PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade

damaverick
5th October 2012, 12:27 PM
Hi Guys,

The brakes on my '89 carby GQ Patrol are terrible. I'm going to start by changing rear pads and discs as they are almost metal to metal.

I also want to upgrade the front brakes from single piston callipers to the double piston callipers off a later '94 model GQ as I am running 35" tyres. The guy selling them says they bolt straight on so it should be an easy upgrade.

My question is once I upgrade the front callipers, do I need to buy discs and pads for a '94 model GQ to make everything work or can I keep using the original discs and pads from my '89 GQ? Are the discs and pads the same for the single/twin piston callipers or are they different?

Cheers

nissannewby
5th October 2012, 04:41 PM
Just be careful here. The 2 pistion cailpers are larger and you may have to run a 16" rim if you arent already. The discs will be different between 1 and 2 piston calipers so you will have to source the rotors as well. There are also different thinckness's of rotors of the GQ's time and if the thickness is different the caliper mount on your diff may not be in the right spot.

damaverick
5th October 2012, 07:50 PM
Gotcha, so I need to make sure I buy the right discs and pads as they will be different.

As for the rims, I am running brand new 15's so does anyone know for sure whether an upgrade to 16's is necessary?

77gze
5th October 2012, 10:36 PM
Great upgrade will give it a go myself!

JonnoD
31st October 2012, 11:38 AM
you only need to upgrade to 16" rims if you run the bigger gu 4.8 brake setup. Also check if you need to run a different brake master setup.

YNOT
31st October 2012, 12:23 PM
Your 15" wheels may fit over dual piston callipers depending on their offset, trail and error. Alloy 15" wheels will probably foul the callipers.

Tony

Pezzer
9th July 2013, 06:12 PM
I think I will do this swap over after the Efi Saga.

Pezzer
29th July 2013, 09:57 AM
I will be doing this swap over this week , I will post pics as this may help others as it seems like a straight forward swap. At this stage I have callipers / rotors and master cylinder of which may or may not have to be changed.

Pezzer
29th July 2013, 10:13 AM
Just done a quick check on rotor dimensions = Single piston 294mm diameter 20mm thickness / Twin piston 306mm diameter 26mm thickness ( vented rotors).

BigRAWesty
29th July 2013, 10:17 AM
Just done a quick check on rotor dimensions = Single piston 294mm diameter 20mm thickness / Twin piston 306mm diameter 26mm thickness ( vented rotors).

Geeze it'll be tight. Pretty sure stock only has about 20mm gap between caliper and rim..
It's a good upgrade, but I'd go 16's to be sure..

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

MudRunnerTD
29th July 2013, 03:32 PM
nah you will fit a 15. i know a few blokes fitting 15s to a GU front end. as long as its not the 4.8 which are bigger again you'll be fine.

The Brakes on the GQ after swapping to GU Diffs and brakes is Insane! Love it.

Pezzer
29th July 2013, 06:22 PM
Yes it would be tight Damaverick has 15" rims I have changed mine to 17" which appears to have ample clearance.

BigRAWesty
29th July 2013, 06:25 PM
Yes it would be tight Damaverick has 15" rims I have changed mine to 17" which appears to have ample clearance.

You'd be able to crawl threw that gap... Lol

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

Pezzer
30th July 2013, 07:16 PM
Fri/Sat calliper swap.

Avo
5th August 2013, 11:41 PM
How did you go mate?I'll be doing my brakes soon the more info on what to choose the better.

Pezzer
5th August 2013, 11:52 PM
Had a crazy weekend so have not started them yet but will this week.

Pezzer
7th August 2013, 09:40 PM
Okay started the brake swap, removed the Patrol Twin calliper and Rotor first I pulled the wheel first followed by the Auto hub carefully removing not to disturb the hub innards. Then disconnecting the brake line I removed the 2x 22mm bolts holding the calliper, followed by the cir clip retainer in front of the auto hub mesh gearing. the Patrol has a bearing retaining ring where there are 2 locking screws remove these and then slide the Hub off the stub axle being careful of bearings and rear seal.
Over to the Maverick same steps as above but Manual Hubs, bearing here is retained by conventional retaining nuts behind a locking shim, using a punch knock the first nut then remove the locking shim then tap off the second nut slide the hub off as above.
Both callipers have the same bolt PCD so all good there, the only stumbling block I found was as small 2.5mm ridge running inside the Maverick (1990) hub, this prevented me reinstalling the bearing locking ring, so to get around this I split hub from rotor on both vehicles and swapped them over.

Refit reverse of dismantle, re bleed brakes job done.

Pezzer
13th August 2013, 08:49 AM
Bought new slotted rotors to match up with the twin piston callipers, should arrive today will take a few pics before the rim goes back on.

Pezzer
13th August 2013, 08:08 PM
pics of the twin piston callipers and new slotted rotors fitted to the Maverick

mudbug
17th September 2013, 12:28 AM
Hay Pezzer been watching your break mods will be doing this my self ,have callipers no rotors yet will I need master cylinder doesn't look to hard of a job looks good

Cheers

threedogs
17th September 2013, 07:53 AM
Whats the end result

Pezzer
18th September 2013, 08:54 PM
Very big noticeable difference in coming to a halt especially when towing, highly recommend this upgrade.

OlTroll
11th April 2014, 04:17 PM
I am about to make the same brake upgrade. Post how I go once done

wannabeturboed
1st May 2014, 09:33 PM
Wouldn't you be better off using a hob nut socket rather than stuffing the nut by notching with a screwdriver they are only a few dollars and well worth the addition to your tool box in my opinion.

Brakes look awesome ill do this conversion if I can get my hands on a set of callipers love the slotted rotors too well done

OlTroll
2nd May 2014, 07:23 PM
Brake conversion done, only upgraded calipers and rotors and bought new pads. Works awesome. Already on 16" rims though so don't know if 15's have a problem. Also got new shims through Patrolapart and they sell the whole kits for upgrade too.