance if you wash your reels and rods after each use and lube them at the start of every season you wont have any dramas or atleast untill you need to replace the brakes, but that should be for a long time if you know what your doing

Yes but still made of poor materials and definitely not water tight or sand tight for that matter.
Why not choose a Great Wall 4x4 instead of Patrol. Just not the same.

Lonicus
4th February 2013, 07:39 PM
So some advice....if I were heading to the Gippsland lakes around Paynesville for Labour Day, what should I expect to catch and what sort of general purpose rig should I be looking at?

Tap this.........

No clue sorry mate, never been to the area and all my fishing is salt water.

threedogs
4th February 2013, 07:42 PM
Been using them for 2 yrs now no problems at all. IMO its value for money sofar $15 a year for two reels
$10 for 3 years and so on. can't fault lures strong trebles, big O rings

MEGOMONSTER
No clue sorry mate, never been to the area and all my fishing is salt water.

He is wanting to fish salt water estuaries if the Gippsland lakes.

Lonicus
Agree with you there Mego.

I prefer to spend a bit more on quality reels and rods and know that if I happen to hook something unexpected, like a 50lb Barra on a 20lb outfit, that the rod won't snap or the reel isn't going to explode half way through the fight. Both of which has happened to me in the past with lower quality gear.

threedogs
4th February 2013, 07:44 PM
Mitchell River is great for bream walk upstream from bridge

Lonicus
4th February 2013, 07:48 PM
He is wanting to fish salt water estuaries if the Gippsland lakes.

Lol shows you how much I know the area :)

Generally for saltwater estuaries a flick stick running around 10lb line should see you able to handle what ever may jump on. If you have a couple of outfits a lighter one would be good for bream and whiting if they're in the area.

Have a look on google and see what info is available on the area, most fishing websites and forums will have current reports on the more popular areas and usually tips on bait, lures and techniques that are working.

MEGOMONSTER
4th February 2013, 07:51 PM
My weapons of choice.
Shimano Stradic Ci4 x 4 of them.

Alitis007
4th February 2013, 08:22 PM
Yes but still made of poor materials and definitely not water tight or sand tight for that matter.
Why not choose a Great Wall 4x4 instead of Patrol. Just not the same.

For starters a great wall is a bitsa its got a mitsubishi 4g94 engine and running gear and the body is isuzu dmax with a face lift lol
Not everything cheap is junk, if you want i'll get the address for you for kamikaze, buy a reel and try it. If you think its crap i will buy it off you and i rekon it will be the best $50 you have spent in a long time!! Heres the specs of my small reels2541125412
Now they are size .10
I got my dad this size .4025413 he pulled up a 2kg salmon no dramas with it and for the surf i got him this25414its a 6000 with baitrunner aswell!!

Now i use Shimano 5500A baitrunner on 6ft silstar rods for snapper thats a $400 combo times that by 8 thats a few $$$$, now those shimanos are made in japan if you can find them you pay $230 plus the ones made in china are 5500B you can get them from BCF for $180 i think but they are absolute crap!! I would use the $55 kamikaze 5500 baitrunner any day of the week over them. What i'm trying to say is the name of a brand doesn't mean a thing, (shimano you pay for the name not quality UNLESS its a japanese model) its how its made and feels when your hooked onto a fish.

MEGOMONSTER
4th February 2013, 08:28 PM
For starters a great wall is a bitsa its got a mitsubishi 4g94 engine and running gear and the body is isuzu dmax with a face lift lol
Not everything cheap is junk, if you want i'll get the address for you for kamikaze, buy a reel and try it. If you think its crap i will buy it off you and i rekon it will be the best $50 you have spent in a long time!! Heres the specs of my small reels2541125412
Now they are size .10
I got my dad this size .4025413 he pulled up a 2kg salmon no dramas with it and for the surf i got him this25414its a 6000 with baitrunner aswell!!

Now i use Shimano 5500A baitrunner on 6ft silstar rods for snapper thats a $400 combo times that by 8 thats a few $$$$, now those shimanos are made in japan if you can find them you pay $230 plus the ones made in china are 5500B you can get them from BCF for $180 i think but they are absolute crap!! I would use the $55 kamikaze 5500 baitrunner any day of the week over them. What i'm trying to say is the name of a brand doesn't mean a thing, (shimano you pay for the name not quality UNLESS its a japanese model) its how its made and feels when your hooked onto a fish.

I understand what your saying and I still have rods with cheap eBay reels that I still use. One is probably 7-8 years old
But others haven't been too good to me.
One jammed up on me whilst in Yarrawonga with a big cod on the end.
I had to try to reel it in hand over hand but wasn't to be.

threedogs
4th February 2013, 09:02 PM
You think Michael Clarke uses a GM cricket bat No way,
only puts stickers on a custom made job $1000.
I'm happy with my ebay reels, bait runners ,my mates say they are ok,
And as I'm not that mobile , They scream there heads off sometimes as I hobble to reach them.
My rods are Kmart as wife used to work there great warranty, sadly not now though LOL
so for under $100 I'm fishing,I'm happy and not going to spit it if I snap a rod or wreck a reel
which I haven't done YET, touch wood

MEGOMONSTER
4th February 2013, 09:18 PM
I love my penn rods I got from Kmart.
Still use them, 7-8 yrs old now.
I had 4 of them but one is at the bottom of the bay.
I hooked up but half way lose the fish. The other rod had a hit and I put that rod down against the gunwale, picked up the other rod and I just watched my other rod get a massive hit way off the bottom and just flip straight out the boat and dragged under.

