PDA

View Full Version : New National Code for Vehicle mods starts in Queensland 1st November.

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
14th October 2012, 09:50 AM
Yes it is finally here in Queensland as of the 1st November.

Details as yet have not been released, but there are changes, most I hope for the better.

Engine Replacements:- was LA1 before, now LA1, LA2, LA3 & LA4 this will cover multi types of engine swaps, but I have been told that anything over a 5.8lt into a full size 4WD will still need written approval from Transport before it can legally be signed off.

Roll Cages:- was LH8 but now there are several Codes to comply with on this one.

I will not know what the changes are until the 1st as nothing has been released.

My Approval Codes have been changed and I can use the new Codes after the 1st November. But still waiting on all the new changes to be released.

If work has been commenced under the old codes/rules can still be used upto the 30th April 2013.

Cheers
David Metcalfe
Approved Person 2868

megatexture
14th October 2012, 10:04 AM
This can't be good looking forward to getting an update once you receive it cheers mate

04OFF
14th October 2012, 10:14 AM
It could be a good thing, we may be able to run 33s legally ?

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
14th October 2012, 10:38 AM
This can't be good looking forward to getting an update once you receive it cheers mate

You will find it will be better for the general 4wd person.

From what I have seen & talked about with some transport officers in the know, it should make it clearer to everyone.

The best part is we will not be working with rules that have been more then 20 years old.

This is not the end of the world but a start of a new one. I hope.

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
14th October 2012, 10:41 AM
It could be a good thing, we may be able to run 33s legally ?

Yes I think that will now be a go. The info I have tyres size was to increase 50mm over standard as per your vehicles tyre placard.

Should know more in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers
David

megatexture
14th October 2012, 12:30 PM
Oo if 33s become legal ill be doing my diff ratios fingers x

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
14th October 2012, 03:08 PM
Oo if 33s become legal ill be doing my diff ratios fingers x

I doubt that they will say 33", but will say 50mm larger then what the vehicle manufacturer states on the tyre placard.

Will let you know as soon as I know what is going to happen.

Cheers
David

choppie
15th October 2012, 04:48 PM
Great work David

NissanGQ4.2
15th October 2012, 06:22 PM
Just out of curiosity David are you an qualified engineer or just a certifier???

And yes its good that they now won't be working with rules that arn't 20 years old, but this doesn't mean they know what they are talking about and the new rules will be any good.

Yes all mods should be engineered / certified, and it should be a national code, but there is no proof that a 4b with a 10inch lift with all the mods under the sun is no safer then a 10 year old sh!t box that is still legally road worthy.

The new changes are a load of crap and it still only comes down to who is pushing for 4b's to be restricted and that the pedestrian safety committee. Who really should have nothing 2 do with it.

Just my thought on the matter

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
16th October 2012, 07:10 AM
Just out of curiosity David are you an qualified engineer or just a certifier???

And yes its good that they now won't be working with rules that arn't 20 years old, but this doesn't mean they know what they are talking about and the new rules will be any good.

Yes all mods should be engineered / certified, and it should be a national code, but there is no proof that a 4b with a 10inch lift with all the mods under the sun is no safer then a 10 year old sh!t box that is still legally road worthy.

The new changes are a load of crap and it still only comes down to who is pushing for 4b's to be restricted and that the pedestrian safety committee. Who really should have nothing 2 do with it.

Just my thought on the matter

No I am an approved Diesel Fitter, motor mechanic & now am also Certified in Truck, Coach, Trailer Body Building as well as an "Approved Person" under Queensland Transport. (I don't think NSW has them).

I think I would rather be in the old shit box that is road legal than in a 4wd with a 10" lift.

I have seen vehicles come out of all states including Qld with a piece of paper from an engineer saying that they comply and are safe to use on the roads, that should not even be there, let alone used on the roads.

But at least in Queensland, Transport have the final say, not just go by a piece of paper. Here, you can get your vehicle fitted with a "Blue Mod Plate" and drive it down the road, then be pulled over by Transport and upon further inspection have found it Coded incorrectly. Off the road.

I see it all the time, people putting in a 6lt, 6.5 or 6.6 and having an Blue Plate fitted with the LA1 Code done by an Engineer. You ask the question if they had any trouble getting it passed. Answer is no, Engineer was happy with it. Then you ask how long it took to get their Approval letter from Transport. What letter, the Engineer said it was ok, WRONG, in Queensland you must seek Approval first for any engine swaps over 5.8lt (350ci) into a full size 4wd.

I have competed, still run events and have toured around a lot of Australia, but I do not believe that we should be running around on the road with tyres larger then 35" and suspension lift of more then 4" fitted with full hydo steer and coilovers. After all we are talking about road use.

I think the new National Code will be clearer and for us here in Queensland have gained some, where as the other states will be a bit more restricted then what you have been used too.

But we will not know until it has been released.

Cheers
David

04OFF
16th October 2012, 08:44 AM
But at least in Queensland, Transport have the final say, not just go by a piece of paper. Here, you can get your vehicle fitted with a "Blue Mod Plate" and drive it down the road, then be pulled over by Transport and upon further inspection have found it Coded incorrectly. Off the road.

I have come across this, it kinda sucks in a way, as they hold the "owner" of the car liable for the mods on the vehicle, yet if you ring QT (Queensland Transport) "before" doing the mods, they don't help you much, just point you in the direction of a place that does blue plates.

So finding out the info yourself is difficult, the people who make the rules (QT) wont explain them to you, so you have to place all your trust in a engineer licenced by QT, but then QT wont stand by his/her decisions/interpritations of the rules if they don't agree, and the owner is still left holding the responsibility to fix it.

