PDA

View Full Version : Power Window Problem

damaverick
5th October 2012, 12:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I own an '89 Ford Maverick DA (Patrol GQ). It's a short wheel base 3 door.

It has power windows but the passenger window does not work at all. I have tried checking for fuses but the windows don't seem to have a fuse. The previous owner told me it's the window regulator so I have replaced it but still nothing.

I'm thinking it could be the actual motor that connects to the window regulator. What do you guys think?

Cheers

Winnie
5th October 2012, 12:57 PM
Does it make a noise when you press the button? Need more info.

damaverick
5th October 2012, 01:01 PM
No noise can be heard, even with the door trim off

patch697
5th October 2012, 01:03 PM
Have you checked for power at the elec/window motor &/or the switch

NissanGQ4.2
5th October 2012, 01:14 PM
I'm thinking it could be the actual motor that connects to the window regulator. What do you guys think?

Cheers

Most electric windows are temperamental, especially @ that age.

I assume you driver has a switch for the passenger window and there is a switch on the passenger door? Do both not work??? The switches can get crap on the contacts and a good clean will usual get them working again, but if both switches don't work then I would assume the problem is not with the switches

If you have the door trim off, remove the motor and run 12 volt straight to the motor, that will eliminate the motor straight away.

Cheers

Toddie

damaverick
5th October 2012, 01:21 PM
Patch, I will have to go home to find my test light. I'm guessing if there is power going to the motor then the motor has had it but if there is no power then there is a connection problem somewhere?

Toddie, neither the passenger/driver switch works. I'll try to find some wires to test the motor, thanks.

NissanGQ4.2
5th October 2012, 01:45 PM
I have pictures here of the motors somewhere, just can't find them at the moment.

I have stripped and cleaned mine before, so if you find the motors have failed strip them down n give a good clean, If you have a good auto elect you might be able 2 renew the brushes on it 2. Then try it again before throwing out

Trust me, you don't want 2 know the price on a new motor especially from Nissan.

my third 256
5th October 2012, 02:25 PM
try this
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3001-Temperamental-Power-Window

damaverick
5th October 2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys, turns out it's not the motor cause it worked fine after I connected it directly to the battery. Good thing I didn't buy one just yet.

Will try cleaning the switches tomorrow.

NissanGQ4.2
5th October 2012, 07:51 PM
before you try the switches, plug it back in and try it, don't ask why

NissanGQ4.2
5th October 2012, 08:31 PM
Also, if after cleaning the switches it still doesn't work, I think there is some sorta controller box in the drivers side door, can't remember what the controllers proper name is and what it actually controls, but it may have failed causing the problem as well.

Maybe I should look at the manual, that would prolly tell me!

Edit: Its called a power window amp

damaverick
5th October 2012, 10:07 PM
This is going to be so rewarding once/if I can figure it out!

Robo
5th October 2012, 11:53 PM
Try this.
use a test light on suspect door.
get someone to operate drivers control switch and you monitor test light on sus door.
this will confirm power, or not from drivers door to other door.
test before and after suspect switch door.
if you have power there you will have a starting point to work from.
ya with me.

as they others have said, touchy switches.

if you still have problems
disassemble all switches not hard to do.
clean inside them.
contact cleaner works tops.
check the contact points.
they can be burnt like ignition points can get burnt.
clean contacts up to.

lube rocker points, "very sparingly".
not the contact points
dielectric grease if ya have some again, sparingly.
reassemble and try again, think you will find they work again just fine.
they can need doing a couple of times as these switches are a real pain.
cheers

my third 256
6th October 2012, 06:43 AM
Also, if after cleaning the switches it still doesn't work, I think there is some sorta controller box in the drivers side door, can't remember what the controllers proper name is and what it actually controls, but it may have failed causing the problem as well.

Maybe I should look at the manual, that would prolly tell me!

