PDA

View Full Version : Needle valve plumbing

paintah
13th October 2012, 09:48 AM
I'm about to install the needle valve and was wondering is there an in and out on these jiggers, It has A and B on it or is that just a brand????

threedogs
13th October 2012, 10:33 AM
No, in or out check, basically a flow control, search, search engine for Chaz Yellowfoot {guru} on fitting dawes and needle valve.
I for eg fitted my needle valve under the bonnet where as others have them in cab.
I'm yet to figure out how turning boost down will give you better economy WT???

paintah
13th October 2012, 10:49 AM
thanks threedogs, I'm with you on the turning down the boost thing, mine will only get to 5 psi at the moment and that means sticking the boot into it for just about any situation, still trying to work the whole system out, I think iv'e got the plumbing wrong,,, early days, "what comes first the dawes or the needle".

threedogs
13th October 2012, 11:04 AM
The Vacuum solenoid needs to be completely by passed so ECU is tricked by Dawes, Once you know where and what everything is its not that hard,
Set your boost around the 15psi mark. Take it you have gauges fitted already? Chazs' pic will have dawes and needle set op. easy to follow.
Just PM if stuck Might be able to pop over early in the week

paintah
13th October 2012, 11:52 AM
I'm going to supercrap now to get more vacuum hose and will plumb every thing via chaz's pictures, gauge was installed yesterday, I'll have crack at it this arvo and let you know.

threedogs
13th October 2012, 12:27 PM
I had a member give me a hand, but now I know whats called what and where it is and what it does, it
makes life easy, hard to stuff up, just remember if you cant get the boost up Dont stretch the spring but put small S/S washer in the dawes.
Thats if you want to

mudski
13th October 2012, 12:57 PM
That little air box next to the air filter box, can't remember what its called is where you run ONE line to the needle valve. The other fitting on the needle valve goes to the top of the dawes. See my badly photo chopped pic. Red arrow goes to needle valve...
You will see at that air box a valve setup with three vacuum hose connections. These need to be blocked off too.
So red arrow to needle valve and the other port on the needle valve to the little air box thingo'.
Didn't the pics you took of my setup show it clearly mate?

threedogs
13th October 2012, 01:06 PM
Me Mudski ???

mudski
13th October 2012, 01:08 PM
No to paintah. I went over to his place a while back and he took some pics of my setup.

threedogs
13th October 2012, 01:24 PM
Must have gone to SC Bendigo lol

paintah
13th October 2012, 03:18 PM
No, went to doncaster high, I'm lucky I can clap my hands two times in a row. Re did the hoses as per chaz's diagram and can now get 12 psi, I've got the needle valve wound in clockwise (off) ? and am not really sure what it does, also I will wind in the dawes ie make it shorter for more boost, is this right ?, any more advice would be good. Mudski the photos I took were not that clear but thanks for coming over, much appreciated.

mudski
13th October 2012, 04:56 PM
When you wind the needle valve in it make the turbo spool up faster at lower revs. And winding in the dawes giving more pressure on the ball and spring will create a higher boost as more pressure is needed to lift the ball off the seat. Just have a play around with it for a bit. I still play with mine, the dawes aswell...

threedogs
13th October 2012, 06:35 PM
Not to sound weird like Mudski but I played with mine for a while too. At idle with needle valve off,
slowly undo same watching the turbo Vac arm thingy it will move at which stage I went back half a turn
and locked off needle valve. You'll find EGT's high with 12 psi Boost, keep screwing
in to increase boost, may have to stretch spring, don't go overboard here.

To answer you needle vale off set boost on dawes by screwing in