Clearer rules , firmer or not, are going to be better for everyone !

So would it be a safe bet to be ordering my 33s yet David ? ;)

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
16th October 2012, 10:56 AM
I have come across this, it kinda sucks in a way, as they hold the "owner" of the car liable for the mods on the vehicle, yet if you ring QT (Queensland Transport) "before" doing the mods, they don't help you much, just point you in the direction of a place that does blue plates.

So finding out the info yourself is difficult, the people who make the rules (QT) wont explain them to you, so you have to place all your trust in a engineer licenced by QT, but then QT wont stand by his/her decisions/interpritations of the rules if they don't agree, and the owner is still left holding the responsibility to fix it.

Clearer rules , firmer or not, are going to be better for everyone !

So would it be a safe bet to be ordering my 33s yet David ? ;)

Just wait a few more days :) :) :)

Cheers
David

Forced Offroad
16th October 2012, 10:22 PM
If your unsure on David on this forum, he has been in the 4x4 scene for many years and is the pioneer of the winch truck comps here in Qld. So when it come to a 4x4 he know's a few things....
So much appreciated MMM for post this update on this forum.

Kind of glade though that I did put in the 5tl v8 and nothing bigger.

Xtreme 4x4 Sport
17th October 2012, 07:50 AM
If your unsure on David on this forum, he has been in the 4x4 scene for many years and is the pioneer of the winch truck comps here in Qld. So when it come to a 4x4 he know's a few things....
So much appreciated MMM for post this update on this forum.

Kind of glade though that I did put in the 5tl v8 and nothing bigger.

Thanks for the kind words.

I am just giving my opinion, if in doubt give the people that have the final say - Transport, a call and ask them (07-3114 5844). I would hate to lead anyone down "The Garden Path".

Cheers
David

Forced Offroad
17th October 2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the kind words.

I am just giving my opinion, if in doubt give the people that have the final say - Transport, a call and ask them (07-3114 5844). I would hate to lead anyone down "The Garden Path".

Cheers
David

You were leading me down the path of bankruptcy as my patrol was getting built for your comps. But giggle pin and what the lads and grils are doing to there trucks would have sent me broke. Plus watching them with rum in hand is just as fun and cheaper.

Cheers j

macca
17th October 2012, 12:48 PM
It will be great to have a level you can maintain without any issues, clearly stated and eventually across the country.

Then if you want to explore beyond the limits of the code then do it properly and have it engineered.

NissanGQ4.2
17th October 2012, 05:41 PM
No I am an approved Diesel Fitter, motor mechanic & now am also Certified in Truck, Coach, Trailer Body Building as well as an "Approved Person" under Queensland Transport. (I don't think NSW has them).

Yes NSW now users Certifiers not engineers, hence why I asked which one you where....I thought I had read on one of your previous threads that you were a certifier but was just checking in QLD had changed yet.

I think I would rather be in the old shit box that is road legal than in a 4wd with a 10" lift.

Sorry I worded that wrong, I was referring to a 10 year old sh!t box that is road legal due to a roadworthy that should not of been issued, ok maybe a 10 inch lift was a little over the top in my example, but I know I would prefer 2 be in my unroadworthy 4wd due to lift that an unroadworthy car.

I have seen vehicles come out of all states including Qld with a piece of paper from an engineer saying that they comply and are safe to use on the roads, that should not even be there, let alone used on the roads.

No offence to you mate, as I'm sure you do a top job, but I'm sure all engineers use to comply to the rules and regs once upon a time. And I'm sure the same thing will happen with some certifiers giving time.

I dare say this happens in all states, I know in NSW the Roads and Maritime Services ( RTA ) have cars driving around that will pull you over and will defect the vehicle on the spot if they don't agree with your certificate of compliance. But in NSW our RTA and police tend to leave four wheel drivers alone unless they are obvious targets.

I see it all the time, people putting in a 6lt, 6.5 or 6.6 and having an Blue Plate fitted with the LA1 Code done by an Engineer. You ask the question if they had any trouble getting it passed. Answer is no, Engineer was happy with it. Then you ask how long it took to get their Approval letter from Transport. What letter, the Engineer said it was ok, WRONG, in Queensland you must seek Approval first for any engine swaps over 5.8lt (350ci) into a full size 4wd.

I have never had the need to look up NSW regulations on motor conversions and if they need an approval letter from the RTA, but this comes down to the person that is doing the conversion not getting the information first, anyone doing any type of conversion should get the rules and regs from there appropriate road transport authority. If your transport authority can't give you the info your after, then you shouldn't get it done. Obviously engineers were not doing there job as they were passing vehicles without a letter from transport first, rules I assume they should know.

I have competed, still run events and have toured around a lot of Australia, but I do not believe that we should be running around on the road with tyres larger then 35" and suspension lift of more then 4" fitted with full hydo steer and coilovers. After all we are talking about road use. I sort of agree with you David, as i don't really see the need for anything over what you have stated but if someone wants to do it then why not it they can legally get it engineered / certified whatever one wants to call it. I believe there should be a conditional registration where one has to prove they need anything over that size and if they can they should be allowed.

I think the new National Code will be clearer and for us here in Queensland have gained some, where as the other states will be a bit more restricted then what you have been used too. The prove will be in the pudding as they say, I doubt anything the roads transport authority's release will be any clearer than what they have now, but at least it will be national so people won't get defected travelling from state to state ( something that should of never of happened in the first place! )

I am thankful that you have put the info up for others and I know you were only giving your opinion as am I.

Cheers

Todd

rochjas
18th October 2012, 01:30 PM
Totally agree David