Lesson 127, using put rods back in rod holder.

threedogs
4th February 2013, 10:05 PM
Gotta hate that took my Barra/snapper rod up the murray and a 7' flea flicker.
The flea flicker went off I set the hook preceding to reel it in. my son said where is your thick
rod, my reply worry later first I'll get this Cod [MOBY] in. To my surprise 70 odd mtrs down stream was my other rod floating on the surface.
The cod {MOBY] was on my thick rod 70 mtrs down stream and snagged my flea flicker. All I was doing was reeling my rod back in.
Missed out on [MOBY] but got my rod back. mates reckon save of the century. true story lol, hope it makes sense

Alitis007
4th February 2013, 10:07 PM
You cant beat a baitrunner screaming, it gives you the same feeling like the first time you see a playboy magazine lol.

Mego you should have sent a diver down on your mark. Are Penn reels still the same quality as the old ones or are they mass produced junk now???

threedogs
4th February 2013, 10:14 PM
Memories was there a penn senator , ambassador???
Don't know about the playboy bit. but great noise gets the heart rate up
thats for sure, everyone yelling giviing their 2CW Then bummer another carp

MEGOMONSTER
4th February 2013, 10:16 PM
You cant beat a baitrunner screaming, it gives you the same feeling like the first time you see a playboy magazine lol.

Mego you should have sent a diver down on your mark. Are Penn reels still the same quality as the old ones or are they mass produced junk now???

I have two Penn affinity reels I use for fresh water fishing. Like them a lot.

Lonicus
4th February 2013, 10:24 PM
Not sure about the new Penns, I have a Penn 16s International 2 which I won about 15 years ago and it's still going strong. Filled with 24kg mono and mated to a custom 15-24kg Hot Rod short stroker it handles anything thrown at it.

I haven't bought any new gear for quite a few years now, the stuff I have just lasts well, as long as it's looked after. There will be a couple of new outfits gracing the rod rack in a while, specifically for flicking plastics at flatties, not sure what they will be yet.

Lonicus
4th February 2013, 10:37 PM
Memories was there a penn senator , ambassador???
Don't know about the playboy bit. but great noise gets the heart rate up
thats for sure, everyone yelling giviing their 2CW Then bummer another carp

The Senator is still going, a star drag overhead reel, I don't think the Ambassador is still in production that I could see with a quick look around.

threedogs
4th February 2013, 10:43 PM
We used to go to Bemm river every Queensbirthday weekend surf fishing, salmon and Gummy.
Also a salt water lake, estuary for Conga eels, they wake you up. or further inland some trout areas.
Great spot highly recommend plenty of huts at good prices too

Alitis007
4th February 2013, 10:57 PM
They don't make anything like they used to and if they do you pay thru the nose for it!!
For plastics you want feel so you want Graphite but if you knock the rod or drop it there is a good chance it will break there. For price, strength and feel i like my Flueger Shakespear rods, i posted a pic of it yesterday. I have 2 single peace that have a great taper and alot of feel and fighting strength 1 is a 3 -6kg and the other is 4 - 7kg, the third is a 2 peace 4 - 7kg but the taper is faster less feel but lots of power. You also need braid, i use 15kg Berkley Fireline stuff from Big W and my rods have Fuji guides so the braid wont slice thru them. I set up a bag for my jig heads and plastics with the 3 rods and reels for about $500 so i can go from salt to fresh to windy to calm within a few minutes. Oh i almost forgot between the braid and the jig head you need to run a leader because you cant tie knots with it so you will have to learn how to tie a suspension knot like this 25425 its hard to see but berkley give instructions with the braid and you need to pack the spool with some mono coz its very thin.

Alitis007
4th February 2013, 11:01 PM
Abu Garcia make the Ambassador series overhead reels, i have a soft spot for overheads they are a prick to learn how use but when you do you can cast a egg beater way way further than before lol

Lonicus
4th February 2013, 11:22 PM
Most of the outfits I use are overheads, I find my casting is more accurate, even if distance does suffer with the lighter lures, than with egg beaters. Spent 3 weeks in Weipa chucking lures for around 8 hours every day using Shimano 400 and 250 Calcuttas, technique improved a lot but I needed a Cortisone shot in my elbow when I got home :)

Back then I was using wind-on leaders to join the braid to mono leader, a mate used to make them and I think you can get them commercially now.

The couple of very light rods I have aren't stiff enough in the tip for flicking plastics at flatties and the 20lb outfit is a bit heavy so will be going for something along the lines you've suggested, 3-6 and 4-7kg sticks.

