PDA

View Full Version : Advice on repairing scratched mag wheels!

PMC
10th October 2012, 12:34 PM
G'folks,

I am about to sell a second hand set of mag wheels from my old Navara so i can put the monies towards my Turbo-upgrade for the Patrol.

The mags have scratches on them, i am wondering if i can use wet & dry sand-paper(1200) lightly rub them back and then use a cutting compound and a buff? or is there any other specific method used?

PS, I just want to make them more presentable for sale, any ideas would be grateful!

Regards,

RLI
:sterb003:

rkinsey
10th October 2012, 12:39 PM
I used to use a metal cutting compound that you can buy from any autoparts store and hand polish the mags I used to have on my '77 HX Kingswood. If they just need a clean up then toothpaste works quite well as a polish.

Cheers,

Rob

PMC
10th October 2012, 02:30 PM
I used to use a metal cutting compound that you can buy from any autoparts store and hand polish the mags I used to have on my '77 HX Kingswood. If they just need a clean up then toothpaste works quite well as a polish.

Cheers,

Rob

G'day Rob,

Thanks for the advice mate!

Regards,

RLI

MudRunnerTD
10th October 2012, 02:42 PM
Hey RLI,

Are they a painted finish or a Polished finish mate? If they are polished then they will probably have a clear coat on them.

If they are a painted finish then get a colour match aerosol spray can and using a electric sander or block rub off the mark to flat and smooth and then just paint the whole rim. You will have a heap of paint, give the rest of teh rims a light rub with 1500 or 2000 just to etch and paint them all a quick coat. They'll look great and bring good coin if people are chasing them.

PMC
10th October 2012, 09:18 PM
Hey RLI,

Are they a painted finish or a Polished finish mate? If they are polished then they will probably have a clear coat on them.

If they are a painted finish then get a colour match aerosol spray can and using a electric sander or block rub off the mark to flat and smooth and then just paint the whole rim. You will have a heap of paint, give the rest of teh rims a light rub with 1500 or 2000 just to etch and paint them all a quick coat. They'll look great and bring good coin if people are chasing them.

G'evening MudRunnerTD,

Mate, i think you might be right, i am pretty sure they do have a clear coating on them. Thanks for the great advice!

Regards,

RLI