PDA

View Full Version : Viscous Fan Hub

jKO
4th October 2012, 10:26 AM
Hi

First timer with a question relating to my 1993 GQY60 LWB safari:
I need a new viscous fan hub as there seems to be cracks and too much play in it. Priced up in new Zealand a Nissan new replacement incl. fan blade is NZ$815.00. Is this the normal price for such a part or am I getting ripped? Do any of you know where I might source it cheaper?

Cheers

Jake

threedogs
4th October 2012, 10:31 AM
Dont bother mate, get some twin thermo fans off a BA falcon I think, be a lot cheaper
and give you a few more ponies too.
$815 NZ ,,,,,really wow

mudnut
4th October 2012, 07:49 PM
Dont bother mate, get some twin thermo fans off a BA falcon I think, be a lot cheaper
and give you a few more ponies too.
$815 NZ ,,,,,really wow

That sounds like a good idea, but on an Rb30, where would the thermo to operate the fans be mounted?

NissanGQ4.2
4th October 2012, 07:57 PM
read this thread mate, and some of the links in members post: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3249-Viscous-fan-Replace-or-fit-twin-electric-fans

Cheers

Toddie

mudnut
4th October 2012, 09:05 PM
Just read through that thread. I was just interested in gaining a few more horses, cheaply, for the trol. I wont bother, to sacrifice reliability even though I've got a pair of old toyota fans and shrouds sitting in the bush bomb.

threedogs
4th October 2012, 09:49 PM
I thought the thermo sender just tucked in the top hose? You gunna fit fans sounds cheaper than $800 ?
I'd be doing the twin fans and shroud, fans are dirt cheap if they need replacing too.
What do you use your 4x4 for, Realise heaps of awesome driving your way

my third 256
5th October 2012, 12:52 AM
have you tried ebay

jKO
5th October 2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys, I hope to get this thing off road as soon as I am happy with some of the basics being nice and reliable. Where we are, we will have to be on the blacktop for awhile before getting to the tracks and might even be towing a light trailer so I think the viscous hub and thermostat will definitely need changing - the new hoses were a must as they were pretty much stuffed. Disconnected the rear heater for simplicity. Given the truck is bog standard and an import originally, it doesnt have some of the off road options of the Patrols. Whilst I'm replacing some of the cooling system, is there anything else which is prone to wear on the engine I should be checking for??

BigRAWesty
5th October 2012, 09:33 AM
Crack open the water pump and inspect for corrosion and the conditions of bearings. Also check thermostat and housing for corrosion while it's all apart and drained..
Give everything a good flush to.

Sent from a device which doesn't always agree with my thumbs...

77gze
5th October 2012, 10:41 PM
Way too expensive 250 here!