PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent rear lights and dash light - thoughts

JimmyBubbles
15th October 2012, 07:22 PM
Hi All,

I have a problem with my lights on a 2006 GU DX Patrol. When ever I put my headlights on - if my dash back light does not come on, my tail lights will also not come on. The problem is intermittent and the 2 always fail together. All other lights are fine. Any thoughts?

threedogs
15th October 2012, 07:23 PM
Earth, earth, earth check them all ,squirt stalk switch

JimmyBubbles
15th October 2012, 07:52 PM
Cheers Threedogs - thanks for the quick response.

threedogs
15th October 2012, 08:11 PM
Seems lots of issues arise from bad earths{GU} and there are a few, but sounds like connection in stalk. might be able to wiggle it to confirm

the evil twin
15th October 2012, 08:31 PM
Hi All,

I have a problem with my lights on a 2006 GU DX Patrol. When ever I put my headlights on - if my dash back light does not come on, my tail lights will also not come on. The problem is intermittent and the 2 always fail together. All other lights are fine. Any thoughts?

I doubt it's an earth as there are a few involved in that circuit... EG a faulty earth at a tail light won't affect the dash... but could be multiple faults I spose.

Most likely culprit is the stalk switch. If the dash lights etc work on the 'parker' selection and then drop out with the head lights it will be the stalk for 99% certain but won't hurt to check fuse holder for corrosion etc.

JimmyBubbles
16th October 2012, 09:41 PM
The evil twin - As a pom I'm assuming 'Parker' light is 'side lights' the little white light next to the indicator on the bull bar. If so I've found they don't work either when the others fail. sometimes wiggling the light stalk works - other times just comes on on its own (it's an ex Telstra vehicle so it's headlights come on automatically).

Yendor
16th October 2012, 10:12 PM
It's more then likely a problem with the auto lights on unit that was fitted for Telstra.

It's common for these units to fail.

I think the unit is mounted near the battery (hopefully another ex-telstra ute owner can confirm this).

I would just remove it.

the evil twin
17th October 2012, 12:10 AM
The evil twin - As a pom I'm assuming 'Parker' light is 'side lights' the little white light next to the indicator on the bull bar. If so I've found they don't work either when the others fail. sometimes wiggling the light stalk works - other times just comes on on its own (it's an ex Telstra vehicle so it's headlights come on automatically).

Aaaahhhh, ex Telstra truck eh. Didn't know that...

Yendor is correct, those auto light units suck. I'd get rid of that first and see if it cures your problem.