Alitis007
5th February 2013, 10:42 AM
I had to learn by my self how to use an overhead reel, my first was a Daiwa low profile job that i birds nested countless amounts of times lol i got it as a gift when i was 10 and after just over 16 years it finally bit the dust in Jan when i was reeling in a 40cm silver travelly. But since my early teens i've fell in love with the Abu Garcia round reel range 2 of which i have shown and 1 other which i hardly use coz its a lever drag that i use for trawling. I had the Daiwa on a Ugly stick snapper rod that i set up for plastics when i first started using them but now for the replacement i have my eye on this Abu Revo MGX2542625427 it sounds like you have more experience with over head reels so if you don't mind can you sus it out for me and give me your opinion ?? Heres the sitehttp://www.abugarcia.com/products/reels/low-profile-baitcast-reels/revo/revo-mgx
Cheers

Edit: i'm thinking the 7.9:1 ratio not the 7.1:1

Lonicus
5th February 2013, 11:06 AM
They look to be bloody nice reels!!

The higher retrieve speed of the 7.9 would give you a few more options in the types of lures you could use. I personally like a faster retrieve for getting line back ASAP when the situation calls for it, like fishing running towards the boat or jumping and leaving a big belly of slack line.

I'm no expert though, I just go with what suits me and my style, what there is of it :)

Before the Weipa trip I was hopeless at casting overheads, so I removed the hooks from a range of lures and spent days in the yard casting them all, trying different settings on the magnets and free-spool friction for the different weights. Then when we got there I had to try and learn how to cast into the bloody wind without massive bird nests :)

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those reels mate, it'd be nice to find a shop with them in stock and see which one feels best to you though.

threedogs
5th February 2013, 01:39 PM
9-11 ball bearing Ebay reel, can't fault it $15.
WOW 7.9 retreive you'd only get fish lips lol

Alitis007
5th February 2013, 02:15 PM

Top buy TD!!

BigRAWesty
5th February 2013, 02:24 PM

Your handle is on the wrong side... :p

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Alitis007
5th February 2013, 02:33 PM
They look to be bloody nice reels!!

The higher retrieve speed of the 7.9 would give you a few more options in the types of lures you could use. I personally like a faster retrieve for getting line back ASAP when the situation calls for it, like fishing running towards the boat or jumping and leaving a big belly of slack line.

I'm no expert though, I just go with what suits me and my style, what there is of it :)

Before the Weipa trip I was hopeless at casting overheads, so I removed the hooks from a range of lures and spent days in the yard casting them all, trying different settings on the magnets and free-spool friction for the different weights. Then when we got there I had to try and learn how to cast into the bloody wind without massive bird nests :)

I don't think you could go wrong with either of those reels mate, it'd be nice to find a shop with them in stock and see which one feels best to you though.

Thanks for that mate, you just confirmed what i was thinking about the gear ratio.
It sounds like you practiced the same way i did but used 1ounce bomb sinkers that i cut down to size haha and as you would have noticed that solid ground isn't as forgiving as water and no matter how perfect you adjust the brake and free spool you always get some over run, but what i did was, just before impact i use my thumb to slow or stop the spool. I adjust my reel by reeling up the jig/lure/rig all the way upto the guide, then pressing the button to l cast and giving the the tip a little flick so the jig/lure/rig drops about 1ft. Now casting into the wind i would adjust it a little looser so it drops a bit more like if i was going for distance, then when i cast i try to get the right pitch and just before impact i will use my technic to stop the spool, it stops over run and if you do it right it takes up some slack and gives you a little extra distance. Its a bit tricky and i'm still not perfect at it but it works for me lol.

I might go past BCF and see if they stock them and do what you said and get a feel of the reel.

Alitis007
5th February 2013, 02:37 PM
Your handle is on the wrong side... :p

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

If your right handed thats the correct way lol but every 1 changes it

Lonicus
5th February 2013, 03:10 PM
If your right handed thats the correct way lol but every 1 changes it

Guilty of that too lol I could never get comfortable with the left-hand wind.

I always use the thumb at the end of the cast too mate, either for accuracy or to stop overrun but it's never far from the spool. I never got good enough to have the lure gently plonk into the water at the same moment the spool stopped spinning :)

PMC
5th February 2013, 05:14 PM
Guilty of that too lol I could never get comfortable with the left-hand wind.

I always use the thumb at the end of the cast too mate, either for accuracy or to stop overrun but it's never far from the spool. I never got good enough to have the lure gently plonk into the water at the same moment the spool stopped spinning :)

Fess up Lonicus,

I know, you know, where all the secret fishing spots are. Share the info! lol

Regards,

Your humble servant!

RLI

threedogs
5th February 2013, 05:21 PM
OK Westy Heres the thing,, as a right handed person I wind with my left, BECAUSE my strongest/dominant arm is my right
which controls the rod............ Thats my theory, can use winding with my right but feels weird, well picked up BTW

Alas have not mastered the overhead reel,
got heaps of rod/reel combo's here collecting dust,
might take one up the Cape later this year if all goes well
Have watched the guy at 4x4/fishing show hit the bottom of a coke
can every cast, smart rrrrrs

Lonicus
5th February 2013, 05:51 PM
Fess up Lonicus,

I know, you know, where all the secret fishing spots are. Share the info! lol

Regards,

Your humble servant!

