PDA

View Full Version : Occasional temporary power loss

jmnug2
23rd October 2012, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

I have a 1991 Patrol with a 3.0L petrol engine. It is mainly used to tow a 2 ton boat for relatively long distances.

For the past few years it has been occasionally losing power whilst towing the boat, causing it to slow down, sometimes not being able to make it above 30 kph. It's not the most powerful car but can easily tow at 100 kph when she's working properly. The power loss generally occurs shortly after the beginning of a journey and also when the accelerator is pressed to the floor for too long.

When it loses power, I turn her off and let it sit for a few minutes. Almost always she goes back to working properly again.

I feel like it is a fuel supply issue, has anyone had a similar problem? I'm thinking of checking out the fuel pump and filter, where are these located?

I had a refurbished engine put in it 2 years ago following a snapped timing belt. The issue occurred before and after the installation.

Cheers,
jmnug2

threedogs
23rd October 2012, 02:26 PM
Hi Mate might want to jump over to the intros so we get to
know a bit more about you and your ride. Just something the Forum asks of everyone
You'll find you'll get a better response as well

jmnug2
23rd October 2012, 04:18 PM
No worries, will do mate.

mudnut
23rd October 2012, 05:30 PM
The second stage carby butterfly used to get stuck on my rb30. It would do it at random times and in random positions, but usually if the carby was cold. I took the butterfly assembly apart and used some fine wet'n'dry sandpaper to smoothe the carby bore and butterfly. It took a few goes to get it to seat correctly without binding. It also helps to have the heat shield and stove pipe and bypass assembly fitted correctly as it warms up the carby a lot quicker.

Bubba
24th October 2012, 04:00 AM
I had the same problem with mine, playing with the butterfly fixed it .

mudnut
24th October 2012, 11:13 AM
I also forgot to mention; It's a good idea to get the engine up to 4000 rpm at least once, each time you drive, just to make sure the assembly doesn't seize up.

threedogs
24th October 2012, 12:01 PM
Mudnut seriously concerned you should be driving in that condition LOL
4000 once what every set of lights cooool , I hear you Bro

mudnut
24th October 2012, 03:47 PM
Mudnut seriously concerned you should be driving in that condition LOL
4000 once what every set of lights cooool , I hear you Bro

Out my way there's only one set of traffic lights and a few pedestrian crossings, and I'm sure I would get noticed by the law, If I kept turning up at the intersection just to hoon a bit.

GQ TANK
26th October 2012, 11:46 AM
With the engine change, did you use the old carby?.

jmnug2
27th October 2012, 11:11 AM
Yep, same old carby. Is the fuel pump a likely offender too or should I just focus on the carby? Don't worry about the high revs. With the RB30's lack of power and the big boat on the back most of the time, I'm rarely under 4k ;)