PDA

View Full Version : NOOB ___ letting go of my XR8 and going back to a Nissan Patrol

mad_cont
8th October 2012, 09:08 PM
G'day all
Previously I had a Nissan patrol 4 years ago .... ZD30 ..... 2000 ..... Ex BHP truck .... yea I know ... F@$ked up you say?

Not really, had a few glitches of course, but got it very cheap and managed to fix it up myself and had lots of fun, until tough times came and I had to get rid of my lovely truck & bike (Ducati Monster S2R) back in 2009's GFC so I love speed, read carefully, I said speed not "speeding" the fast acceleration from standing still to whatever speed limit is. with all my turbos, V8's & Fast bikes, 18 years of licence and only 1 speed fine ..... on my wife's barina .... don't even know how to explain that 78 on the 60k zone .... :1087:
any ways' got rid of the toys and got myself a XR8 BA, beautiful, love the ride can't have enough of that V8 note, but know, got a GSXR1100, full customised, and I did all the work so I m not letting this one go easy, so 2 very fast vehicles is a bit of a waste, and I miss all the 4wding fun.

wich brings me to the point. see you XR8 and welcome Nissan Patrol :clapping:

here are the questions now:
looking to get a 2007 onwards Patrol ZD30 common rail engine, are they better and easier to live then the old direct injected ?
Variable vane turbo, still on the Common rail ? does it work better now ?
any other known problems ( apart from the dash bubbling ) ?

Option 2 is a 2000 GU 4.2 non turbo, how do they go? any issues ? overheating ?

if anyone interested the BA still for sale

threedogs
8th October 2012, 09:12 PM
Go back a year and look for a 4.2 turbo wagon, Cr easier to live with need a little caressing. look for a 4.2 turbo diesel
what you after wagon or ute???
Welcome too buddy great bunch of people and plenty of info as well, enjoy

mad_cont
8th October 2012, 09:23 PM
wagon mate, need at least 5 sets on the car, so either DX or ST would suit.

the 4.2 turbos are hard to find and when you do they are asking 35k for a 1999, is this the real price for that thing ? I know it is a good car but far out ....

Thanks for the welcome and looking forward to this site and being back on 4 wheeling

threedogs
8th October 2012, 09:30 PM
Yeah overpriced as all get out, You'll love it here plenty of laughs all that. like I said
jump in any time and enjoy, check the 4sale section might be something to look at

Irvs
8th October 2012, 09:37 PM
To be honest the ZD30 patrols are actually pretty awesome these days but the TD42 will go forever with just simple maintenance 600 thou plus.If you can find a GU TD42 Turbo that is less than 25k then there is something else wrong with it so look carefully. Welcome mate and good luck with it.

healy
8th October 2012, 11:30 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

MEGOMONSTER
9th October 2012, 04:52 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

growler2058
9th October 2012, 05:02 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

Sent via my tapping thumbs

BigRAWesty
9th October 2012, 05:34 AM
Welcome back.
Yea the old patrols are gaining value of late.. If you find a gq for less than $5000 it's missing something..
Same with the GU's.
As mentioned above try and grab a 4.2 TD, you'll be glad you did down the track with lots of good non-stressful k's on the clock. The NA 4.2 has good grunt down low but lacks up top thus the addition of a snail to make its a top bus..

Whatever the choice, there are heaps of mods to do do make a list...

Enjoy

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

PMC
9th October 2012, 12:39 PM
G, day Mad cont,

Welcome back,fear no beer. Remember, the only stick you should have in your hand is "Low range" .

PS, enjoy the forum !

Regards,

RLI

shakey55
9th October 2012, 04:15 PM
There are good '05, 4.2td around. I got one three and a half years ago with only 17,000 kms on the clock. Was driven by senior executive of the RTA (N.S.W).

The down side of getting a great truck was that I had to pay $43,000 for it.

Been on several trips with my mates, including 8 week trip to Cape York.

Outstanding vehicle

'shakey'

Dhuck
9th October 2012, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

2TROLLFAM
10th October 2012, 01:18 PM
Welcome aboard !! As most (naahhh ALL) will agree this is a pretty awesome forum with a truck load of information to be found & fun to be had ... Hope you enjoy you're stay - the key is to participate :)

wildgu6
10th October 2012, 09:25 PM
Welcome aboard Buddy, top mob here with tons of info and laughs,
Jump in and Enjoy mate

Cheers Pete

Maxhead
11th October 2012, 06:44 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate

mad_cont
11th October 2012, 08:49 PM
thanks all for the warm welcome and suggestions, really looking forward to get back into 4wding specially with a nissan patrol

searching have started, heading towards Newcastle looking on a few 07, 08 & 09 patrols, 3.0 Diesel, but still a good truck.

will post the updates as it happens :driving2:

rainman01
15th October 2012, 04:24 PM
G'day mate and welcome aboard...Plenty of beaut stories and advice in here.

choppie
15th October 2012, 07:44 PM
Welcome to the best forum on the planet mate,good bunch of folk here.