PDA

View Full Version : Automatic versus Manual

JDP
16th October 2012, 10:24 PM
Hello my name is JD
I currently own a manual 3 litre diesel Patrol which i am very happy with. I am going to buy another(new model) one and I am not sure to go manual or auto.
I am a caravaner with not a huge caravan and I do go to fisihing spots in 4WD.
My belief is that a manual gearbox is stronger than an auto transmisson and i am hesitant to go auto even though my mates think that auto is better.
Any advice would be appreciated as I have to make up my mind real quick.
Thank you.

Airstrike
16th October 2012, 10:47 PM
Go auto. That way you can drink and drive. Maybe eat some maccas

Bigrig
16th October 2012, 10:52 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard - great people, information and laughs to be found on here, so join in to make the most of it!!!

Ignore air strike - dropped on his head as a kid!!!! lmao. But seriously auto is the way to go ...

Enjoy!!

Airstrike
16th October 2012, 10:52 PM
I like looking at your skin.... Just saying

JDP
16th October 2012, 11:07 PM
Ta for the reply. Can you give some reasons as to why auto is the way to go?

Airstrike
16th October 2012, 11:09 PM
Welcome aboard the forum too.... I put lotion on my skin :)

Bigrig
16th October 2012, 11:12 PM
Mate, the auto boxes are pretty strong in the patrols also, and quite simply put, after having had 6 manual fourbies (and all manual cars), I wouldn't trade the auto for anything - easy to drive, fantastic off road with not having to ride a clutch for even the most basic of climbs etc, and on the beach it's simply unbeatable in soft stuff (same applies for mud where momentum and no loss of power is required between gear changes).

There's a few other threads on this also mate if you use the search function.

Good luck with the decision either way.

the evil twin
16th October 2012, 11:33 PM
Hello my name is JD
I currently own a manual 3 litre diesel Patrol which i am very happy with. I am going to buy another(new model) one and I am not sure to go manual or auto.
I am a caravaner with not a huge caravan and I do go to fisihing spots in 4WD.
My belief is that a manual gearbox is stronger than an auto transmisson and i am hesitant to go auto even though my mates think that auto is better.
Any advice would be appreciated as I have to make up my mind real quick.
Thank you.

X2 with the biggus riggus

My current ZD30 CRD is manual and there isn't a day goes by I don't wish that it was an auto... they are heaps better behind a ZD30 then a manual and will kill a manual off-road in 99% of terrain.

I have had two auto 4WD's in the family and all of my work 4WD vehicles 'cept one are auto.

Specifically for a Patrol... if the manuals are stronger (which I do not believe) then they are a total disaster with that stupid dual mass flywheel which are gob smackingly expensive to replace when, not if, they fail or the clutch wears out.

jack
17th October 2012, 01:38 AM
X3 with Bigrig. I had the same question about 5 months ago, went with the Auto and glad I did.
Cheer

growler2058
17th October 2012, 04:42 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice
I like my manual on a td42 though

Sent via my tapping thumbs

MEGOMONSTER
17th October 2012, 04:52 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Jack taps here...........

Maxhead
17th October 2012, 05:38 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Auto all the way. Superior in every situation.
I got rid of my auto for a manual for towing a pretty heavy van and after 15000 km trip an 19567438 gear changes I hate manuals ;)
Well not really but I do miss the auto.

I would go an auto if your van is under 2500kgs

threedogs
17th October 2012, 06:33 AM
No brainer for towing, its Auto all the way. only down side excuse the pun is engine breaking
down hills. Must admit bit boring to drive IMO, wont see me swap though, auto's rule

DX grunt
17th October 2012, 06:36 AM
Autos are for lazy people. lol

taslucas
17th October 2012, 06:36 AM
Gday mate, welcome aboard. Yep i specifically went for an auto when buying my GQ. Far better at offroad terrain. As said above, the cost to replace a clutch and dual mass flywheel in the manual is around the same price to rebuild an auto. For around $1000 extra you can add a Nomad heavy duty valvebody to an auto to make it a race-spec, bullet proof transmission. You can also fit a Torque converter lockup switch to manually overide the computer and keep it in a gear you want which is great for long hill climbs, or decending hills. Also you can get a auto temp gauge kit so you can keep an eye on the gearbox temperatures which is good if your towing or putting it under extra load.
Auto is unbeatable in the slippery stuff:)

Bob
17th October 2012, 08:01 AM
Only ever had Manuals in the Patrols and feel very comfortable Driving them no matter what the situation.
But that is a very biased opinion.
I drive an automatic in my Car

Winnie
17th October 2012, 08:12 AM
You'll never see me in an auto.

BearGUST
17th October 2012, 08:20 AM
My fourby's have been manual, auto (the type of 4WD was only available in auto but I'll won't say what brand it was...), manual.
My next will probably be an auto. With a turbo/auto you are constantly accelerating, instead of lifting off to change gears, which means you're always on boost - great for towing.

BigRAWesty
17th October 2012, 08:56 AM
Hi mate, welcome to the forum.
For the manual v auto debate I would go the manual.
My reasons are this. When 4x4'n the auto gearbox doesn't allow the engine to use its low down grunt, it drops back a little as revs.
Also the slipping factor. My father inlaw has just bought a 07 Prado auto, and while one a 3 week trip up north could get anything better than 16L/ 100k due to the converter slipping and not locking in due to the sand..
Now you can override. This but that voids warranties... Not sure if you wanna fork out $70,000 with no cover..