RLI

lol Go to the local fruit/seafood shop in town here, turn left when you walk through the door, past the cash registers, veer right and the fresh fish counter is right there.

Almost always get the targeted species with minimum fuss :)

Alitis007
5th February 2013, 07:35 PM
OK Westy Heres the thing,, as a right handed person I wind with my left, BECAUSE my strongest/dominant arm is my right
which controls the rod............ Thats my theory, can use winding with my right but feels weird, well picked up BTW

Alas have not mastered the overhead reel,
got heaps of rod/reel combo's here collecting dust,
might take one up the Cape later this year if all goes well
Have watched the guy at 4x4/fishing show hit the bottom of a coke
can every cast, smart rrrrrs

But i prefer my right hand to reel and strike with my left like most people, you need to give your weaker arm a workout every now and again hahaha

Alitis007
5th February 2013, 07:38 PM
lol Go to the local fruit/seafood shop in town here, turn left when you walk through the door, past the cash registers, veer right and the fresh fish counter is right there.

Almost always get the targeted species with minimum fuss :)

But thats the same as fishing at a fish farm, reward with no effort!! Plus sharing is caring lol

MEGOMONSTER
5th February 2013, 11:06 PM
But i prefer my right hand to reel and strike with my left like most people, you need to give your weaker arm a workout every now and again hahaha

So you like striking your "rod" with you left hand , hey. Lol

Lonicus
5th February 2013, 11:10 PM

Gotta lay on it til it goes numb first though ;)

MEGOMONSTER
5th February 2013, 11:10 PM
I'm pretty sure I had one just like this one, but had a different name on it.

Alitis007
5th February 2013, 11:17 PM

Right hand strike almost snaps it in half!!! Pml

threedogs
7th February 2013, 07:28 PM
On ACA australian Flathead $53 a Kg,,, $38 for Flattie fillets, They are called BAY RATS, but boy are they under rated

Alitis007
7th February 2013, 07:33 PM
On ACA australian Flathead $53 a Kg,,, $38 for Flattie fillets, They are called BAY RATS, but boy are they under rated

Thats sounds a bit deer mate, 53 bux seriously?? In eden the fish shop had flatty for $7 kg. Fish mungers fillets are only the tails coz they CBF de boning so you loose half the fish.

stevogq
7th February 2013, 09:37 PM
everytime i go out on the bay i go for flatties infact i prefur them better to snapper (dont correct me because ive tried both lol) absolutly love my flatties, i got to swan bay for massive lizards

MEGOMONSTER
8th February 2013, 06:00 AM
The bigger they are, the shallower the water needs to be, that's what I've found any way.
All my big ones have been in the shallows, maybe metre and a half.
Don't get me wrong there are good specimens out deeper and have caught them. 25531
This one I got in about 2 metres of water near Kirks point.

Lonicus
8th February 2013, 06:47 AM
Love the flatties, both to catch and eat.

threedogs
8th February 2013, 09:26 AM
Price was right as MOF was here didn't believe myself at first
Think the real big flatties are Dusky correct me if wrong, I've mainly caught Tiger
but along time ago now. Mallacoota is Vic Hot spot I think.
Can't beat a feed of flattie fillets thats for sure.
Best flattie bait is flattie cubes or it was years ago

stevogq
8th February 2013, 09:44 AM
I use pilchard cubes for bait and ground pilchards with anchovies for berley
cheers stevo.

MEGOMONSTER
8th February 2013, 10:11 AM
Your not wrong 3dogs, best flatties bait is flatties fillets. But I don't cube it,
1 fillet = 2 baits.

MEGOMONSTER
24th February 2013, 02:50 PM
I had a crack this morning out of Werribee, big mistake, the whiting classic fishing comp was on and there were hundreds of boats on water but I still did alright, biggest 47cm and 18 in total. 26064

Lonicus
24th February 2013, 04:23 PM
good result mate, nice feed or two there!

threedogs
24th February 2013, 04:27 PM
Just put BBQ on mego, Got JDs chilled waiting, waiting,
Going to Bearii next Friday If anyone interested, Couple of members
going, 6 going so far

MEGOMONSTER
25th February 2013, 11:30 PM
Just put BBQ on mego, Got JDs chilled waiting, waiting,
Going to Bearii next Friday If anyone interested, Couple of members
going, 6 going so far

Mmmmmmmmm, deep fried flathead yesterday, BBQ flathead today mmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Mmmmmmm
As for Bearii, I'll probably won't be able to make it, but I wouldn't mind trying to get s day trip in. I don't know. We'll see

MEGOMONSTER
11th March 2013, 08:52 PM
Went out at Western Port at Hastings not sure where we ended up was on a mates boat. All I remember was to top of Western Port.
Bagged out on pinky snapper.
Bagged out on King George Whiting.
7 squid and a cuttlefish.

