PDA

View Full Version : Which cordless drill?

snewin
6th October 2012, 08:37 AM
My ever-loving wife has told me that she's getting me a cordless drill for my birthday. I've gone a long time without one so I'm pretty happy. I have to choose it and I have no idea. We'll probably go to Bunnings as its the nearest store for that kind of thing. A Google search comes up with a gazillion hits and more choices than I can care less about to read do I've come to you, the great brains trust.

I suppose I need to know what brand, what voltage and what I should look for in the way of accessories (bits?).

I know Ryobi, Makita, Bosch, Milwaukee and I guess there's loads more......and I guess either 14.4 or 18v.

I'll be using it for all the regular things, more domestic than serious work, but I want to buy a quality unit that will last many years. I tend to buy things only once.

Can anyone offer any practical help to me? What do you own and use regularly?

Cheers, Rob.

nissannewby
6th October 2012, 08:40 AM
Id go milwaukee or hitachi mate. Im in the mining industry and own milwaukee chordless drills, grinders, and rattle guns and they have been bloody brilliant. Im not sure on the hitachi but the milwaukee has a 5yr warranty. 18v is certainly the go and you want atleast 3.0ah batteries.

These chordless tools cop a hiding up here and these 2 brands stand out from the rest.

threedogs
6th October 2012, 08:49 AM
18 or 24 v only buy the one tool complete, no point having a battery for everyone.
Need two batteries, one on charge ready to go whilst using the other.
Think Milwaukee are ok, depends if you use for your trade or just for odd jobs etc around home.
Personally I'd love the unit that'll take wheel nuts off, best tool ever made IMO
5 year warranty cant beat that, couldnt even garantee myself for that long, lol

nissannewby
6th October 2012, 08:50 AM
Yeah my 18v milwaukee rattle gun does my wheel nuts and only weighs 1.9kg

megatexture
6th October 2012, 08:53 AM
personaly i love all my dewalt tools i own 5 mixing drills(240v) and 18vcordless drill , impact drill, sabresaw, circular saw, torch , grinder and many batterys to go round and never had any issues with the cordless tools mixing drills require brushes every 6 months but they get used to mix render every day

dont skimp on the drill you choose a cheep one wont last long at all and im not a fan of lithion batteries of any brand in my opinion they are great short term while they work but my nicad have always outlived them

threedogs
6th October 2012, 08:53 AM
Awesome tool geat working under 4x4, loosens most nuts, etc.
Even take it bush if you get a flat, I love it

megatexture
6th October 2012, 08:56 AM
what ever tool you get keep an eye out for the packs they sell a dewalt impact drill is like 800$ but you can buy a pack of 4 tools and a bag for 1200$ they are good deals keep an eye out

my third 256
6th October 2012, 08:57 AM
personaly i love all my dewalt tools i own 5 mixing drills(240v) and 18vcordless drill , impact drill, sabresaw, circular saw, torch , grinder and many batterys to go round and never had any issues with the cordless tools mixing drills require brushes every 6 months but they get used to mix render every day

dont skimp on the drill you choose a cheep one wont last long at all and im not a fan of lithion batteries of any brand in my opinion they are great short term while they work but my nicad have always outlived them
x2 and dont go 24v as they are too heavy
great buys on e bay too for bare tools

MC97GQ
6th October 2012, 08:59 AM
Hey Rob,

Don't be fooled by going to Bunnings, they are not necessarily the cheapest, mate I would go to Bunnings to have a look at what you want in the flesh, then have a look at some of the online tool retailers.

A few years ago I bought some DeWalt gear(Circular Saw and Angle grinder) and a mob called Just Tools from Melbourne were cheaper with courier costs than Bunnings were retail.

Shop around mate you will get better value for your money.

Mark

threedogs
6th October 2012, 09:09 AM
I saw Milwaukee three tools for xxx amount in the states delivered
Saw same at local tool shop, could have brought two from the states and still had change
only need one of those multi volt travel adaptors to recharge it
Might be too late now as its a birthday present

my third 256
6th October 2012, 09:14 AM
i bought a dewalt 18v dry wall gun with adaptors for tec screwa fron england (bare tool ) $100.00 free delivery was here in 10 days
2 18v replacement batteries from n.z free delivery $96.oo here dewalt want $150.00 each
go figure

Winnie
6th October 2012, 10:20 AM
Go to your nearest Lawrence and Hanson for Milwaukee, ask them for their best price.

Tip tap tippity tip tappity tap tap ding dong tipsy topsy wopsy mopsy tippy tap tap tipitty wee

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2012, 11:03 AM
I bought a 12 tool 18v Makita set out of the States about 5years ago for the price of a drill driver set here. At an exchange rate over parity it's a no brainer.

