PDA

View Full Version : A Little Advice

Dinger
20th October 2012, 10:49 AM
Can anyone help
I am replacing the swivel hub a seals and wheel bearings
I have stripped down the swivel and the knuckle no dramas
I am having trouble getting the bearing races out and the inner axle seal.
What is the best way to do this.
Thanks
Dinger

my third 256
20th October 2012, 11:39 AM
have a look on utube some great vidios on this topic
or go the search box top right and type in what you are after
here is a link to get you started you need to read it all and pictures about the 5th thread
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2067-How-do-i-change-a-gu-cv&highlight=wheel+bearings

Dinger
20th October 2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks
I have had a good read of that thread
I will check out you tube
Thanks again

Morton
20th October 2012, 10:39 PM
are you yalking about the bearing caps to the wheel bearings or the swivel hubs? wheel bearings are easy, screw driver & a hammer, swivel hubs nor so easy unless you remove the entire hub, again screwdriver & hammer, as for the axil seal I used a small (300mm) pinch bar & got the hook in there, dont allow it to fit the internal face at all, it will scour it & can cause a future leak, always replace the seal with genuine, if still leaking add a smear of silicone to the outa perimeter of the seal or in the housing, when fitting the LHS axil back in, gently run ur hand along the shaft & sand/file back any burrs or bumps, if you dont the burr will cut the rubber going back in, now its knackered, support the entire shaft & fit it in very slowly trying not to allow it to rub the seal or allow the seal to take any weight, smear the axil shaft with some diff oil so it is slightly lubbed, this helps it to slid in easier with out any abrasion, this should see you out of trouble

Dinger
20th October 2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the help guys.
All worked a treat.
Have got the right 90% back together I can not get the locking hub gears in enough to get the circlip on. It was not on when I took the hub off.
I was thinking that I might have used too much grease but that doesn't seem to be the problem. It is also very tight when I try to rotate it.

choochie
20th October 2012, 11:43 PM
Did mine today. Didn't go genuine inner axle seal - see how it goes.

Regarding the circlip, make sure the outer ring in front of the hub but is seated all the way. After fitting the inner locking hub, put some multigrips on the axle and pull it out all the way (should come out 5-10mm.

Dinger
21st October 2012, 09:16 PM
To all thanks for the assistance
Long job shouldn't have. Take as long as it did but swivel hub seal and wheel bearings changed.
Just did 25 Ks and no unusual noises