PDA

View Full Version : Turbo whistle

bigmarkc
18th October 2012, 10:29 AM
I have a yr 2000 GU with a ZD30 DI which has developed a whistle from the turbo.More noticeable when cold and seems to only have a slight whistle when warmed up.Doesn't seem to affect power though.I wonder if a scan for fault code would show any problems ?
Mark.

threedogs
18th October 2012, 10:35 AM
Mines doing the same thing, not over concerned, You may like to disconnect
the battery for an hour,

bigmarkc
18th October 2012, 10:47 AM
I should say that its a loud whistle which turn heads from pedestrians.

BearGUST
18th October 2012, 11:01 AM
Leak from somewhere? Possibly intercooler?

Bigrig
18th October 2012, 11:07 AM
The turbo should or shouldn't have the whistle as it were ... if it "develops" a whistle, I'd suggest it's the manifold leaking, or the bush in the turbo (if not a bearing type). Nothing dramatic, but would be running a spanner over some things - I developed a louder than normal whistle on mine (which I didn't mind actually!! lol), but it turned out to be the back two bolts of the manifold being loose ...

Ben-e-boy
18th October 2012, 11:13 AM
yep you may have developed a boost leak, check your pipes, intercooler (especially) and manifold

AB
18th October 2012, 11:23 AM
I have a yr 2000 GU with a ZD30 DI which has developed a whistle from the turbo.More noticeable when cold and seems to only have a slight whistle when warmed up.Doesn't seem to affect power though.I wonder if a scan for fault code would show any problems ?
Mark.

My work car is the exact year as yours and exact problem. Ended up being the intercooler the first time and now its come back again.

Havent had a chance yet but I'll check mine this weekend. Stops after warming up but more noticeable when cold too.

bigmarkc
18th October 2012, 11:29 AM
Will check...Thanks

nissannewby
18th October 2012, 06:00 PM
Being that its more noticeable when cold says to me its an exhaust leak. As the engine warms up everything expands which will close up the gap making it less noticeable once warm. Im with everyone else have a good look for an exhaust or boost leak somewhere.

megatexture
18th October 2012, 06:05 PM
yea id look at the exhaust manifold mine did the same thing and had to machine it, mind you this was before its 20k service and was done under warranty but check it out id put $ on that

Steve200b
20th October 2012, 05:03 PM
+1 on exhaust manifold.

bigmarkc
23rd October 2012, 01:12 PM
Problem has been diagnosed and it is a crack in the egr pipe where it joins to the flange.Thanks for replies.

Robo
23rd October 2012, 02:38 PM
Thats a nice fix as opposed to intercooler or similar.

bigmarkc
2nd November 2012, 10:20 PM
Thought I'd let everyone know that upon further investigation it turns out that it was actually the exhaust manifold gasket which caused the whistle.Fitted new egr pipe anyway.Mechanic inspected turbo and was happy that it is in top nick.Looking forward to Plenty Hwy and Great central to Perth next year.

BearGUST
3rd November 2012, 06:52 AM
Good to know as a reference.
Enjoy!

Sir Roofy
3rd November 2012, 07:19 AM
Mine did the same not long ago little sound big job

megatexture
3rd November 2012, 10:26 AM
Yea mine warped and need machining the whistle is so annoying