PDA

View Full Version : oil and pressure

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 11:37 AM
Hi guys im sure this is not the first time oil pressure and the gq has been spoken about but mine is sitting on 0 and a maximum of 1 when driving. The engine (tb42) is running fine and iv read the gauges are poor but what i want to know is what should i do and what could happen if i was to do nothink.

taslucas
22nd October 2012, 11:58 AM
Yep, you've read right, the gauges are notorious for giving bad readings. Mine doesn't know what it wants to do. You can ignore it (at the risk of not knowing what the oil pressure is actually doing), fit another standard oil pressure sender (not sure how long it will last. Have heard they bugger up pretty quick with water crossings and mud), or fit an aftermarket gauge inside the cab (put a "T" piece in and run your new line to the new gauge).

Tap, crackle, pop

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 12:06 PM
Yep, you've read right, the gauges are notorious for giving bad readings. Mine doesn't know what it wants to do. You can ignore it (at the risk of not knowing what the oil pressure is actually doing), fit another standard oil pressure sender (not sure how long it will last. Have heard they bugger up pretty quick with water crossings and mud), or fit an aftermarket gauge inside the cab (put a "T" piece in and run your new line to the new gauge).

Tap, crackle, pop

Being that im not that mechanically minded i know low pressure is a bad sign , what sort of damage would it cause the engine if it is being run on low oil pressure?

threedogs
22nd October 2012, 12:32 PM
You would have no oil getting to top of engine, oil pressure is HP.
Fit after market guages to monitor all engine functions, oil pressure, water temp, Volts,
easier to drive knowing whats going on, easy to fit, great peace of mind too

taslucas
22nd October 2012, 01:38 PM
As threedogs says, low oil pressure means oil won't get pumped to the top of the engine and therefore not lubricate and cool engine components. My gauge sits anywhere between 0 and 4 but it's completely random. Im fairly confident that it's only a faulty gauge so I don't worry about it. An after market gauge is on the list of things to do one-day

Tap, crackle, pop

threedogs
22nd October 2012, 04:10 PM
Lucas do you have a red light if it goes pear shaped??
or is it just a crappy guage?

taslucas
22nd October 2012, 04:13 PM
Lucas do you have a red light if it goes pear shaped??
or is it just a crappy guage?

Yeah got the red warning light. Comes on at start up then turns off after about 6 seconds.

Tap, crackle, pop

threedogs
22nd October 2012, 04:17 PM
Then at least theres something there as a warning, after market oil pressure guage can't cost that much.?
think I saw a DIY thread where someone fitted two guages under radio in the dash, looked ok there

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks im hoping it isnt the sign of bigger troubles to come

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 06:27 PM
As threedogs says, low oil pressure means oil won't get pumped to the top of the engine and therefore not lubricate and cool engine components. My gauge sits anywhere between 0 and 4 but it's completely random. Im fairly confident that it's only a faulty gauge so I don't worry about it. An after market gauge is on the list of things to do one-day

Tap, crackle, pop.

Does that mean i would be able to see this in term of the temp gauge getting hot if not enough oil was bein
g pumped around?

taslucas
22nd October 2012, 06:36 PM

Does that mean i would be able to see this in term of the temp gauge getting hot if not enough oil was bein
g pumped around?

Yeah but probably a bit late then. Your GQ will have a warning light that comes on if the oil gets too low

Tap, crackle, pop

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 06:38 PM
Is their any way to check oil pressure without taking it to a mechanic?

Lieney
22nd October 2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah got the red warning light. Comes on at start up then turns off after about 6 seconds.

Tap, crackle, pop

Oil lights would run on a switch. This means the switch is either on or off. A guage would run on a variable resistance type sender (several types).
SO..... If you have oil in your engine and the pump is turning (engine running) it will create flow, thus lubricating your engine.
Restrictions within the engine create pressure and the light will turn off once activated by the set pressure setting.
If there is no oil in your sump (or all the oil suddenly escapes when you're driving) the pump will spin free and flow will stop along with pressure. Also your engine gets no lube.
Once the pressure drops, the switch will activate and the light turns on.
I'll almost guarantee the light will go on at near on full noise, climbing a sand dune, or when under heaps of load. Or you will not see the light until it's too late.
Then pistons come out, crankshafts come apart and all things = $$$$
If the light is on, there is no (very little) pressure.

Get an aftermarket guage if you don't trust the one you got.

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 07:04 PM
Oil lights would run on a switch. This means the switch is either on or off. A guage would run on a variable resistance type sender (several types).
SO..... If you have oil in your engine and the pump is turning (engine running) it will create flow, thus lubricating your engine.
Restrictions within the engine create pressure and the light will turn off once activated by the set pressure setting.
If there is no oil in your sump (or all the oil suddenly escapes when you're driving) the pump will spin free and flow will stop along with pressure. Also your engine gets no lube.
Once the pressure drops, the switch will activate and the light turns on.
I'll almost guarantee the light will go on at near on full noise, climbing a sand dune, or when under heaps of load. Or you will not see the light until it's too late.
Then pistons come out, crankshafts come apart and all things = $$$$
If the light is on, there is no (very little) pressure.

Get an aftermarket guage if you don't trust the one you got.

ok im sold on the gauge where do you think the best place to get one would be ?

Lieney
22nd October 2012, 07:18 PM
Autobarn, Supercheap, performance shops etc etc.

I'd Google oil pressure guage for sale or similar and see what you come up with.
You'll prob get what you pay for.
Simple set-up a DIY could do

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 07:27 PM
ok thanks il see how i go

Wine_maker
23rd October 2012, 03:40 PM
What kind of oil do you use?
If it is fully synthetics may be it is too leaky and has low viscosity coefficient.
May be it will be better for old engine to use full mineral oil with high viscosity. Or you can try to add to the oil the Diesel Doctor or etc fluid that increase the viscosity and observe the results.

Wine_maker
23rd October 2012, 03:47 PM
If it is not sensor fail, it is the first sign that the rebuild is required soon.

oilpond
23rd October 2012, 05:14 PM
Changed my filters and oil the other day with some 20/50 and now sits on half:)

Lieney
23rd October 2012, 07:13 PM
Wine_maker. Good point with oil viscosities.
Thicker oil will create a larger pressure reading. This can help slow internal leakage past pump and components etc
Multi grade oil 20/50 might be the answer. However, as said, if thicker oil solves the guage issue, it doesn't solve the fact that your engine is worn
I use synthetic as the characteristics are superior to mineral IMO. 15W40 fully synthetic.
Cars done 180k and no dramas so far

Wine_maker
24th October 2012, 03:03 AM
Also thick oil stays longer on the surfaces of engine components and with low oil pumping it is better than the thin oil. Thin oil leaks down fast and the friction killing not lubricated components of engine.
IMHO

JonnoD
31st October 2012, 10:55 AM
While the gague sounds like its faulty, it does sound like your oil pump is not 100% as 6 sec after start up is a bit long in my book. Get an after market gague on it to confirm though