What is your budget mate? We are all helpng you spend between $500 and $1000

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2012, 11:10 AM
This is a bargain but you need to buy a charger. See the link in the add for a charger

7 piece Makita combo in Australia (http://http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=280986161837&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=93159324268)

taslucas
6th October 2012, 11:10 AM
Im a Makita man myself. I use my 18v hammerdrill and impact driver fairly often. If your not going to be using it all day long, id go the 1.3ah batteries. They have the same grunt, just dont last as long which is a pain if your using the drill all day but for most home handyman type uses, the 1.3ah are definately sufficient.
Another guy at work has Hitachi and while it seems just as grunty, it has rusted on the chuck in less than a year.
I got a makita set off the internet which included; Charger, LXT hammer drill, impact driver, two lithium ion 18v 3ah batteries and hardcase for less then i could get the same drill and two 1.3ah batteries locally.
I personally think the yellow brand and the red brand are overpriced.

Bloodyaussie
6th October 2012, 11:19 AM
I have an AEG and since owning it have never used my 240v drill.

It has huge torque and has handled everything I have asked of it.

Irvs
6th October 2012, 11:28 AM
Makita 18V because it's at a good price point and it's a quality unit, any warranty claims are dealt with within Australia, don't buy from Burnings they have old stock at inflated prices, Milwaukee is good butter expensive, Bosch are also great, not sure on Hitachi personally but I've heard good things

MEGOMONSTER
6th October 2012, 01:45 PM
Hilti's all the way. No compromise

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

patch697
6th October 2012, 01:58 PM
Hey Rob,

Don't be fooled by going to Bunnings, they are not necessarily the cheapest, mate I would go to Bunnings to have a look at what you want in the flesh, then have a look at some of the online tool retailers.

A few years ago I bought some DeWalt gear(Circular Saw and Angle grinder) and a mob called Just Tools from Melbourne were cheaper with courier costs than Bunnings were retail.

Shop around mate you will get better value for your money.

Mark

X2 on the above post........

Milwaukee are also a well built tool & after using them both first hand I'd be very happy owning either bit I 100% agree with threedogs as in buy all the same brand.

89gqpatrol4x4
6th October 2012, 02:38 PM
I bought a 12 tool 18v Makita set out of the States about 5years ago for the price of a drill driver set here. At an exchange rate over parity it's a no brainer.

What is your budget mate? We are all helpng you spend between $500 and $1000

I may be wrong but the chargers in these overseas kits don't always suit australian power points. We have 240 volt and america is different so you need to factor in buying a new charger. And mate as for buying things once I totally agree, however if your not using it all the time then a cheaper unit might do the job fine, such as bosch green or makita handyman range. Remember the skin might last forever but it's the batteries that don't last forever and there not cheap!

taslucas
6th October 2012, 02:58 PM
I may be wrong but the chargers in these overseas kits don't always suit australian power points. We have 240 volt and america is different so you need to factor in buying a new charger. And mate as for buying things once I totally agree, however if your not using it all the time then a cheaper unit might do the job fine, such as bosch green or makita handyman range. Remember the skin might last forever but it's the batteries that don't last forever and there not cheap!

Yep most of the kits come with the inverter. They will state whether they do or not. Mine came with the inverter at no extra cost. The down side is you have an extra thing to carry if your on the move (doesnt matter if its gonna stay at your house) the up side is that i can now buy anything else i want from america and i already have an inverter:)

snewin
6th October 2012, 03:36 PM
Awesome advice here. My budget probably would stretch to $750 if I asked nice...

I like the idea of looking online. I'll avoid Bunnings then. The less money the Evil Empire get the better.

Buying from the states is a great idea, never even considered that. You're right about the conversion rate. Not too concerned about getting a power adapter.

So I'll concentrate my search on 18v Milwaukee, Makita & Hitachi with 2x 3Ah batteries. Excellent start!

Thanks so far, Rob.

taslucas
6th October 2012, 03:40 PM
What would you be using it for mainly? As said above, theres no need to go all out if your only using it for general handyman stuff

taslucas
6th October 2012, 03:41 PM
Heres a good one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAKITA-LXT239-18V-LXT-BRUSHLESS-DRILL-IMPACT-2-TOOL-COMBO-KIT-240V-AUS-CHARGER-/330801262640?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item4d054ab030

taslucas
6th October 2012, 03:42 PM
or go with this for $439 and use the rest of your cash as bedroom vouchers!?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAKITA-BHP454-18V-CORDLESS-HAMMER-DRILL-KIT-18-V-LXT-LI-ION-/120817489569?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item1c214896a1

taslucas
6th October 2012, 03:44 PM
These all in one kits are the go. Not much you cant build with a kit like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAKITA-18V-LXT-8PCE-CORDLESS-COMBO-TOOL-KIT-LXT702-ROTARY-HAMMER-DRILL-/120993518670?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item1c2bc6944e

snewin
6th October 2012, 04:30 PM
They look really good. I don't think the $1200 one will win me any favours, even though it'll be my money buying it lol!!

