PDA

View Full Version : can anyone offer some ipad advice?

snewin
11th October 2012, 07:55 PM
Hi all,

Thinking of getting an iPad for the missus for Xmas.

I can order online with free delivery the latest one, 16gb, WiFi and mobile etc for 650 or thereabouts on the apple website.

My question is can I just pop into the Telstra store and get any old pay-as-you-go sim card and plug it in and away we go? Or do I need to take the 5 hour round trip to the apple shop?

taslucas
11th October 2012, 07:58 PM
Personally Id go Android mate.... But thats only because i hate crApple....

everything you do with apple is a "5 hour round trip"....lmao

snewin
11th October 2012, 08:08 PM
Hahaha I am an android person, my wife is apple.

I got the HTC Desire, she's got the iPhone 4.

Sums up a lot about our marriage.

So, back on topic........iPhone help?

megatexture
11th October 2012, 08:09 PM
i just got one this week (i to hate apple but it was free on credit card points) im using wifi at home and if i take it out i turn my phone on wifi hot spot and it will bum off my phones internet connection, i didnt want to have to sign up for another plan. hope this helps

megatexture
11th October 2012, 08:10 PM
make sure you get 3g also so you can use it for mapping

nissannewby
11th October 2012, 08:16 PM
X2 with above I would run it this way, use the perosnal hot spot or free wifi whenever you can. If possible mate I would be grabbing a larger memory unit. once you start throwing music,apps,movies,maps etc on there you may find 16gb limited. Also stick with apple by far the easiest platform to operate, megatexture should move down to tassie with them other blokes that are different :p

snewin
11th October 2012, 08:18 PM
That's awesome, I like the WiFi hotspot idea. I read somewhere that you can buy 12gig of data that you have to use within 365 days for $150 which sounds ok. I have no idea.......

She's on a 1.5gig per month plan in her iPhone. Is that enough data for stuff like facebook, recipe web pages, internet banking, eBay, a bit of googling. That's about it. Nothing special. A bit of the bejewelled game app. No movies. No YouTube streaming stuff. No downloads.

She's never gone over the monthly limit on the phone.

nissannewby
11th October 2012, 08:20 PM
Yeah I get 5gb a month on my phone plan and thats $120 a month. But this is with telstra and the service range is far superior to other carriers.

NissanGQ4.2
11th October 2012, 08:21 PM
I'm not an apple fan either but if I had 2 go apple, I wouldn't go the latest, you could get more gb if you bought an Ipad 2 with that sorta money.

I haven't used one, but assume any pre-paid "data" plan would work, I'm pretty sure its different to a normal phone plan.

Cheers

Toddie

snewin
11th October 2012, 08:28 PM
Oh ok. I suppose that if she's only using it for basic stuff a superseded model would be good.

Maybe they got a runout deal.

wildgu6
11th October 2012, 08:37 PM
Yer im with Lucas and Todd, even though i have an Iphone 4s (work), it is "APPLE" and thats all it is "APPLE", they control you, you can only use "APPLE" with "APPLE", cant throw any oranges in there where as android communicates with anything.
Your call buddy, but if i was paying for it i would go android. and like Todd said, dont go the latest, it takes em a good 6-12 months to get the bugs out of em.

lhurley
11th October 2012, 08:43 PM
ive got a 16gb wifi only and it goes pretty good. i only use the internet on it at home via wifi or if im out and about i can connect my ipad to my phone and use the data that comes with my plan.

ipads are great when you dont have a computer, they do everything you could need to do and they are tiny.
they also double as a kid distraction device, chuck a couple movie or tv shows on it and you wont here a peep out of them.

