PDA

View Full Version : Stabiliser release unit gq

oilpond
18th October 2012, 10:27 AM
Changing the sway bar links on a 91 gq and at the rear drivers side is a unit called the rear stabiliser release i believe? I have never touched one of these before? and started to remove the four bolts to inspect it and busted a bolt straight up #$%&! So i stopped for the day to think?(drink) I have purchased four sway bar links and figured if i remove this unit a sway bar link must just screw in and out but am at a loss and not sure how to proceed as the manual seems useless and realy would appreciate any advice! Allso purchased some rear sway bar D rubbers of the net and they seem loose,i called the rep and he said they are tapered and i must have them back to front but have never had this problem,they are just rubber not nylothene...

oilpond
18th October 2012, 10:54 AM
I cant seem to access google on any of my devices to search the forum today?:(

Bigrig
18th October 2012, 11:01 AM
Hey mate

I removed mine ages ago so the memory is sketchy, however, I think the new links slot straight into the bracket that's there - I cut the cable on the unit sort of rendering it worthless (so I thought, apparently can be pulled apart and new cable put in).

You'll need to remove the complete unit to get the new links on ... I don't have the same links on now, but I'll get some snaps of mine later today and post up ...

oilpond
18th October 2012, 12:58 PM
Solid Bigrig!
I Dont have any money atm and got to that thing and sunk abit:( cause the manual i have only talks about replacement(eeek)

oilpond
18th October 2012, 10:51 PM
Cmon guys i need change this thing pronto.

Clunk
18th October 2012, 10:57 PM
Never done them, so can't help ya.... Sorry.

Just hang tight and with any luck some one in the know will be able to sort you out......... Maybe bigrig will remember to get those pics

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....

oilpond
19th October 2012, 08:56 PM
Stripped it down today and am thinkin a cut and weld will be alot cheaper? Anyone know the price or or the website to hunt this link?

oilpond
22nd October 2012, 09:01 PM
Couldnt find a tie rod for the sway bar release and the guy at nissan was scratching his head and as soon as he started talkin over a grand to replace the whole unit i just zoned out and payed a guy thirty bux to cut and weld a new tie rod onto the longer release one but he didnt listen and chopped it half way up:( so i got it to fit(just) but now it will not release and the light stays on(snip snip) not happy:(... It seems to work but for how long and how come these things are so hard to find?