There are a couple of positives to an auto though.
When off roading, when you drop back a gear you still have drive to the wheels..
Also autos are a lot better to drive and easier on the drive around cities..

But I still love the manuals..

Cheers from Westy

Westy's Accessories.

growler2058
17th October 2012, 09:42 AM
Autos are for those with poor hand,eye,foot coordination ;-)

taslucas
17th October 2012, 09:54 AM
Autos are for those with poor hand,eye,foot coordination ;-)

Manuals are for those basic people that can't progress and use the same tired old methods and answers.
Hahaha Lmao

Tap, crackle, pop

Winnie
17th October 2012, 09:58 AM
We're tuffer than you just get over it please. I'm more "at one" with the vehicle lmao

healy
17th October 2012, 10:02 AM
Stay with the manual the gq has a weak auto box

Bigrig
17th October 2012, 10:17 AM
Stay with the manual the gq has a weak auto box

All I can say is 'stop yourself'! lol

My auto out of anyone with an auto on the forum has been absolutely cained ... tow a 1.6 tonne camper regularly (an was a tow vehicle before I bought it), flog the bejeezers out of it off road at least every 6 weeks on average, and use it as my daily driver ... I added a heavy duty valve body at around 270000klms, and currently sitting on 3120000 klms and my torque converter has finally given up the ghost and is being replaced - I have a manual lockup switch for it also and used it for engine compression off road before I got the transfer case reduction gears so would assume it would still be going strong also if I hadn't of hammered it.

To suggest a GQ auto isn't strong is akin to believing in unicorns - just ain't true!!

Change fluids regularly, keep it cool (oil cooler) and they will last just as long as a manual - without the need for costly clutch, flywheel etc replacement along the way ...

Rant complete!! lol

Bob
17th October 2012, 10:36 AM
All I can say is 'stop yourself'! lol

My auto out of anyone with an auto on the forum has been absolutely cained ... tow a 1.6 tonne camper regularly (an was a tow vehicle before I bought it), flog the bejeezers out of it off road at least every 6 weeks on average, and use it as my daily driver ... I added a heavy duty valve body at around 270000klms, and currently sitting on 3120000 klms and my torque converter has finally given up the ghost and is being replaced - I have a manual lockup switch for it also and used it for engine compression off road before I got the transfer case reduction gears so would assume it would still be going strong also if I hadn't of hammered it.

To suggest a GQ auto isn't strong is akin to believing in unicorns - just ain't true!!

Change fluids regularly, keep it cool (oil cooler) and they will last just as long as a manual - without the need for costly clutch, flywheel etc replacement along the way ...

Rant complete!! lol

I think this is like either barracking for Carlton or Collingwood or Holden versus Ford on the Mountain.
I love the perceived control of a Manual but not having driven an Auto 4WD that much I cannot really give a reasoned opinion.

All I know is that I love my Manual
and will always vote the ??????? Party LOL

taslucas
17th October 2012, 11:03 AM

Rant complete!! lol

Haha yep x2 with that Scotty.
I don't tow with mine but I give it high speed floggings on the gravel and mud. It loves it. Shifts like a sports car with the aftermarket valvebody. I can change gears exactly when/if I want to by knowing my car and knowing true throttle control:-). Oh and if I want I can change gears with the stick just like a sports sequential box.
I'll crawl up a slippery slope with ease:-)

growler2058
17th October 2012, 12:09 PM
Manuals are for those basic people that can't progress and use the same tired old methods and answers.
Hahaha Lmao

Tap, crackle, pop

If it ain't broke don't fix it!! ;-)

my third 256
17th October 2012, 02:50 PM
go the auto love it the wife cant drive manual so when get shit faced she can drive home lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
whos the stupid one now i enjoy myself and she drives me home
the next day that is another story in the sh!t soooo much dribble on the drive home

Jol
17th October 2012, 03:30 PM
I reckon auto if doing any towing or sand driving......I went manual but that's mainly for the hill descents ;)

Dhuck
17th October 2012, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Monty_e
17th October 2012, 10:29 PM
G'day and welcome.

I recently bought my first Patrol, a 03 GU, and was looking for a manual, on account of my perception that real 4x4s need a manual gearbox (plus learning on manual Rovers and Unimogs and never driving anything else off-road). I found the right car, but with an auto. I got it for a good price, so went the auto and LOVE it. Great car as a daily commute and a little sand and cross country.

Go the auto.

wildgu6
17th October 2012, 11:06 PM
G'day buddy, Welcome aboard.
Great bunch here with tons of advice, info, adventures and plenty of laughs to absorb.
Join in and soak it all up. You will meet some top people.
Love the manuals, more control, tmo

Enjoy, cheers Pete

Clunk
18th October 2012, 12:41 AM
PAH, more control with a manual my a**e hahahaha........... I used to think that years ago but not any more..... love my auto

xiyue077
18th October 2012, 10:30 AM
In Australia I believe the auto is a better way of life, though the manual could save a little bit of fuel.

2TROLLFAM
18th October 2012, 04:17 PM
Xcuse me for being tardy with my "Welcome Aboard" .... usually go through these threads when I'm at work (*ooopsie*) Soooooooooooooo
WELCOME to the best show on earth - well, nearly. It's a really friendly forum with so much information to be found - hope you enjoy :)

"Amelia" ~ Sharen & Brad