PDA

View Full Version : oil

oilpond
11th October 2012, 06:26 PM
Im sure it's on here a hundred times but i cant find it and would like to know?

I have just bought a 91 diesel that only has 1/3 oil pressure! Not sure of Ks...
It has a wire dipstick with only a tiny bit for reading on the bottom,an inch or so! and mine is an inch above that reading! is this the genuine dipstick?(a wire one with an inch of reading) if so mine has way to much oil in it and i cant find any pics on google?(very concerning)
I have bought new filters and will do a change next week(the cars not being driven yet)How much oil in one of these pls as i have read 10,11,12 ect?
Best and cheapest oil pls?
I want to run a cup of diesel in it for half hour on idle before draining,would you advise this? i want to try and clean the galleries and figure the shop bought cleaner isnt much different?
As i said it only gets one third oil pressure(Eeeek) but has plenty of grunt(on the two hour drive home) It didnt blow smoke but has been run on idle for a couple of hours while i fix some gremlins in the electrics and does blow some black smoke now under revvs and i figure a good burst when i rego it will cure that(fungers crossed)

Lieney
11th October 2012, 06:39 PM
What engine you running?
Are you sure the oil sender and guage are functioning propperly, & are accurate?
Are you running the right viscosity of oil for that engine, or far to thin?
Are you sure that dipstick is from that engine, and not from another? The oil level might be right & the dpistick wrong. Or oil level wrong, & dipstick right size. Check some other cars same as yours.
I cant remember the spec for 3.0 but soemone will assist. I think from memory about 8-9L. I usually buy a 10L container & have some spare I keep in the shed.
Buy a decent oil, not a home / cheap brand. The additives in good oils last the distance and the oil performs better with a better product.
I used cheap brand oil once in a petrol car but only for flushing as the engine was gunked bad.
Should be nothing wrong with running engine till warm, then draining it.
If you want to do a flush, use cheap oil for a week or two, then change with good oil and filters. Depends on how far you go I guess. 200km maybe
Good luck.

oilpond
11th October 2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks guy its a 4.2 diesel td42? not sure of the sender cause the electrics on the dash are abit dodgy ie have spent hours playing with the dancing speedo and fix it and then it dies(the tacho that is) the Ks stopped at 160k Its only new car to me so not sure of the oil in it or the dipstick which a wire one with only an inch for guageing on the bottom...So you wouldnt run a cup of diesel in your donk before draing? Moneys tight atm and didnt want to bugger around with oils and filters but cant affors a new engine either...

oilpond
12th October 2012, 09:35 AM
This is the dipstick in my 91 td42 diesel,its 55cm from tip to top and i really need to know if this the right one pls? And pls tell me how many litres of oil one of these is spose to take...

simdogs
12th October 2012, 02:19 PM
Yep that's the right dipstick, exactly the same as my 91 td42 mav ute so tipping your engine has been over filled.

As for amount of oil, the service manual says approx 9.2 but last service i did on mine it took about 10

oilpond
12th October 2012, 04:15 PM
Thankyou so much bro it has been a concern:/ Last owner must have overfilled it trying to get the pressure up:/ I have run it for about 3hours but seems fine,is just starting to blow some smoke and that would be the culprit i would imagine(hope)i will drain some so i can warm it for a refill. What does you pressure gauge sit on? mine is on 1/3(eeek) i want to pour a cup of diesel in for a warm up before drain to clear any sludge(I have read its ok But?) Would you consider it your sled?

johno90
12th October 2012, 07:02 PM
1/3 on the factory gauge is spot on!!! most sit at 1/4 at idle and move to just above half when going through the revs.

threedogs
12th October 2012, 07:15 PM
Can't see a little oil doing any harm,as long as its not driven, this is cheap way .

oilpond
14th October 2012, 12:37 AM
Can't see a little oil doing any harm,as long as its not driven, this is cheap way .
Not sure i follow you three dogs...

Devious 4x4
15th October 2012, 03:24 AM
The factory gauges are a bit vague. I'm running an aftermarket oil pressure gauge in mine now as my factory gauge would drop to 0 at hot idle. But it actually had decent oil pressure.

As for what oil to run, try this page http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/PenriteAusMobile/
This is the penrite mobile lube guide. I'm sending this from my phone, so it's the Phone app but there will be a pc version also.

Hope that is of use.

King_ady1
19th October 2012, 10:52 AM
thats the right reading on the factory gauge, as for overfilling a diesel it can be a bit risky if its too high, when you overfill the diesel engines the oil get up into the cylinder head and starts running on straight oil!!! when this happens the revs pick right up and sounds like bout 8k rpm + and keeps rising, along with mass smoke everywhere. i have seen this happen, luckily we managed to suffocate the engine before it blew. also i usualy get it warm before changing oil, it flows out easier and helps flush out any sludge laying around the engine.

oilpond
19th October 2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks King and yeah deisel run ons are fav of my mine on boobtube...
I just wasnt sure if this was the correct dipstick for my unit?

oilpond
19th October 2012, 11:43 AM
as for overfilling a diesel it can be a bit risky if its too high, when you overfill the diesel engines the oil get up into the cylinder head and starts running on straight oil!!! when this happens the revs pick right up and sounds like bout 8k rpm + and keeps rising, along with mass smoke everywhere. i have seen this happen, luckily we managed to suffocate the engine before it blew.
I was just watching Judge Judy(lol) and the deisel mechanic was saying its not possible and if so you only have to turn the key to stop the motor rofl sounds like the last(and i mean the very last mechanic ever,never again) mechanic i took to...