PDA

View Full Version : Nissans GQ - Swivel Hub overhaul

neilallison
10th October 2012, 11:33 PM
Hi Guys

I'm doing an overhaul on the swivel hubs on a Patrol GQ.
When I removed the top and bottom bearing caps, there are 2 shims on the bottom cap and one on the top.
After replacing the top and bottom bearings, will I have to re-shim the caps or can I just put the same shims back as they were? I'm not sure if I need to do anything to load the bearings. I presume that they should be Ok with the original shims but just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

patch697
11th October 2012, 01:48 AM
Mate first things first welcome to the forum. It would be tops if you could pop over to introductions & post up an intro of yourself & your Rig.

There are load requirements for the swivel hub bearings all of which is outlined in the service manual available here on the forum.

We have a 25 post rule in place for all new members but its not hard to clock them up once you join in on a few discussions going on around the place.

In the past I've had plenty of success just putting the shims back in the same way they come out but there has been occasion when this has not worked also. Its not hard to get sorted either way.

Again welcome aboard.

taslucas
11th October 2012, 08:30 AM
Gday Neil, welcome aboard. You can also use the search function (top right of screen) to find a few threads regarding swivel hubs. I was able to use my original shims. Just make sure you remember which ones went where and return ti the same place.

Tap, crackle, pop

Morton
11th October 2012, 10:02 PM
put it back together with the shims, carewfully note how many come out of where, technically removing the shims tighten it up, they are an adjustment measure