PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust systems!

lil Rig
11th October 2012, 09:12 PM
So Scotty and I have been thinking that down the track, once
the ute is registered, we'd like to build a stack exhaust. Scotty said other than the pipe, I'd need to purchase a muffler. We both agreed that a diesel muffler would probably be the way to go. Now what I'd like to know is where would I get a muffler from?? Any ideas or suggestions??

NissanGQ4.2
11th October 2012, 09:18 PM
I was going to say steal it off you dad, but remembered he has one of those petrol guzzlin 4.2 petrol motors.

Sorry I'm no help

taslucas
11th October 2012, 09:18 PM
Not sure about types of muffler. Will you be able to get it legal? (or care if its not?)

a mate of mine got a defect for having a stack on his gq ute and they are pretty relaxed about that sort of stuff down here... His was made out of truck exhaust material as his brother is a truck mechanic

Winnie
11th October 2012, 09:23 PM
I was going to say steal it off you dad, but remembered he has one of those petrol guzzlin 4.2 petrol motors.

Sorry I'm no help

I thought Liam had the same? Only not with a snail strapped onto it lmao. Ring your local exhaust shops.

DIAL-A-TAP

macca86
11th October 2012, 09:27 PM
Straight through pipe no cat no muffler be a TRUE lol rig

NissanGQ4.2
11th October 2012, 09:31 PM
I thought Liam had the same? Only not with a snail strapped onto it lmao. Ring your local exhaust shops.

DIAL-A-TAP

yep forgot, only dif is its carby not efi. So why the need of a diesel muffler????

lil Rig
12th October 2012, 07:32 AM
Not sure about types of muffler. Will you be able to get it legal? (or care if its not?)

a mate of mine got a defect for having a stack on his gq ute and they are pretty relaxed about that sort of stuff down here... His was made out of truck exhaust material as his brother is a truck mechanic

Well to be honest I haven't really thought about the legality of it, I don't know if Scott has though. I didn't know that you could get pinged for that sort of stuff!
Is there anyway you can make it at home but have it legal?

lil Rig
12th October 2012, 07:34 AM

DIAL-A-TAP

Yeahp I do, except mine is a carby and not efi.
Allright fair enough ill have to look up some locals!

lil Rig
12th October 2012, 07:35 AM
Straight through pipe no cat no muffler be a TRUE lol rig

Why's this Macca? Other than resonate the sound I'm not overly sure what a muffler or cat does haha :)

lil Rig
12th October 2012, 07:36 AM
yep forgot, only dif is its carby not efi. So why the need of a diesel muffler????

Well simply because I was told that gives the best sound haha. It's the sound that matters most ;)

Winnie
12th October 2012, 07:51 AM
Are you running LPG? If so you don't need a cat. Well that's the rules in VIC anyway.

nissannewby
12th October 2012, 07:54 AM
Any straight through muffler will do the job. You can get decent hot dog style ones that will fit under your cab then you can just run your stack in pipe. You could try places like QLD diesel spares for a stack style muffler setup or at least the muffler itself. Ebay can also be your friend on this one. Being that you will be on your P plates while driving this keeping it quiet will keep unwanted attention from the authorities away from you. I did my exhaust at home on my GQ and its legal nose length the lot :) and it dumps about 200mm past the cab.

macca86
12th October 2012, 07:55 AM
They restrict power but keep it legal

threedogs
12th October 2012, 08:22 AM
I've always liked the exhaust on ute etc coming out the drivers side just before the rear wheel.
but thats just me love stacks too but more like little Kenworth build up IMO. Was there a G60
on "your rig" recently done up as a mini truck??
Noise or no noise thats up to you

Ben-e-boy
12th October 2012, 05:49 PM
agree with matt hit up qld diesel spares on the north side they will have some big chrome sooters on the shelf. i think you will need some sort of heat shield too

nissannewby
12th October 2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah theres a qld diesel spares at rocklea if thats any closer for you

threedogs
12th October 2012, 07:17 PM
Tail shafts make great exhausts for short runs, if diam is what you need

lil Rig
13th October 2012, 11:52 AM
Any straight through muffler will do the job. You can get decent hot dog style ones that will fit under your cab then you can just run your stack in pipe. You could try places like QLD diesel spares for a stack style muffler setup or at least the muffler itself. Ebay can also be your friend on this one. Being that you will be on your P plates while driving this keeping it quiet will keep unwanted attention from the authorities away from you. I did my exhaust at home on my GQ and its legal nose length the lot :) and it dumps about 200mm past the cab.

Ok no worries, I had a look on ebay and the hotdog mufflers are pretty cheap, what's the difference between these and normal mufflers? Yeah that's a good point, as soon the the police see the P plates they automatically think your upto no good.
Oh alright so it's not illegal to do it, I'll just have to find the legalities and work around them
Thanks Matty :)

lil Rig
13th October 2012, 11:53 AM
Are you running LPG? If so you don't need a cat. Well that's the rules in VIC anyway.

No it's just straight petrol, but I'm not too sure on the legalities up here

lil Rig
13th October 2012, 11:56 AM
agree with matt hit up qld diesel spares on the north side they will have some big chrome sooters on the shelf. i think you will need some sort of heat shield too

Allrighty ill definitely have a look, I've still got a bit to go before I need it but its definitely worth finding out prices and what not
Cheers Benny

lil Rig
13th October 2012, 12:00 PM
I've always liked the exhaust on ute etc coming out the drivers side just before the rear wheel.
but thats just me love stacks too but more like little Kenworth build up IMO. Was there a G60
on "your rig" recently done up as a mini truck??
Noise or no noise thats up to you

Yeah I like them too but the previous owners have done some dodgey job and just welded a bunch of old exhausts together and brought it out the rear. 21085
It's a bit hard to see in this photo but that rustic brown metal thing on the left hand side is the current exhaust, it's just a bunch of pipe welded together