Edit: Its called a power window amp
have a read of this re the controll box
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8435-GU-Window-Switch-Problems&p=185058#post185058

nissannewby
6th October 2012, 08:53 AM
There is also a fusable link in the engine bay for this check this as well and make sure you arent getting a voltage drop across it this can cause issues as well

threedogs
6th October 2012, 09:03 AM
Anyone a fan of these Lanolin based sprays,
I use this on every thing its great, even bare metal
Great for auto electrics as well ,just allow to dry

Robo
6th October 2012, 02:54 PM
Yes they do a number of good products.
I would not use it in the switches.
heat and vapour may contaminate the contact points.
uummmm like some dash cleaner/oils fogs up your windscreen".

Yendor
6th October 2012, 06:54 PM
It's strange that the window doesn't go up or down from either switch, maybe the connector that connects the door harness to the body harness has been disconnected.

With a test light and the ignition on, check if there is power in the White wire with a black trace at the passenger side window switch.

Robo
7th October 2012, 01:10 AM
If the switch contacts in drivers doors are faulty, then the windows wont work even from other (Slave) switch as power has to pass through (Master) drivers door switch first.
Thats why I suggested test before Slave switch as power may not be coming from Drivers master switch.

I had the same problem, all switches were faulty/dirty/burnt contacts.
soon as I cleaned em out and touched up contacts, then re-lubed pivots.
All working good as new, fixed 1.5 yr now.
Also the controller amp in my door is from a pulsar or something.
so you dont have to use GQ only oem stuff
Cheers.

my third 256
7th October 2012, 07:09 AM
isnt there a button on the armrest that loks the window from moving chech that it isnt depressed

NissanGQ4.2
7th October 2012, 07:24 AM
isnt there a button on the armrest that loks the window from moving chech that it isnt depressed

hahahahaha

yeh I have that on my GQ electric windows, hopefully it would only be something that simply.

NissanGQ4.2
7th October 2012, 07:27 AM
Cheers.

Yeh I have read elsewhere that the amp is the same on various other Nissans

Yendor
7th October 2012, 08:55 AM
If the switch contacts in drivers doors are faulty, then the windows wont work even from other (Slave) switch as power has to pass through (Master) drivers door switch first.
Thats why I suggested test before Slave switch as power may not be coming from Drivers master switch.

I had the same problem, all switches were faulty/dirty/burnt contacts.
soon as I cleaned em out and touched up contacts, then re-lubed pivots.
All working good as new, fixed 1.5 yr now.
Cheers.

When using the passengers switch power does not pass through the master switch, only the earth does.

There is power supplied directly to the passenger switch via the White with a black trace wire.

The amp only controls the drivers window.

NissanGQ4.2
7th October 2012, 10:17 AM

That sounds strange to me.

I'm no sparky Rodney, but when looking at the GQ wiring diagram the other day, it sure looks to control more than just the drivers window

NissanGQ4.2
7th October 2012, 10:20 AM
That sounds strange to me.

I'm no sparky Rodney, but when looking at the GQ wiring diagram the other day, it sure looks to control more than just the drivers window

Just had another look, and of course Rodney is right, don't no why I even doubted you for a sec

Yendor
7th October 2012, 10:52 AM
Just had another look, and of course Rodney is right, don't no why I even doubted you for a sec

Good to see you are keeping me on my toes.

The amp controls the auto down for the drivers window.

Robo
8th October 2012, 01:45 AM
When using the passengers switch power does not pass through the master switch, only the earth does.

There is power supplied directly to the passenger switch via the White with a black trace wire.

All good, I stand corrected it was 1.5 yr ago.
The earth must of been the trouble with my unit as nothing was working properly untill master switch was cleaned up.
Assumed it was power not earth problem at switch as contacts were also burnt there. "mother of all mistakes, assume"
Sorry for the miss-info.
cleaning master was the fix in the end, for me at least.
Cheers

damaverick
8th October 2012, 01:49 AM
before you try the switches, plug it back in and try it, don't ask why

I can't believe this actually solved the problem. Still dunno what the problem was, but at least it's fixed!

Thanks to everyone for their input and help.