PDA

View Full Version : Power steering fluid smells 'burnt'

P4trol
14th October 2012, 09:43 PM
Been trying to figure out a sound I can hear while driving. Other people can't pick it, but I swear it is fairly recognisable. Sometimes while idling, usually coming to a stop with clutch in. Doesn't matter if moving or not.

It has the frequency of a loose belt, with a bottle of a low squeak, but have done the belt grip thing and it's still the same.

Tonight I thought I would check power steering levels (all good), but the fluid smells 'burnt'. Not like the normal oily smell. Coincidence?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/57.jpg

That's it, the browny patch. I swear it's power steering fluid!

What common problems may be irking?

2.8 GU

Tipsy-tap

threedogs
14th October 2012, 09:51 PM
LMFAO sooooo many answers to that one, Fluid hasn't spilt somehow on the belt to give the burning smell??
Power steering fluid Yeah right lol

P4trol
14th October 2012, 09:54 PM
It's straight from the dip stick to the rag, that's where I smelt it.

Tipsy-tap

nissannewby
14th October 2012, 10:48 PM
Belts could be worn mate causing noise they go hard from under bonnet temps easy cheap fix. As for your power steering fluid it just looks old hence the burnt smell, give her a good flush and throw in some fresh oil and away you go.

P4trol
15th October 2012, 07:41 AM
Cool... I feared the worst.

Will give it a go.

Tipsy-tap

choppie
15th October 2012, 05:49 PM
You may need to check if your steering is central, if it is not the steering pump will be working all the time and that will burn the oil.
Easy check while driving on straight level road let the steering wheel go and if it dives left or right, you need a wheel alignment.