PDA

View Full Version : carby swap

chrisandthebeast
25th October 2012, 02:08 PM
has anyone changed their 4.2 petrol to an aftermarket carby...results?

threedogs
25th October 2012, 03:09 PM
Is there a holley conversion available???

chrisandthebeast
25th October 2012, 03:51 PM
I was just looking at some service history of my car and one place suggested a holley 350 with an adaptor kit due to my carby being a lil shot.... Just wondering if any one had been down this path

taslucas
25th October 2012, 04:02 PM
I was just looking at some service history of my car and one place suggested a holley 350 with an adaptor kit due to my carby being a lil shot.... Just wondering if any one had been down this path

Hi mate, don't be scared to use the search function. There are a few threads on this topic.

Tap, crackle, pop

nissannewby
25th October 2012, 04:43 PM
I thought the holley 350 was used on the RB30 motors with some slight modification. I would be looking at efi by the time you get another carb and get it setup correctly efi will still give you better results both in power and fuel economy

taslucas
25th October 2012, 08:41 PM
I thought the holley 350 was used on the RB30 motors with some slight modification. I would be looking at efi by the time you get another carb and get it setup correctly efi will still give you better results both in power and fuel economy

Your probably right about going for the efi but there are holley kits for the TB42. They get a 350 holley and convert it to 330 then turn it sideways to the way they normally run so that it doesnt starve going up hills.

Here is a link to the holley kit http://recarb.com.au/holley-conversion-patrol-tb42-p-12.html

Ive heard mixed results with those. Theres a guy around here that ive talked to that has the 330 holley conversion kit on his swb Mav and reckons its the best thing he's done to it..... Ive also talked to 2 other people that have fitted them and regret doing it. So who knows!?
You could get your carby fully rebuilt (stripped and dipped) and have about enough dollars leftover for electric ignition for the $659 that the holley kit costs. Then just bolt on and go. The holley kits would have to be tuned and setup.

GQ TANK
26th October 2012, 09:54 AM
Also consider stright gas with a gas research carby

Morton
27th October 2012, 07:52 PM
rebuild original, flick the auto choke, fit a manuel choke, they play up badly