The other two look spot on.

taslucas
6th October 2012, 04:35 PM
Once youve got some batteries and a charger in your first kit then you can always buy extra naked tools (skins) later on. General price for most Makita skins is between $100 and $150 which i think is really good for what you get. Do an ebay search for makita 18v skins.

MudRunnerTD
6th October 2012, 05:37 PM
Heres a good one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAKITA-LXT239-18V-LXT-BRUSHLESS-DRILL-IMPACT-2-TOOL-COMBO-KIT-240V-AUS-CHARGER-/330801262640?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item4d054ab030

Over Priced

or go with this for $439 and use the rest of your cash as bedroom vouchers!?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAKITA-BHP454-18V-CORDLESS-HAMMER-DRILL-KIT-18-V-LXT-LI-ION-/120817489569?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item1c214896a1

Over Priced

These all in one kits are the go. Not much you cant build with a kit like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAKITA-18V-LXT-8PCE-CORDLESS-COMBO-TOOL-KIT-LXT702-ROTARY-HAMMER-DRILL-/120993518670?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item1c2bc6944e

Over Priced!

Click in this link. Sold in Australia and bought from USA to that seller i reckon!!

MAKITA-LXT601-18V-6-PCE-CORDLESS-COMBO-TOOL-KIT- (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAKITA-LXT601-18V-6-PCE-CORDLESS-COMBO-TOOL-KIT-BHP452-BTD141-BGA452-BSS611-/120992495545?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item1c2bb6f7b9#ht_1683wt_1195)

Here is the Bargain

Amazon - 7pc Makita Combo (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DNNT9W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

I went to Checkout with this item and it was $143 for shipping to Geelong! Total price landed at your door is $761. You will need an inverter to go from 240 to 110v that you can buy online too. This is the kit i own and i have run mine through an inverter for 5 years without trouble.

So the real difference between he 2 kits above is the aussie seller has added a charger in 240v but you dont get the Radio. Check and ask him about Aussie Warranty call on those items though. The USA Seller will ship to your door and you get hte Radio as well. I like y radio. ;)

I copped it sweet for the warranty as its Makita and for the price even is one item dies i am still way way way ahead on price ;)

Here is the Inverter that i run with my Makita kit from the USA

Step-Down-Transformer-240V-120V-110V-300W-Aussie-Plug-NEW-Approved (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Step-Down-Transformer-240V-120V-110V-300W-Aussie-Plug-NEW-Approved-/130711510926?pt=AU_Power_Tools&hash=item1e6f035f8e#ht_3274wt_1195)

taslucas
6th October 2012, 05:48 PM
Yeah it was just a taster to get the juices flowing. That second link of yours MR is a total bargain and i think snewin had a budget of $750.... coincidence?? lol.

The kit i got was this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Makita-BHP454-18V-LXT-Lithium-Cordless-1-2-HammerDrill-Driver-Tool-Kit-18-Volt-/120995038879?pt=BI_Hammer_Drills&hash=item1c2bddc69f PLUS the biggest impact driver two 3ah batteries, charger and inverter for 3
$330 delivered. THATS A BARGAIN:)

snewin
6th October 2012, 06:01 PM
The juices are flowing

macca
6th October 2012, 06:10 PM
I have an AEG and since owning it have never used my 240v drill.

It has huge torque and has handled everything I have asked of it.

We have 3 18volt AEG and they are rubbish, new models only 18months old.

Used to be the same, just rebranded, as Milwaukie and Atlas Copco, not any more.

Milwaukies are the best according to the bloke fixing mine under warrantee.

Got 36volt Hiltis, never an issue but dont know about the 18v units.

You dont necesarily get what you pay for as the AEG's were not cheap.

taslucas
6th October 2012, 06:26 PM
We have 3 18volt AEG and they are rubbish, new models only 18months old.

Used to be the same, just rebranded, as Milwaukie and Atlas Copco, not any more.

Milwaukies are the best according to the bloke fixing mine under warrantee.

Got 36volt Hiltis, never an issue but dont know about the 18v units.

You dont necesarily get what you pay for as the AEG's were not cheap.

Does that make sense???

macca
6th October 2012, 07:36 PM
Mate he said Milwaukie are on their own now and make a really good drill for trade use.

He's fixing my Beeping usless AEG's, fair go they are rubbish especially as they are marketed to the tradesman.

The post I was saying they used to be identicle just different coloured cases and badges, bit like a Maverick IYKWIM.

taslucas
6th October 2012, 07:41 PM
ahhhh sorry, i get it now. Thought the Milwaukie was in for repairs. Ive heard that milwaukies and dewalts are pretty much the same thing underneath?