PDA

View Full Version : In the poop!

rusty_nut
5th October 2012, 01:31 AM
Hi all!
I just took possession of my '90 gq and I am really pleased with it, all except one thing. I didn't realize that there was no air con. I was so wrapped up in how great the condition was, that this didn't even enter my mind. Now I'm in the poop with the wife and I will need to fit air con.

How hard is it to do? Can any tell me what I will need parts wise or point me in the direction of some info?

Cheers

patch697
5th October 2012, 02:23 AM
Wow.... Tough break on that front, I don't think I've even seen one without aircon mate.....

Its not going to be an afternooner & not cheap either I'd expect but as for actually installing it into your Rig I can't see any problems in achieving that at all.

my third 256
5th October 2012, 02:43 AM
where are you and what model maybe check the wreckers for parts

MudRunnerTD
5th October 2012, 04:16 AM
Most of the Ford Mavericks had after market aircon fitted by ford. Everything will be there to bolt it up mate, wont be that big a deal. See what you can find at the wrecker in terms of hoses and stuff. I'd probably go a new compressor after you have found all the other stuff. This will likely cost you $1500 to $2000 to sort out mate, gassed and driving. Bugger!

MEGOMONSTER
5th October 2012, 05:34 AM
This could be your winter car, gives you an excuse to buy a summer car with air con. LOL, my Missus would have looked at air con first, radio second and the car third.

Sent from the secret chambers of our secret society, on a secret iPhone, with a secret pin code and eye retina scanning from a secret peep hole, just don't tell anyone OK, cos it's secret........

Irvs
5th October 2012, 07:37 AM
Don't even think I've turned my air con on since I first tested it. I use the 2 windows down at 80k's method. Air con tends to use up a fair bit of juice in my experience

rusty_nut
5th October 2012, 08:04 AM
In Wagga Wagga, I'll be looking around at the wreckers today.

Winnie
5th October 2012, 08:49 AM
Don't even think I've turned my air con on since I first tested it.

Same here, mega tight-ass and all I see when I look at the A/C button is $$$$$$$$$$$

BigRAWesty
5th October 2012, 09:54 AM
Myth busters proved that at anything above 60k/h the dag created by having windows fully down was more than the AC pump.
But they were new cars that were tested so outcomes may vary between others..

But yea, I need all the power I can get so my AC rarely gets used..

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

rusty_nut
5th October 2012, 08:27 PM
Found a complete a/c unit at a wreckers for $500, going to have a look at it tomorrow. Was told it came out of a gq with low k's.
I'm all for not using an a/c, but the Cook wins on this front every time. So I'm off to have a look at it.

BigRAWesty
5th October 2012, 08:47 PM
Good work. And good luck

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

mudski
6th October 2012, 08:55 PM
$500's a good deal. Hope it all goes well.
When i looked at the troll I have now I too got all tied up in excitement and forgot to check many things, like the a/c that didn't work, and therefor I got burnt. But we live and learn. I don't think it would be too hard to install. The wiring might be the trickiest but should just go straight in.
Happy days...

rusty_nut
6th October 2012, 11:27 PM
I took the patrol over to naranderra today to pick up the air con unit. The blokes at the wreckers were great, helped me look for the various parts on the wiring loom that I will need to connect, and double checked that what they were selling was the right unit. They spent a good 45 minutes showing me what to do and to look for ( great service).

It was the first big drive in the GQ and It didn't disappoint, drove like a new one. There isn't a rattle or squeak in it.

If anyone has a diagram or pictures of an air con unit installed, I would appreciate a look :D

Robo
7th October 2012, 02:21 AM
Pay to have a camera phone go to a car yard and take some pics and good look.
Nissan fast and a workshop manual.
very useful tools