Alitis007
11th March 2013, 10:11 PM
You done well Mego, i wanted to go out today but i thought BUGGER THAT getting cooked from the top and from the glair off the water !!

gaddy
11th March 2013, 10:18 PM
Smorgasbord , nice one can't wait for the weather to clear up here , the fresh to get out , and a new stator for the outboard this week , the only good thing is we have spent the wet weekends making sinkers ,

Gaddy

MEGOMONSTER
20th March 2013, 11:28 PM
How's this for a Jack, offshore Fraser Island. 27289

93patrol
20th March 2013, 11:52 PM
Nice little gold fish. Lol

gaddy
29th March 2013, 09:45 PM
went for a cobia fish today big flop 1 longtail and the only claim i have is i gaffed it , I only had 1 hook up all day ,40 min fight on 60 pound gear , the other photo is a boat in the harbour that had a bit of a opps moment , I am only in the phota with my daughter to give a size proifle i did not catch it !!!
gaddy

Lonicus
30th March 2013, 05:32 AM
Good to see at least one come over the side mate, and a nice one at that!

threedogs
30th March 2013, 08:59 AM
missed the boat ramp by that much, nice size fish is that a good one or average??

gaddy
30th March 2013, 09:06 PM
yes it is a good one maybe just shy of 30kg and built for speed , after about 30 min had to give chase

Gaddy

NP99
30th March 2013, 09:31 PM
Good one mate, I was out today east of Bribie, lots of boats not too much action :(

gaddy
30th March 2013, 09:40 PM
yea its a bit quite the water colour is not right yet and the moon is wrong , couple more days and should be good , but back to work then as usual best days are work days , night time outside would be good but the bar is a bit dangerous at present on the run out , and not a fan of these afternoon southley changes , no fish is worth dieing for

Gaddy

MEGOMONSTER
30th March 2013, 09:44 PM
Fun and feed, is all I need.

NP99
30th March 2013, 09:58 PM
yea its a bit quite the water colour is not right yet and the moon is wrong , couple more days and should be good , but back to work then as usual best days are work days , night time outside would be good but the bar is a bit dangerous at present on the run out , and not a fan of these afternoon southley changes , no fish is worth dieing for

Gaddy

Yes, there's still a lot of fresh water out there.

MEGOMONSTER
4th April 2013, 04:59 PM
Went out at Werribee this morning and bagged out with 20 squid by 9:30am then went for flatties and got 18.
Most were small but definitely a fun morning.

MEGOMONSTER
4th April 2013, 05:08 PM
Went out at Werribee this morning and bagged out with 20 squid by 9:30am then went for flatties and got 18.
Most were small but definitely a fun morning.
My mates started earlier this morning and they got 35 squid this morning and went back in about 9am.
I think the gardening may have to wait, might go again tomorrow but unlikely the Missus will agree.

threedogs
4th April 2013, 06:23 PM
Gee you're living the life Mego. guy across the road always out fishing. gotta beat a good day working
everytime. Must grab Bob and hit the Murray again very soon. The big CARP OFF part 2. Gotta defend
dare I say it my 630mm carp eeek. big fish which ever way you look at it, hopefully more Cod this time

Plus just brought 2 new rods a 6-8kg and a 12kg to blood

MEGOMONSTER
4th April 2013, 07:38 PM
Flathead fillets and calamari strips for dinner. 27808

threedogs
4th April 2013, 08:15 PM
Flathead would have to be one of the most under rated fish ever,
I'd put it up there with Barra and RED emperor. The best from Port Phillip
from my Diving days would be red mullet or Goat fish taste just like Cray mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Drewboyaus
4th April 2013, 08:52 PM
Flatties are never underestimated in our house. One of the best eating fish IMO.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

gaddy
4th April 2013, 08:56 PM
Nice feed there

Winnie
4th April 2013, 08:56 PM
I went fishing on the weekend and got license checked by the fisheries. One bloke there had no license and was a real smartass too, he copped a $140 fine and lost his dignity lmao

threedogs
4th April 2013, 09:06 PM
Wow never been checked ever, have rangers come to camp now and again last thing you
want to do is give them lip. They can take Boats, 4x4s the lot, tread lightly I say
Last time they came was Black Saturday just before the wind started so that would have
been 9.30ish never ever forget that day.

Winnie
4th April 2013, 09:14 PM
Well I was at Port Welshpool (popular place) and it was a public holiday so makes sense for them to be there. My mate didn't have a license but he didn't give any lip, so he was told to walk over the road and buy one.

threedogs
4th April 2013, 09:19 PM
Worked on a Shark boat out of Port Welshpool A while back
Crazy town then Boat was called the Valeer. Ended fishing in the furneaux group
1/2 way to Tassie, Best spot was DEAL Is, Harpuka/Boar fish, razor fish, Spur dog shark,
saw shark, gummy and school , trevally, you name it even Lemon shark 7 gill
still have jaws around here somewhere.

MEGOMONSTER
6th April 2013, 12:55 AM
My mates started earlier this morning and they got 35 squid this morning and went back in about 9am.
I think the gardening may have to wait, might go again tomorrow but unlikely the Missus will agree.

