PDA

View Full Version : GQ 4.2 Dual battery ????

makeitfit
23rd October 2012, 07:37 PM
Hi Guys, I've got a GQ 4.2 shortie and it has a dual battery set up on it, I think Nissan spec. Can anyone tell me if this is a split charge type system so I can run my winch off the second battery keeping the main one for safe engine starting?
Also does anyone recommend a twin battery condition gauge please?
I was out at the weekend and had to lend my 2nd battery to a poorly Landie :tease: it struggled to start the old thing . So I'm not sure if it was landie starter prob or my charging / battery problems.
Cheers oh learned ones :bowdown:

Bloodyaussie
23rd October 2012, 08:53 PM
I would keep the winch on the main battery mate.. it is usually only used while the engine is running..

There are many battery meters out there, I use a piranha.

pearcey
23rd October 2012, 09:48 PM
G`day mate
I run two alternators and top quality batteries
the second alternator run the second battery which runs all the ancillary equipment
This set up has never let me down in twenty years of off road touring.

MudRunnerTD
23rd October 2012, 10:10 PM
G`day mate
I run two alternators and top quality batteries
the second alternator run the second battery which runs all the ancillary equipment
This set up has never let me down in twenty years of off road touring.

This post is Useless without PICS!!! Show me your twin Alternator setup bud!

I have a mate that fitted a 24v alternator to run a 24v setup for the winch only so carries extra isolated batteries in the back

pearcey
25th October 2012, 08:36 PM
My twin alternator set up

Bloodyaussie
25th October 2012, 09:10 PM
Hmmm sexy!!!!!!

BigRAWesty
25th October 2012, 10:25 PM
My twin alternator set up

Nice idea.. But what is the point? A 120A alt would be more than enough and takes less room.
But I guess price would be on par.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

pearcey
25th October 2012, 10:51 PM
Nice idea.. But what is the point? A 120A alt would be more than enough and takes less room.
But I guess price would be on par.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

G`day Kallen
I have seen all the fancy systems.and I have seen a lot fail and when your 2 or 3 days from help a very cheap failsafe system is a good idea.
It takes up very little space was easy and simple to wire up and has been super reliable over the past 20 years of extreme out back travel

Clunk
25th October 2012, 10:55 PM
Which ones the original Pearcy and did you have to change the pulleys for the extra drive belt?

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

rusty_nail
25th October 2012, 11:04 PM
love the setup, love the idea, i might have to invest in something similar! out of curiosity would somthing like this put undue strain on your belts?

makeitfit
26th October 2012, 12:30 AM
Top job, I likey :)
BUT can anyone tell me if the Nissan fitted dual battery set up is split charged ? If so I can up the capacity of the 2nd battery and the 2nd alternator can charge the 2nd battery .
Where did you get the brackets to hold the 2nd alternator by the way?

pearcey
26th October 2012, 05:49 PM
G`day all
First up every thing is standard gear apart from the home made mount, the adjustment bracket is off some wreck and is not modified in any way.
All that was done was to remove the outer belt from the original system line up the pulley make up the mounting brackets then find the right length belt. one thing the pulley on the new alternator must have the same v section as the original system. Another hint always carry a spare belt, as where I travel it`s sometimes hard to match belts. Fitted up my second alternator which is of a Daihatsu runs all the electrics that are not OE, so it charges the deep cycle second battery which in turn runs UHF and HF radios 40 Lt fridge some times we all so carry an 18Lt which we use as a freezer.
GPS,Laptop and video screen for navigation. When we use the camper trailer or caravan it charges deep cycle batteries fitted to each plus some some small chargers and multi media player and small lights. One big plus for me is that if the OE alternator does fail I can still get home

BigRAWesty
26th October 2012, 07:39 PM
Ok so the second one is purely to the secondary battery? And is smaller than standard? How many Amps is it?
After you theory it does seem a better option.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

pearcey
26th October 2012, 08:33 PM
Ok so the second one is purely to the secondary battery? And is smaller than standard? How many Amps is it?
After you theory it does seem a better option.

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

Yes the second one just runs all the add on equipment plus the trailer or caravan gear. All my batteries are 75 amp deep cycle optimas including the start battery. The OE alternator is 75 amp and the second is 55 amp .In 20 years of remote travel this system has not let me down. Mind you I cant say the same for lead acid batteries, but since fitting the Optimas quite a few years back I`ve had no problems. By remote travel I mean up to 3 weeks with no other source of power.