PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy start up!

zmaster
21st October 2012, 08:45 PM
Old girl has been getting harder to start . Its a TB42 efi and gas, on start up, very slow to fire and then starts at about 300rpm and slowly works its way up to a750rpm. Thought it might be dodgy temp sender so connected ECU talk, tells me temp sensor working as should, starts at 20C and works its way up to 79C, idle was high so wound it down using idle screw in back of manifold, however dodgy start up existed even at high idle. Efi engines usually fire up instantly, not cranking for 5 seconds, so this is not normal. Thought it might be dirty injectors but does it worse on lpg.
My questions are: anyone have this problem in the past and any solutions, probably toooo varied, with all the potential sensor issues, to discuss on one forum, and secondly, the ECUTalk readout of the sensors, any ideas what they should be at idle?

johno90
21st October 2012, 08:51 PM
timing, plugs, coil should all be checked :)

Morton
21st October 2012, 09:40 PM
determine if it has decent spark first, if so then it is a fuelling issue

zmaster
22nd October 2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks for responses, has good spark, fuel pressure just under 300 at idle. Will check each sensor manually tomorrow, ECUtalk tells me all good with fuel, timing, O2 etc. Not sure what injector % should read, but reading about 3% at idle, temp is spot on, assuming ecu sees the same readings!! O2 sensor reading lean at 0.1 to 0.15 at idle. I'll spend about a thousand hours diagnosing and then take to efi mechanic! LOL.