But to answer your question yes you can go to telstra and get a sim and/or data plan from them, just make sure you say its for an ipad as sim cards come in about 3 different sizes. i think you can actually buy it through telstra but dont quote me on that.
the data on your missus' phone should cover all that stuff, all those sort of pages are tiny, it only once you start watching videos online that you will chew threw your data. Another thing, and ipad 2 is perfectly adequate, the new ipad just has a better screen. Get a 16gb ipad 2 and save some coin for the troll?

snewin
11th October 2012, 08:45 PM
So what's a good android tablet?

nissannewby
11th October 2012, 08:46 PM
samsung....

snewin
11th October 2012, 08:48 PM
Galaxy tab 8.9 4G from the Telstra shop?
There's one in town, I may need to go have a look.

taslucas
11th October 2012, 08:53 PM
make sure you get 3g also so you can use it for mapping

Because apple got sued in australia for falsly claiming that their latest device is 4g compatible when its not

X2 with above I would run it this way, use the perosnal hot spot or free wifi whenever you can. If possible mate I would be grabbing a larger memory unit. once you start throwing music,apps,movies,maps etc on there you may find 16gb limited. Also stick with apple by far the easiest platform to operate, megatexture should move down to tassie with them other blokes that are different :p

Different isnt dumb! :):) lol

That's awesome, I like the WiFi hotspot idea. I read somewhere that you can buy 12gig of data that you have to use within 365 days for $150 which sounds ok. I have no idea.......

She's on a 1.5gig per month plan in her iPhone. Is that enough data for stuff like facebook, recipe web pages, internet banking, eBay, a bit of googling. That's about it. Nothing special. A bit of the bejewelled game app. No movies. No YouTube streaming stuff. No downloads.

She's never gone over the monthly limit on the phone.

Can use the hotspot thing with ALL new smart phones.... My android connects to my laptop and my mates tablet WITH NO EXTRA CRAPPLE SOFTWARE... NO SYNCING, NOTHING, they just work together.

You can get the same deals with ALL new devices

apple works with apple........... Android works with EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD!!

if you go apple, you are committed to going apple only forever!

I dont hate the iphones and tablets that much they are just way over rated

Winnie
11th October 2012, 08:55 PM
I had an iPhone now have an android. Would be never ever go back ever. Ever.

DIAL-A-TAP

nissannewby
11th October 2012, 08:56 PM
I was waiting for a bite :p hook line and sinker.

taslucas
11th October 2012, 08:59 PM
Galaxy tab 8.9 4G from the Telstra shop?
There's one in town, I may need to go have a look.

yeah id go that mate..

i dont have a galaxy (tab OR phone) but they arebetter IMO than crapple

taslucas
11th October 2012, 09:01 PM
I was waiting for a bite :p hook line and sinker.

thats what people say when they realise they were wrong and no one else is on their side!!! hahahahahah lmao

snewin
11th October 2012, 09:03 PM
A bit more dough than the apple but a faster 4g connection & what looks like a better processor.

nissannewby
11th October 2012, 09:04 PM
thats what people say when they realise they were wrong and no one else is on their side!!! hahahahahah lmao

Ill pay that lol. Im just bored sitting at the airport as my flights been delayed :(

taslucas
11th October 2012, 09:08 PM
Ill pay that lol. Im just bored sitting at the airport as my flights been delayed :(

lol, hook line and sinker:)

rusty_nail
11th October 2012, 09:09 PM
I know I'm abit late to the party, but the best tablet on the market is the Asus transformer prime, far superior to the iPad. However as other people have said b4 just get the wifi and personal hotspot it. My mobile provider gives me 1.5gig per month and it sorts me out when I need to use Internet in the tablet.apple are ok but they are just overpriced for what u get.

Tappin

Winnie
11th October 2012, 09:10 PM
If you get the wifi one and use hotspot off your phone can you use mapping?

DIAL-A-TAP

taslucas
11th October 2012, 09:13 PM
I know I'm abit late to the party, but the best tablet on the market is the Asus transformer prime, far superior to the iPad. However as other people have said b4 just get the wifi and personal hotspot it. My mobile provider gives me 1.5gig per month and it sorts me out when I need to use Internet in the tablet.apple are ok but they are just overpriced for what u get.

Tappin

this guy is a computer type guy so i would trust him:)

BigRAWesty
11th October 2012, 09:15 PM
Yea, don't buy one.. There so restrictive. You can't expand memory, use usb's...
There a money spinner with no real use...

