View Full Version : RB30 engine rebuild.

Ben89
23rd October 2012, 08:42 PM
So i've been reading alot about people putting turbo's on there rb30 engines for more power and better fuel economy etc.. But I have a few questions.
1. What is the best engine to buy to actually do this rb30 turbo rebuild, I've heard alot of engines to put in for example, vl rb30 engine? r31 skyline engine? and I'm most certain I've read other ones aswell.
2. What is an rb30E?
3. For a person who has just started to get to know the mechanic side of things on his patrol, How hard is it to do this conversion, I know I'll probably have to get it professionally tuned after I've slapped it all on.
4. Are the only items I really need to get my hands on is the new engine, and new fuel lines/pump?

Cheers for the help or a direction someone can put me it, Scratching myself to get out in the bush already

Ben

macca86
23rd October 2012, 08:47 PM
rb30 e is electronic injection a patrol rb30 is carby. I'd buy a vl or 31 skyline then you have the looms to swap over and fuel pumps you can rebuild it on the bench look up cl forums for info on turbos and parts then slide her in and away you go. There is a bit more to it but someone should be along with more info soon

Ben89
23rd October 2012, 08:56 PM
Cheers macca, Is there a difference in the vl or the 31 skyline engines?

macca86
23rd October 2012, 09:18 PM
from memory the r31 skylines had a better gearbox and bigger radiators and the turbo versions had an intercooler maybe slightly better heads in the skyline but they'll be more expensive you can pick up a beaten old vl for 700 bucks.

nissannewby
23rd October 2012, 10:58 PM
You want the injected motor. Look for an engine that was a factory turbo like in the vl Calais and r31 skyline. If you can't get the turbo version rebuild with high end internals. Forged and balance bottom end with forged top end, rb26 dohc head, nice big front mount and a fuel system that's up to the task and you will be giggling like a school girl. A lot of this stuff is readily available and not to expensive. For a turboed rb30 in a patrol for good results you wanna be chasing around the 300 hp mark

davo94
24th October 2012, 12:26 PM
If your looking for a RB30e look at a series 2 engine as the oil return is already drilled on the passenger side. The N/a engine is the same block as the turbo. Personally i wouldn't bother as the rb30 with boost is still a pig down low.

Steve200b
28th October 2012, 05:06 PM
Just put the injection on your patrol motor it has a slightly higher compression ratio

Robo
30th October 2012, 02:57 PM
Hey bro.
rb26 head on rb30 block is a common up grade on street skylines and dunny-doors.
much better flowing head twin cam etc twin turbo or single.
twin turbo gives better low down than a single.
2x smaller will spool faster than a larger single.
it all depends on output KW your after.
just remember Hi kw means far less bottom end and turbo lag as a rule.
You would also need to convert to efi and computer etc.
nissannewby advise above x2
cheers.