Another two boats went out this morning for a total of 56 squid between them. Wish I was one if them.
Have been asked by 3 different mates if I wanna go out Saturday morning.

NP99
6th April 2013, 03:31 PM
Port Phillip squid are the best in Australia :)

gaddy
6th April 2013, 06:09 PM
I new I should not have checked this , someone's been fishing , while I've not , but I do have some lovely rebuilt carbs and now a big hole in the floor where the fuel tank should be , got over a Lt of water out of it , and still getting some sludge as well , another drum of metho and all will be sweet

Gaddy

threedogs
6th April 2013, 07:01 PM
I'd think theres been a hell of a lot of fish pulled out of port Phillip bay over the Years. IMO

NP99
6th April 2013, 07:57 PM
I'd think theres been a hell of a lot of fish pulled out of port Phillip bay over the Years. IMO

I lived on that bay as a teenager, the muscles on the pylons were all ripped off by the Vietnamese, they have now grown back. Glad they enforce catch limits now.

MEGOMONSTER
8th April 2013, 09:42 PM
Tuna anyone.
http://youtu.be/EunuDZKnydI

Maxhead
8th April 2013, 09:47 PM
Tuna anyone.
http://youtu.be/EunuDZKnydI

Why doesn't this happen to me when I'm out there??????????????????????????????/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MEGOMONSTER
8th April 2013, 09:54 PM
New craze in fishing technique.
http://youtu.be/eSZ7e59KTak

MEGOMONSTER
8th April 2013, 10:02 PM
Massive flatties on the Tweed.
95cm specimen recently caught.

MEGOMONSTER
13th April 2013, 11:16 AM
Man catches fish in kayak, shark come and eat fish, man shits his pants as shark almost sits in the kayak.
http://youtu.be/puNhvXutVjQ

threedogs
13th April 2013, 11:32 AM
LMFAO with the dude catching that shark. Those Sth African sharks smash their prey from
underneath. Think he needed new undies ,I know I would have.
Plus one horse of a flattie, surprising how big some can grow to.
@99 not sure how old you are but the italians took all the mussells or greek
Thats why our country is so great.

Sitting on some rocks in 1983 up Cape York could not get comfortable
turned out I'm sitting on Black lip oysters, yeah, out with pocket knife, life is good

MEGOMONSTER
16th April 2013, 09:42 PM
How's this for a by-catch.

MEGOMONSTER
16th April 2013, 09:42 PM
Two words, BLOODY HELL

MEGOMONSTER
16th April 2013, 09:50 PM
I hope this never happens to me.
http://youtu.be/3D06wxbNbjo

threedogs
23rd April 2013, 08:26 AM
Heres a "T" shirt I picked up for fishing

MEGOMONSTER
23rd April 2013, 09:49 AM
Heres a "T" shirt I picked up for fishing

Too true 3dogs

threedogs
23rd April 2013, 12:04 PM
@ Mego I got it from the states, also gave them another suggestion for a fishing "T" shirt
MILF, no you're wrong it stands for "Man I Love Fishing" and hopefully they will send me a free one
if it passes the scutineers. Yell out if you need and details of shop

MEGOMONSTER
23rd April 2013, 06:19 PM
@ Mego I got it from the states, also gave them another suggestion for a fishing "T" shirt
MILF, no you're wrong it stands for "Man I Love Fishing" and hopefully they will send me a free one
if it passes the scutineers. Yell out if you need and details of shop

I reckon I might've seen it somewhere already. Not sure though. Good one anyway.

MEGOMONSTER
26th April 2013, 04:38 PM
Hope Bob catches this one.
http://youtu.be/_yvjBITxMdE

gaddy
26th April 2013, 07:45 PM
Was lucky enough to get a pro trip yesterday with a mate so thought I would show some pics , all caught rod and reel by the 2 of us , and photo of tonights dinner

Steve

MEGOMONSTER
26th April 2013, 07:47 PM
Was lucky enough to get a pro trip yesterday with a mate so thought I would show some pics , all caught rod and reel by the 2 of us , and photo of tonights dinner

Steve

Dinners gonna be great at your joint tonight.

gaddy
26th April 2013, 07:51 PM
sure was thats my pay for going with him , its a good gig , you learn so much , and get to fish for free

steve

Lonicus
27th April 2013, 07:37 AM
Looks like it was a busy day out there Gaddy, great stuff mate!

threedogs
27th April 2013, 10:06 AM
@ Gaddy do you call that red one a Goat fish/red mullet and tastes the same as Crayfish???

gaddy
27th April 2013, 12:57 PM
TD it's what we call a pig fish absolutely the best eating , when filleted and skinned you can almost see through it , only ever get them every now and then , and never more than 1 or 2 , the one above that is a rosey job fish also great eating ,possibly even better than the pearlies

Steve

threedogs
27th April 2013, 01:25 PM
Great thanks our goatfish/redmullet have two yellow feelers on chin, best eating ever but dont seem to bo able to catch a big pile of them.
I used to get them diving over sandy section with a rocky ledge near by. Tight lines buddy

