PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor setup

luvpsi
22nd October 2012, 02:07 PM
Hey guys I'm looking at doing a air tank setup do I just use a normal 12 volt compressor and get a tigerz11 tank and run a pressure switch or does it need a special air compressor

threedogs
22nd October 2012, 04:20 PM
Sounds right if its just for lockers, the hotdog shaped tank 1 gal I think on the inside of chassis is the go.
compressor under the bonnet, relay, switch on centre console,

BigRAWesty
22nd October 2012, 05:21 PM
Be careful mounting cheaper units under the bonnet. There temp cut off can be around 60-70 degrees, and after a good beach flogging they don't wanna work.. (found out the hard way..)

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

threedogs
22nd October 2012, 06:03 PM
Also dont forget a one way valve on the air line to stop air leaking back through the compressor. You might consider running a manifold so you can run front and rear
air outlets. Had them on last 4x4, best thing ever, plus only need short piece of hose

luvpsi
22nd October 2012, 09:20 PM
I only wanna use it mainly for tyres and air blower etc I was just gonna mount it in the back

Irvs
23rd October 2012, 12:24 AM
My neighbour was telling me there's now rock sliders that are designed to store compressed air in them, so basically long skinny tanks, thought that was a pretty clever idea if your in the market for sliders too possibly

luvpsi
23rd October 2012, 12:55 AM
The budget does not permit for them unfortunately

Clunk
23rd October 2012, 01:10 AM
The budget does not permit for them unfortunately

what setup did your mate have in the back of his?????

threedogs
23rd October 2012, 07:36 AM
Is there room for a tank in the area up in behind that rear loop.
If you're running a tank ,you'll need a one way valve, only used mine for airing up
and blowing duties, was even capable of running rattle gun, but better options these days.
I had those front/rear outlets, as sick and tired of popping bonnet all the time.
X 2 with Big Westy don't buy cheap it wont work under bonnet if tripped.

luvpsi
23rd October 2012, 10:14 AM
what setup did your mate have in the back of his?????

Trevs setup did you not see it on Sunday

I dOnt plan on putting it under bonnet just in the back

Clunk
23rd October 2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah isaw that he had a tank in the rear but wasnt sure how it was all set up

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

luvpsi
23rd October 2012, 11:03 AM
Yeah had the compressor on top of the tank all he had to do was open side window and run the hose out he pumped my tyres up with no probs he even was using it on Tim's troll with blower

Madriver911
23rd October 2012, 05:55 PM
I'll post some pics later of the set up. Its great for running air tools and it doesn't do a bad job of pumping up the tyres as well

TRev

Madriver911
24th October 2012, 11:24 AM
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/Madriver_911/file_zps80e6dd01.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/Madriver_911/file_zpsa9741309.jpg

Its a simple set up. A 72lpm air compressor mounted on a 1 gallon tank

TRev

harro959
3rd November 2012, 05:31 PM
Sorry for the nubish question.
But what is the benefit of doing this if you cant run air tools off the setups???

If it is only to run the compressor without lifting the bonnet, then why dont you run an anderson plug to the bullbar??

bmaynard55
4th November 2012, 08:57 PM
Really the only things you need to look at is how quickly you want to pump up your tyres. Until recently all I had was an ARB high output on board compressor mounted under the rear window and for coming back off the track this was plenty. These come with a cushion tank as a buffer to take a bit of strain off the compressor but not quite enough if you really wana give things a blow out. Recently put drawers in and as I need the child anchor bolts this left room behind the seats for, 2nd battery, sub and bought just the 9L air tank off Tigerz. Heaps of holes in the tank so you can tuck it wherever and still either run your hose out the window, from behind the chairs or out to a fitting. As for pressure valves my compressor comes with one so it doesn't pop its little tank so literally all I had to do was unscrew the hose fitting (anderson fitting), whack it on the tank and run a hose from the compressor tank to feed the new one

In short the tank just provides a volume of air you can use so your not relying on the air displacement of the compressor.

BigRAWesty
8th November 2012, 06:45 PM
So how noisy are these compressors inside the cab?
I'm in 2 minds of wether to tempt fait again and mount under the bonnet, or build it into the draw system in a sound deadened box??

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Madriver911
9th November 2012, 12:59 PM
I only run it when i'm outside the car so it doesn't bother me

TRev

BigRAWesty
9th November 2012, 02:15 PM
Yea good one..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

scotty83
9th November 2012, 03:05 PM
Noise might still be an issue if you have youngsters/passengers in the back.

BigRAWesty
9th November 2012, 03:19 PM
Noise might still be an issue if you have youngsters/passengers in the back.

Yea my thoughts. Might put it in a sound proof box..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

scotty83
9th November 2012, 03:39 PM
Don't forget airflow and heat needs to escape.

Tapped on by ScottyB

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2012, 03:46 PM
The ARB Hi Output Compresser is a Great product. Cna be mounted outside teh car with No concern at all. Infact ARB has one on display at their Kilsyth Factory in a Fish Tank full of water on 100% Duty cycle fully submerged with only a vent via one of their Solenoids mounted to it. Quite extraordinary!

If you are going to fit a Tank into your system then its a great idea for use with Tools and what not, also for a big blast to rebead a tyre it can be handy too. The point there though is your ability to increase the pressure in the tank to 100 - 120psi for usable air.

When designing your setup you really need to be able to isolate the tank from the system via a gate valve or solenoid or you will be increasing what your poor old compressor has to pump up every time you fit it to a tyre. Your 33 will be like pumping a 35 and so on. Its just more volume to get to your running pressure. Turn it off and isolate it as it is slowing down your airup.

I have 2 air tanks and have isolated them via an ARB Solenoid for when i am airing up

MudRunnerTD
9th November 2012, 03:48 PM
Don't forget airflow and heat needs to escape.

Tapped on by ScottyB

Yes i have my Big compressor mounted in a Box and fitted the rear door speaker cover over a hole the same size as the vent for the box. ;) if you have fitted new speakers to your front doors and did not use the covers then they work very well. Looks sweet too ;)

BigRAWesty
11th November 2012, 09:01 AM
Good idea there MR..
I was also thinking of fitting a 100mm fan from a pc.. They run well on 12V..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of

scotty83
11th November 2012, 10:02 AM
Good thing is you can get these in silent and adjustable speed units. Would be good to maybe fit a timer relay so the fan ran a little longer than the compressor to cool it down after service. (hmm he says as he types should look into this)

BigRAWesty
11th November 2012, 10:27 AM
Good thing is you can get these in silent and adjustable speed units. Would be good to maybe fit a timer relay so the fan ran a little longer than the compressor to cool it down after service. (hmm he says as he types should look into this)

Good idea.. But that's getting a bit technical.. By pass wires for power after switch off, relays... Omg my heads hurting...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of