Much better going an android 4 system. They start from $100, and I think for $300 ish you get USB slots, wifi and gps..

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

NissanGQ4.2
11th October 2012, 09:15 PM
this guy is a computer type guy so i would trust him:)

what's a "computer type guy" Lucas??? LMAO

rusty_nail
11th October 2012, 09:22 PM

Haha I'm the best kind Todd! Nah seriously they look very similar to the iPad, cept they have a quad core processor, nvidia graphics, they come 3 different memory sizes(I can't remember but I think it's 16, 32 and 64gig, and it's expandable too. You can attach a keyboard to it, it gives you over 20 hours battery life which IMO in ridiculous.value for money transformer prime is your best bet mate.

Tappin

taslucas
11th October 2012, 09:25 PM

HAHAHAHA i really dont know! I think its a term that dumb people like me use for anyone that has a perceived knack for basic computer intelligence........... um?

taslucas
11th October 2012, 09:26 PM
Haha I'm the best kind Todd! Nah seriously they look very similar to the iPad, cept they have a quad core processor, nvidia graphics, they come 3 different memory sizes(I can't remember but I think it's 16, 32 and 64gig, and it's expandable too. You can attach a keyboard to it, it gives you over 20 hours battery life which IMO in ridiculous.value for money transformer prime is your best bet mate.

Tappin

there you go todd...... just what i said LMAO

rusty_nail
11th October 2012, 09:27 PM
HAHAHAHA i really dont know! I think its a term that dumb people like me use for anyone that has a perceived knack for basic computer intelligence........... um?

Come on Lucas give yourself more credit, you know how to turn the computer on, operate a keyboard, and access nisspat forums lol... It's a start!

Tappin

taslucas
11th October 2012, 09:29 PM
Come on Lucas give yourself more credit, you know how to turn the computer on, operate a keyboard, and access nisspat forums lol... It's a start!

Tappin

hahah i can even paste a link!

rusty_nail
11th October 2012, 09:35 PM
hahah i can even paste a link!

Lol ssuuuurrrreerre!

Tappin

megatexture
11th October 2012, 11:03 PM
if i had a choice and was buying one i wouldnt go apple but im not going to knock back a free one!! so far im happy with it but i know it will anoy me when i get into the finer details like bluetoothing a file to another device .. doubt you can to anything thats not apple like a iphone, and other stuff apple put the squeeze on to annoy ppl . and matt id gladly move to tas! great 4wheelin and awsome hiking trails beats any we have up here, just dont get to close to the locals!

MudRunnerTD
11th October 2012, 11:07 PM
Go the Ipad mate! I dont have one but when i go a Tablet it will be the Ipad. As stated chase one with 3G if you want to use it as a GPS as it required the 3G Network to receive the signal. You can just plug in your phone or Bluetooth to it and use your phone but I'd go the 3G for ease.

An Ipad will work really well with my MacBook Pro and iPhone5. Soooo have to get one. ;)

megatexture
11th October 2012, 11:43 PM
Like all apple, the photos it take are crap 1st thing to annoy me

Dam355
12th October 2012, 12:33 AM
I would say the iPad but I am an apple fan.
I also like android! But find it a little clunky.

You pay for what you get. I would not say the iPad is restrictive. I use it for my work which is IT and security and it has never failed me.

It is great for emails, surfing the web, movies and using it on this site. Beats using a computer on the forum.

Yeah it does not have USB but who cares. There are other ways around that.
But if all you want to do is surf the web, email etc either device is perfect.

Stropp
12th October 2012, 12:38 AM
Well I love my free iPad 3G, best thing going, but for free I have to say that.

Clunk
12th October 2012, 02:19 AM
Well I hate to say guys but my android tablet doesn't require 3g network more mapping as the GPS can work stand alone. Besides, 3g or 4g doesn't work when you're out in the sticks where there's no signal. Just make sure the device you get is GPS and not just aGPS (assisted by phone network).

Don't stroke it, TAP it!!!!.....