Bob
29th April 2013, 10:48 AM
Just back from a Fishing Trip on the Murray and besides catching Carp and a Small Murray Cod I was amazed
when I caught a small Rainbow Trout

MEGOMONSTER
29th April 2013, 12:30 PM
Just back from a Fishing Trip on the Murray and besides catching Carp and a Small Murray Cod I was amazed
when I caught a small Rainbow Trout

Really, where's the proof. LoL

Bob
29th April 2013, 02:37 PM
Really, where's the proof. LoL

Did not take a Photo and BTW it was a Brown Trout.
It is the first time in my life that I have caught a Trout in the Murray but someone I was talking to over the
Weekend said that it was not unheard of.
I was not Drunk I can assure you and I have caught lots of Trout over my life and know one when I see one.

Read in detail the Article at http://www.murrayriver.com.au/fishing/bait/

threedogs
29th April 2013, 03:09 PM
Yes I've heard but never seen it even redfin. Need pics Bob

MEGOMONSTER
29th April 2013, 03:13 PM
Did not take a Photo and BTW it was a Brown Trout.
It is the first time in my life that I have caught a Trout in the Murray but someone I was talking to over the
Weekend said that it was not unheard of.
I was not Drunk I can assure you and I have caught lots of Trout over my life and know one when I see one.

Read in detail the Article at http://www.murrayriver.com.au/fishing/bait/

Where did you go again, I can't find your original post, Strathmerton??????

Bob
29th April 2013, 03:15 PM
Where did you go again, I can't find your original post, Strathmerton??????

Yeah Wide Beach near Ulupna Station out from Strathmerton

threedogs
29th April 2013, 03:33 PM
@ bob did you get trout on worms ????

Bob
29th April 2013, 03:38 PM
@ bob did you get trout on worms ????

No on Chicken Chippies

MEGOMONSTER
29th April 2013, 04:56 PM
Hooray for chicken Chippee's, just remember it a secret, so don't go telling everybody. Shhhhhhhhhh

threedogs
29th April 2013, 06:17 PM
Secrets safe with me Mego no one else knows about the Chicken chippees[INGHAM]

Winnie
29th April 2013, 06:24 PM
Mmmmm chicken chippies, could put them in my new pie warmer and have them warm for the fish to eat.

MEGOMONSTER
29th April 2013, 07:49 PM
All this fish talk has made go out for a quick fish. Well for squiding.
No much luck for 3 hrs fishing two tiny squid good for bait

MEGOMONSTER
29th April 2013, 08:15 PM
Just went to local car wash to wash the boat out and some smart C..T thought it would be funny to put dirty black grease all over the high pressure gun.
F...ing p..ses me off. As...ole c...ts m...her f...ers

DX grunt
29th April 2013, 08:21 PM
For all you WAssies, the Salmon are running down at Albany at the mo.

MEGOMONSTER
30th April 2013, 06:02 PM
Went out again today this time for flatties.
Ended up with 20, with two at 45 and 47cm

gaddy
30th April 2013, 07:45 PM
Nice one , flathead and chips for dinner .

Steve

MEGOMONSTER
30th April 2013, 08:28 PM
Nice one , flathead and chips for dinner .

Steve

That's tomorrow, went to see mum for dinner.

MEGOMONSTER
20th May 2013, 10:16 PM
Another massive Jack caught.
13kg monster of the reefs.

Lonicus
21st May 2013, 05:54 AM
Damn, that would have been a fight and a half!

MEGOMONSTER
21st May 2013, 06:00 AM
Plenty in the river where your going.
Just nowhere near that size.

Lonicus
21st May 2013, 06:33 AM
Don't know what I'd do with one that size mate.

Yeah can't wait to get into a few up there.

MEGOMONSTER
21st May 2013, 06:54 AM
You probably wouldn't eat it when they're that big.

Lonicus
21st May 2013, 07:23 AM
Nah, it'd be a quick pic and put back in. The smaller ones though, they're a good feed!

MEGOMONSTER
24th May 2013, 11:34 PM
Imagine this coming out of our mighty Murray river.

Alitis007
24th May 2013, 11:47 PM
That sheila looks like she just ran a marathon and that guy looks like shaggy from scooby doo.... Oh wait your talking about the fish, yeh thats a monster mate lol

NP99
25th May 2013, 12:09 AM
Yes I've heard but never seen it even redfin. Need pics Bob

Caught lots of Redfin as a kid on the Murray

MEGOMONSTER
25th May 2013, 07:04 AM
Caught lots of Redfin as a kid on the Murray

I haven't pulled out a Reddie from the Murray in years, although the last ten years I've be targeting cod.

Got some nice reddies from behind the weir wall at lake Hume back in January.
On bait and lures, was a good afternoon.

Avo
25th May 2013, 11:15 AM
this is the crab my dear daughter caughtat the 40mile campsite just south of Karratha..Yes i got outfished..

