PDA

View Full Version : Godfather needs help with GU

the godfather
12th October 2012, 08:26 PM
OK, this is what the problem is.
I drove her into the workshop after work and changed the air and oil filter. Usaul stuff no biggie.
After I changed them I filled the oil up.
Started her she was beautiful.
Turned her off and cleaned up my mess (which was evertywhere)
Check the oil again...sweet as, just right and nice and clean.
Started her up and.......WT%?
There is a noise that doesn't sound nice coming from the front end.
Thought it might be a belt scraping or the fan scraping something, that type of sound. No can see a problem.
So I walk away for a while and come back.....No dam noise??????? What the???
Hop in to drive it out; NOISE is back.....I am confused and grumpy now.
Everytime I walk away and start it, it is gone but comes back about 2 minutes later.

I am open to ideas and thoughts?
Surely an alternator bearing or a/c compressor bearing wouldnt go just now?

Anyone?
Someone?

Well looks llike I am walking home tonight. Don't want to risk it.

threedogs
12th October 2012, 08:30 PM
Can usually tell a bearing, grab length of hose and try to pinpoint the noise, plenty of Brothers over your way,
so help may not be that far away. Count your spanners LOL

the godfather
12th October 2012, 10:17 PM
Yeah. I will go in tomorrow and listen when Im not angry at it...lol.
My legs are sore from the 7km walk home.
I guess I will be pulling out the pushy.....

the godfather
19th October 2012, 07:21 PM
Well, problem found ad dealt with.
Turns out I had a very minute fracture in the return barb on the radiator tank. Thus squirting an invisible jet of coolant onto the fan belt.
This in turn cause the belt to made a bazaar noise which sounded nothing like what I would expect.
A new belt $36.00, and a dodgy fix of the radiator and all is quiet on the front again.
She is booked in for a new radiator on Monday.

As a bonus I have been pedalling to work and lost 2.7kg.

threedogs
19th October 2012, 07:26 PM
That top return hose spiggot can be repaired, if thats what broke you just break it off and fit a brass hose barb . I'll race out and take pic for you

the godfather
19th October 2012, 07:27 PM
Sweet. It is fairly brittle though.

threedogs
19th October 2012, 07:34 PM
Cut it off some teflon tape cuts a new thread, mines been like that all year now probs. stuff shelling out for a radiator

the godfather
19th October 2012, 07:39 PM
Mmmm. I will do this. Usually I think of things like this myself, but alas my brain failed me on this one. Its a no brainer really.

threedogs
19th October 2012, 07:46 PM
Hey, we all get brain fade you're not the Lone Ranger there

Morton
20th October 2012, 10:52 PM
That top return hose spiggot can be repaired, if thats what broke you just break it off and fit a brass hose barb . I'll race out and take pic for you

Three dogs, your a champion son, do you by chance now the size of that brass fitting, I will kep one in my tool kit just in chance, I have seen 2 snap off on our play days

threedogs
20th October 2012, 10:56 PM
Not 100% but maybe 1/4 bsp I'll run the tape over it in the morning and edit results here
To suit 10mm ID hose too I think,

the godfather
21st October 2012, 06:52 PM
Three dogs, your a champion son, do you by chance now the size of that brass fitting, I will kep one in my tool kit just in chance, I have seen 2 snap off on our play days

I just fixed mine as three dogs suggested. You need a 1/8 BSP thread to 1/2 barb brass fitting. I had to tap the thread with a tap. I couldn't start it otherwise.