PDA

View Full Version : metal banging noise from sump

fishnsurf
16th October 2012, 07:52 PM
i metal banging noise is coming from the area of the sump i think closer to the back of sump (not so sure) when engine running either in neutral, park or drive it just started this afternoon and is very loud from under the patrol and whilst standing next to it, not so loud under bonnet, no warning lights, oil level ok, i run penrite SIN O 0w-50 full syn and have done for the last 4000ks, i let the patrol cool for couple of hours and noise still there on start up at idle... , 130000km any ideas would be great dont feel i should drive it as is

threedogs
16th October 2012, 08:20 PM
Have you dented sump or ran over/into anything recently

Yendor
16th October 2012, 08:31 PM
There have been a few reported cases of flex plates cracking.

fishnsurf
16th October 2012, 08:39 PM
no have not ran over any thing,sump in good order, sound only started this afternoon
Have you dented sump or ran over/into anything recently

threedogs
16th October 2012, 08:39 PM
Yendor is there a cover to possibly check this area??

fishnsurf
16th October 2012, 08:42 PM
whats a flex plate and would it cause a noise whilst in park its like a consistent knock knock knock with a bit of a rattle
There have been a few reported cases of flex plates cracking.

Yendor
16th October 2012, 08:57 PM
Sorry 3dogs I don't know.

He's a link on one that shattered.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?9788-Destroyed-Flex-Plate-Ring-Gear-on-GU-auto

This might not be your problem.

fishnsurf
16th October 2012, 09:09 PM
thx yendor i was just reading that thread ... any other ideas? its strange that the noise just started from nothing to quite loud

fishnsurf
16th October 2012, 09:12 PM
i have towed i trailer,boat or caravan nearly everyday of the 2005 patrols life this would prob put extra pressure on the flex plate i am guessing

nissannewby
16th October 2012, 11:01 PM
I have heard of the bolts failing too. Maybe one bolt has failed and is being bounced around in there.

fishnsurf
17th October 2012, 08:42 PM
Update .... Had 2 mech listen to patrol today both are unsure but between us dicided to check starter motor which was all good and then through an access port checked the bolts that hold the touque converter to the flex plate which all seem good so from here it was suggested to unbolt the touque converter start the motor and see if noise is still there confirming weather the problem is forward of the touque converter or not ...... The noise now is like if u put a bolt into a can and shake it hard then when motor turned off its like the bolt rattles to the bottom... Note i am not driving it just starting it in drive way..... If anyone has had similar problems would be great to here.. Thx (maybe a bolt has dropped out of converter its self)?

Yendor
17th October 2012, 09:05 PM
Have you tried hitting the exhaust system?, maybe it has something loose inside it.

MEGOMONSTER
17th October 2012, 09:12 PM
I had a tinging noise from under me and the shop that fitted the exhaust, when I took it back to him, couldn't find the noise, I told him the noise had to come from the muffler. Well I found the problem the exhaust came out of the rubber supports. Put it back in and secured it. Well what do you know, no noise. Proud of myself. Wohoooo

Jack taps here...........

fishnsurf
17th October 2012, 10:58 PM
Thx ...Exhaust all good Noise deffinately from the rear of the sump ... I have been under patrol whilst it is running with mech

nissannewby
17th October 2012, 11:04 PM
Sounds like its time to take the sump off and have a good look.

timbar
17th October 2012, 11:53 PM
Could be a journal nut off a con rod floating around ????

timbar
17th October 2012, 11:54 PM
Sounds like its time to take the sump off and have a good look.

?? would be my next move ??

Robo
18th October 2012, 04:26 AM
Ummm what about finding 1 of those inspection cameras that would fit through the oil drain plug and have a look see

Possible loose sump baffel ?.

fishnsurf
18th October 2012, 05:29 AM
Thx for replies will pop sump off today and have a look around... I did drop oil yesterday into container with a Maganet in it and found no metal shavings

kiwijase
18th October 2012, 07:41 AM
yep,id whip it off real quick,id say its a bearing cap nut at a guess,i hope not for your sake.Do reply with your findings mate.

Yendor
18th October 2012, 09:10 AM
Here's hoping it's something simple, let us know what you find.

Good luck with it.

ripper
18th October 2012, 10:35 AM
Thx for replies will pop sump off today and have a look around... I did drop oil yesterday into container with a Maganet in it and found no metal shavings
The lack of metal sounds like a good sign.

Any chance of a photo of your trans temp sender while you're under there.
As per this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?9725-Automatic-Temperture-Sender&

fishnsurf
19th October 2012, 10:14 PM
Well it ended up being a loose bolt in the transmission have not been givin exact details yet just pics its one of a few that holds the touque convertor in place I pretty sure .. It worked its way out and was banging as it spun ...

fishnsurf
19th October 2012, 10:18 PM
The lack of metal sounds like a good sign.

Any chance of a photo of your trans temp sender while you're under there.
As per this thread http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?9725-Automatic-Temperture-Sender& sender is an after market product from wholesale automatic transmissions in Vic they drill a bolt put and install sensor inside and a srew for wire they sell it with a temp gauge ....

ripper
19th October 2012, 10:32 PM
Well it ended up being a loose bolt in the transmission have not been givin exact details yet just pics its one of a few that holds the touque convertor in place I pretty sure .. It worked its way out and was banging as it spun ...

Sounds like one of the drive plate bolts. Hopefully it hasn't done any damage to the torque converter or the back of the engine block.

sender is an after market product from wholesale automatic transmissions in Vic they drill a bolt put and install sensor inside and a srew for wire they sell it with a temp gauge ....

Thanks. So the bolt they drill is the banjo bolt?

I want to use a micro processor and LCD screen to display the temp, I just need to see how/where they mount the sender unit.

kiwijase
20th October 2012, 07:18 AM
good to hear it was a minor prob

Robo
20th October 2012, 09:10 AM
No real damage done?
Use a little locktite and replace the bolt?.

threedogs
20th October 2012, 09:14 AM
Got to be happy with that, X2 with above remove all and re do the lot with locktite.

fishnsurf
23rd October 2012, 07:42 PM
it was a transmission out flex plate off then there were 4 10mm bolts holding like a cover plate or something on ... but yeah all bolts replaced with lock tite cost $741 includes a rear seal kit..... but as always i seem to be a bit disappointed with people not putting things back as they found them and checking there job before receiving the cash ............. they missed 1 bolt to hold a pipe in place there was 1 metal tube that they forgot to reconnect back to a rubber hose and the in and out fitting for the trans fluid are both leaking obviously they used the same copper washers... what do u do

threedogs
23rd October 2012, 07:48 PM
You take it back and politely explain what they have missed but were prepared to take your money.
this may be the case of the young fella doing the job and the so called Master {loose term} not checking the work correctly
SHITE tell them your nor happy, as you're not happy are you??

lorrieandjas
23rd October 2012, 11:14 PM
Nothing more annoying than spending good coin on a repair, only to have to repair the repair! It's a shame you hear it so often....

the ferret
23rd October 2012, 11:26 PM
Hook it back and stand there while they fix it!!
Nothing wrong with the dollars you gave them so there should be nothing wrong with the job, end of story.
Cheers, the ferret.

Robo
3rd November 2012, 11:52 AM
1/2 a job done.
Full payment.
Potential damage done as a result.
I'm with Ferret, they fix it at their cost this time.
And the standing there is not such a bad idea.
Some people need supervision.
To simply guilt em into doing the right thing.

my third 256
4th November 2012, 05:51 AM
yer get the apprentice to do the job and charge for a fully qualified person to do the job
take it back or consumer affairs