Avo
25th May 2013, 11:18 AM
heaps of redfin down my way,every now and then you get a 4/5 pounder.The Warren river produces heaps of them and they get trapped in pools when the river dries up a bit

MEGOMONSTER
25th May 2013, 11:28 AM
heaps of redfin down my way,every now and then you get a 4/5 pounder.The Warren river produces heaps of them and they get trapped in pools when the river dries up a bit

Where exactly is up my way

Avo
25th May 2013, 12:18 PM
sth west WA,Warren river .Beautiful part of the world if you ask me but i'm a little bit bias..

threedogs
25th May 2013, 12:31 PM
Out fished by your daughter Priceless. Nice muddies,
never had one myself on the Bucket list

Not allowed to return Redfin to the water here , how about WA??

MEGOMONSTER
25th May 2013, 01:32 PM
Not allowed to return Redfin to the water here , how about WA??

Too delicious to throw back.

Avo
25th May 2013, 02:21 PM
nah not allowed here but i wouldn't either too nice to eat excatly.

hekarewe
25th May 2013, 02:25 PM
taking 4 fishing rods to cape york 2 surf rods and 2 short spinning rods, but how to carry them up there with out breaking them and with out having them in my way also need to be able to access them quickly if an oppertunity arises to have a quick fish. what to do? got an idea from one of torques 4x4 clients who had the small rods fitted to the front of the lad barrier in behind the back seats. so with idea in mind it was of to Charlton fishing at red bank and we hit the jack pot with a set of Berkly lock ring road holders which are now fitted to the front of my load barrier behind the back seat and yes i have included some pictures of how it all looks now it is fitted. tomorrow it is off to masters to buy some PVC and then clark rubber to build a set rod tubes for the roof rack will p[ost up photos after they are done

threedogs
25th May 2013, 02:55 PM
Buy a "decent" telescopic rod with a bit of guts to it, what ever your thinking fish wise double it.
We took Black Queens, {joke} ended up in Jack Erksines in Cairnes and brought some 6" lures on Snapper style rods.
The theory back then was catch a 10lb fish use 20lb line, Agree I want a feed not a fight with possibilty of losing it.
Have a nice big lure ready to flick every river crossing ,you'll be eating fish every night, Dont forget to go crabbing too,
MMMMMMMmmmm crabs, Caught a 700mm Barra on the Wenloc on the way up southside down stream 100mtr,

@ hekarewe that rod way to light IMO
could always store rods in anysize pvc with either a screw cap or just push on end cap.

hekarewe
25th May 2013, 03:16 PM
@ hekarewe that rod way to light IMO
could always store rods in anysize pvc with either a screw cap or just push on end cap.[/QUOTE]

that rod that you say is 2 light 3d takes an egg beeter reel with 5kg line being as it is a spining rod for bushy creeks and places with a lots growth on the banks it is plenty big enough i have 2kg trout in the blue mountians with it as well as using it in estrays to land tailer and even a shark on it but then agian it does take finesse to land big fish on light gear guess maybe i am more of a sport fisherman then a thug fisherman last place i used fishing line bigger then 20kg was growning up in PNG but over there fish actually got to grow to a decent size.

threedogs
25th May 2013, 03:22 PM
You know what to expect then , had to retreive snagged lure on Wenloc, chest deep in water a bull shark head floated by,
I was bulletproof back then lol

MEGOMONSTER
27th May 2013, 12:33 AM
Taking my leading hand out fishing tomorrow, he rang me up earlier tonight asking if I was going fishing tomorrow morning and if he could come with me if I was, which is very surprising to me. So I said yes, (suck I know) he wants to throw around the soft plastics, so I'll take him to where I've been getting all my flatties lately, ( the last load of flatties)
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/134.jpgas I'm pretty sure he'll pick up a fish on the plastics there, although I've never tried there, always using fresh bait and fresh flatties fillets.
Won't be going till later in the morning say 9am by the time we get to the water, as I need to drop the car off at Western 4x4 (ARB) to get my Long Ranger sub tank installed.

MEGOMONSTER
27th May 2013, 07:30 PM
Got 22 flathead and a small gummy shark, had a really good day with my mate Stretch. Good fishing and great conversation.

threedogs
27th May 2013, 07:39 PM
Would be like a sheet of glass out on the bay lately eh ??

MEGOMONSTER
27th May 2013, 07:44 PM
Would be like a sheet of glass out on the bay lately eh ??

It wasn't really that flat but wasn't choppy either.
The morning was great and fish were on during the NW'er but completely dead when it switch around to SE'er.

MEGOMONSTER
5th June 2013, 02:51 PM
Was thinking of going to Bearii on the the Murray for a cray fish but found out I can't fish for Crays past the Newell hwy Tocumwal. Not happy, oh well, should still get fish.

threedogs
5th June 2013, 03:03 PM
When you going as Bob will be Strathmerton way from tomorrow on

Bob
5th June 2013, 04:22 PM
Was thinking of going to Bearii on the the Murray for a cray fish but found out I can't fish for Crays past the Newell hwy Tocumwal. Not happy, oh well, should still get fish.

Glad you checked up on that as i read that it was banned upstream from Tocumwal.

Hope you have a good trip.

Sent by a Samsung S3 using Motorculture App