PDA

View Full Version : gq steering damage after day out

Kai
28th October 2012, 01:28 PM
went for a short trip today, ended up catching the outside edge of the front left wheel pretty hard on a deep rut.

now my sterring wheel is almost facing backwards when driving straight, steering box is leakin quickly from a seal on the input end....

is it possible to damage inside the steering box to cause the steering wheel to face backwards, but still be able to drive it home, ie, it still relays my sterring input to the wheels... even though something has slipped/ broken, any ideas guys,

thanks in advance

Bigrig
28th October 2012, 01:33 PM
Stuffed steering box mate ... had the same thing happen with the lads down in Victoria when I was down there - not sure if the box is in condition to be rebuilt, but I bought a reco'd one for $235 and put it in with Paul in AB's driveway - not difficult, but the banjo fittings were a pain to reseat on mine ...

Think you're up for a new steering box mate.

happygu
28th October 2012, 01:36 PM
Hi Kai,

I don't think you have damaged the inside of the steering box - if you did that you would have most likely sheared off teeth inside the steering box, and then it would have times where the steering wheel would just spin in our hands with the wheels not turning.

It is more likely that you have bent one of the steering arms, such as your draglink, and the seal has broken from the instant bump shock.

Either way you need to get the steering box fixed.....

Mic

Kai
28th October 2012, 01:43 PM
they were my main to ideas aswell...
@ bigrig, were u still able to steer as normal after the steering box failed.

yeah, gonna have to pull the box either way, but just wany to diagnose the reason for the steering wheel turning 180...
thanks for the quick replies...
any other ideas or info

happygu
28th October 2012, 01:52 PM
Kai,

Does your draglink look like this?

http://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au/Nissan-GQ-Patrol-ADJ-Draglink-NEW-Heavy-Duty-Greasable-Drag-Link.html

Mic

threedogs
28th October 2012, 02:11 PM
Price sounds ok was or is that for change over.???

Bigrig
28th October 2012, 02:12 PM
they were my main to ideas aswell...
@ bigrig, were u still able to steer as normal after the steering box failed.

yeah, gonna have to pull the box either way, but just wany to diagnose the reason for the steering wheel turning 180...
thanks for the quick replies...
any other ideas or info

Yeah mate - had steering but started getting heavy as I lost fluid on the way home - I didn't bend any arms, but the shock damaged the box and I had to replace it - centred my steering wheel back up at the same time as the swap.

Kai
28th October 2012, 02:47 PM
thanks big rig, im hoping my issue is just the steering box like yours was, then its only one thing thats needs to be worked on :)
@ happy gtu, i checked your link, are you just referring to an adjustable hd draglink, if so, then no, mine is a standard draglink, i checked it and it may have a very minimal bend to it....maybe, certainly not what i would expect for the steering wheel to be out by 180.
thanks again guys... very helpful and putting my mind at ease a bit too...

Kai
28th October 2012, 04:14 PM
okay, so does anyone know if my steering box can be fixed, from there own experiences, i think the gasket that has bloen is easy, but what would have given up inside to cause initial slip in the steering...

Bigrig
28th October 2012, 04:19 PM
okay, so does anyone know if my steering box can be fixed, from there own experiences, i think the gasket that has bloen is easy, but what would have given up inside to cause initial slip in the steering...

Pretty sure they can be reconditioned depending on the damage mate.

Kai
28th October 2012, 04:37 PM
i guess i will check the workshop manual ... cheers

Kai
29th October 2012, 07:32 AM
my workshop manual only shows removal and instal of the steering box, does anyone know which manual has a rebuild section for the box, or at least some diagrams of the parts of the steering box, just trying to work out which parts might need replacement besides the gasket, so i
can decide whether to fix or replace

macca
29th October 2012, 12:04 PM
Looks real bad but you got home

Kai
30th October 2012, 03:01 PM
sooo... does anyone have a gq or gu steering box (not leaf sprung version) that they would part with ? :)