PDA

View Full Version : First real beach run.

mudnut
20th October 2012, 05:12 PM
Had a fun day of surf sand and sun. The Trol had a small swim and a heap of sea spray. Is there any particular nooks or crannies in the chassis or body which are prone to water sitting, that are hard to get to with a hose?

rusty_nail
20th October 2012, 05:14 PM
Did ya get any pics mate? I would just pay special attention to the chassis rails, firewall and of all places, behind the rear bumper, mine always fills up with sand after beach 4bing.

Tappin

mudnut
20th October 2012, 05:19 PM
Did ya get any pics mate? I would just pay special attention to the chassis rails, firewall and of all places, behind the rear bumper, mine always fills up with sand after beach 4bing.

Tappin

No pictures, sorry. Was way too busy winding the Rb30 up to five grand on the taco! x-D

threedogs
20th October 2012, 06:31 PM
without pics mates you could have dragged the Mars Rover, Pics, mate, not hear say LOL

megatexture
20th October 2012, 08:42 PM
Good thorough wash and give it all a spray with lanotec after and she will be fine

threedogs
20th October 2012, 10:53 PM
X 2 on that Lanotec I love it. Use it on anything furniture, metal, even battery terminals allowing to dry first.
Highly recommend Lanotec thats for sure

nissannewby
20th October 2012, 11:39 PM
Push the hose as far into the chassis rails as you can and give them a good flush. It also wouldnt hurt to remove your inner guards and give it a good clean out behind them. Dirt and gunk builds up well at the bottom of the guard just in front of the doors. Cant comment on wagons as I have only ever owned utes :p

macca86
20th October 2012, 11:45 PM
If water restrictions allow a cheap button metal sprinkler is your best friend for beach work. High pressure first clean sand and dirt the put the sprinkler under and soak for 10 mins then place further down the truck for another 10 mins dissolves and flushes the salt then fish oil or lanotec just stay away from kiwis after it

BigRAWesty
20th October 2012, 11:47 PM
After beach runs I set up the soaker hose under it for a solid couple of hours, moving across the body every half hour to ensure every bit has flushed with clean water

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mudnut
21st October 2012, 02:58 PM
without pics mates you could have dragged the Mars Rover, Pics, mate, not hear say LOL

I don't think the Trol is set up for inter-planetary exploration, but I was quite impressed by the torque that the little 6 banger produced in the soft sand. The gearing between 2nd and 3rd could be a little closer, because it was either flat out or lugging, but we never even felt as if we were gunna get stuck.

healy
21st October 2012, 03:05 PM
What beaches can you drive on in Vic?

mudnut
21st October 2012, 03:25 PM
Nah, mate. We commuted to S.A for the day. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please, (because I would like to know): Apart from the Mallee, the only real sand driving I'm aware of in West Vic is at a place called Swan Lake, near Mount Richmond. There is a designated sand track for the general public to get to the beach. You're not allowed to put a vehicle on the beach itself, but there is a local dune buggy club which you can join, so you can muck around in the dunes.

BigRAWesty
21st October 2012, 03:29 PM
Were in SW Vic r u to? I'm Se SA. You probably drove past my door... Lol

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

mudnut
21st October 2012, 03:35 PM
Near the Heywood-Portland area.

chrisandthebeast
22nd October 2012, 07:50 PM
thats why we are lucky in wa so many beaches to drive

megatexture
22nd October 2012, 08:12 PM
Push the hose as far into the chassis rails as you can and give them a good flush. It also wouldnt hurt to remove your inner guards and give it a good clean out behind them. Dirt and gunk builds up well at the bottom of the guard just in front of the doors. Cant comment on wagons as I have only ever owned utes :p

x2 definitely flush out this area mine had an inch (good handful) of sand in it from one trip on the beach don’t get it now as i don’t have standard flaps anymore.

mudnut
23rd October 2012, 09:44 AM
x2 definitely flush out this area mine had an inch (good handful) of sand in it from one trip on the beach don’t get it now as i don’t have standard flaps anymore.
To save a bit of cash, I went to my local conveyer belt repairer. I got hold of some suitable flat reinforced rubber and cut out some large mud flaps. I used stainless screws and a bit of thick poly pipe to fashion a bracket for the inner rear flaps. They seem to be okay, so far.

rusty_nail
23rd October 2012, 02:17 PM

correct me if im wrong but wouldnt doing tis be a bad idea as the diff breathers rum into these rails?