PDA

View Full Version : Replaced glow plugs...car wont start

Chrismia1
5th October 2012, 07:51 AM
Hi my name is tereasa, I have a 99 nissan patrol 2.8 turbo...hubby replace all 6 glow plugs but after 3 days of running really well it stoped and wont start....got roadside out to help and he suggested that the gliw plugs are not getting enough power to glow....can anyone help with what I can do, will I need to replace gliw plugs again....thanks

growler2058
5th October 2012, 07:53 AM
G'day mate welcome aboard gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice
Possibly the glow plug relay is the issue or maybe the earth is not good

Sent via my tapping thumbs

Chrismia1
5th October 2012, 08:53 AM
Ate you talking about earth on the battery,and will my workshop manual have info on the relay....thanks

growler2058
5th October 2012, 09:03 AM
I didn't read your post properly I have a td42 and have a fuse by the battery like this
And the relay is behind the drivers side kick panel below the fuses20714
Your manual should help you to locate the earth could be on the battery or where it fixes to the glow plug link
Sorry all td42 pics

Sent via my tapping thumbs

rkinsey
5th October 2012, 09:09 AM
Hi Tereasa,

I would check the glow plugs first to see if any of them are faulty. After only a few days operation and then all of them are out would be too much of a coincidence and is probably the glow plug controller/timer. However, first things first.

Get a simple circuit tester from any auto parts store (if you dont already have one) like this http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Super-Works-Circuit-Tester-6-12V.aspx?pid=2044#Description

then remove the two power rails from the glow plugs. Connect the circuit tester to the positive terminal of the battery and then touch the probe to the top of each glow plug. The light in the tester should come on showing you that there is a circuit running through each one. If it doesnt come on then the glow plug is stuffed.

If all of them are ok. Replace the power rails and check all connections and test to see if the car starts. If it still doesnt start or has trouble starting then look at replacing the Glow Plug Controller/Timer.

I have a similar issue with my RD28T and am researching a replacement Glow Plug Controller/Timer. Patrolapart dont have them in stock at the moment and are $195.00 second hand.

I am still looking though.

I'll take some pics of my RD28T and the controller unit and post them here later today if you like.

Cheers,

Rob

Chrismia1
5th October 2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks heaps guys....really helpfull and pics will be a big help...awsome....

rkinsey
5th October 2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks Growler. I forgot to mention to check the fuses and ground first before looking at the Glow Plug Controller/Timer.

rkinsey
5th October 2012, 07:00 PM
Here are some quick pics of the fuse box that is located behind hte drivers side kick panel on my 1997 GQII RD28T.

You can just see the top of the glowplug timer under the fuse board.

I will take the kick panel out tomorrow and take some more detailed photos and post them here again.

Cheers Rob

wildgu6
5th October 2012, 07:27 PM
Welcome aboard Tereasa, top mob here with tons of info and laughs,
Hope the above helped, it did for me as i never looked for mine.
Jump in and Enjoy,

Cheers Pete

Chrismia1
5th October 2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all your time rob....much appreciated

Yendor
6th October 2012, 06:12 PM
Hi Tereasa, welcome to the forum.

If your patrol is a 99 model it will be a GU.

Did the engine cut out or did you just try starting it and it wouldn't start.

What does it do when it won't start?, does the engine turn over? does it seem to turn over fast enough?

Does the glow plug light in the dash come on when the ignition is turned on? does the battery light in the dash come on when the ignition is turned on?

Have you just replaced the fuel filter?

The fuse for the glow plugs will be in the fusebox beside the battery, it is a 100amp fuse.

If it's a problem with the glow plugs the first thing I would check is the fuse, make sure it's not blown.

Then have a look at the connection where the wire connects onto the busbar for the glow plugs, make sure it has not melted or is corroded. Then check the connections at each glow plug.

If all this is ok you will then need to get a multimeter and measure the voltage at the glow plugs.

Chrismia1
6th October 2012, 07:06 PM
Hi yendor....yes it just wouldn't start one night ...lights all come on on the dash....will check the fuse....thanks heaps

Dhuck
6th October 2012, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Chrismia1
10th October 2012, 12:46 PM
thanks everyone for your help....turns out to be the head gasket.....

2TROLLFAM
10th October 2012, 02:01 PM
Welcome aboard !! As most (naahhh ALL) will agree this is a pretty awesome forum with a truck load of information to be found & fun to be had ... Hope you enjoy you're stay - the key is to participate :)

wildgu6
10th October 2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback Tereasa, what a bugga it couldnt be something simple. Good luck in a speedy fix